Author Topic: Taylor and NAMM  (Read 28059 times)

StratsRock

Taylor and NAMM
« on: December 20, 2012, 09:33:16 AM »
Anybody heard of any Taylor surprises/rumors/special editions at NAMM?
Gary

2012 Taylor 312ce
2012 Taylor BBT
2008 Fender American Standard Strat 3TSB RW
2011 Fender MIM Standard Strat 2TSB Maple

jalbert

• I should be practicing
Re: Taylor and NAMM
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2012, 09:45:13 AM »
Yes. But I'm not going to say exactly what. Give it another month or so and all will be answered...
James

'07 GA8-12
'19 Academy 12e-N

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2012, 12:48:33 PM »
Heck yeah, report back to us please, James! 
I know Taylor makes some beauties for the NAMM shows, but FWIW I had the great fortune a few years back to buy a Custom DN that was a former NAMM guitar.  Off-the-charts stunner ...as if every option box were checked off to "showcase" what the company can do.  But of course, bought it because it delivered "the tone" ...though being beautiful sure didn't hurt it none ;)

Which brings me to ask: anyone else here have/had a NAMM guitar?  I'd love to see what other beauties Taylor makes to entice/tease their merchants!!

Edward

StratsRock

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2012, 02:37:59 PM »
Yes. But I'm not going to say exactly what. Give it another month or so and all will be answered...

How about a couple of clues. C'mon it's Christmas.
Gary

2012 Taylor 312ce
2012 Taylor BBT
2008 Fender American Standard Strat 3TSB RW
2011 Fender MIM Standard Strat 2TSB Maple

Picker 'n Grinner

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2012, 05:58:37 AM »
'fess up ... what do you know?
RJM
814CE BTO
914CE
Taylor 12 Fret
Taylor Presentation 914CE
Martin 000-28
Martin HD-35
Martin D-42
Martin D-35-12
Collings D2HA

jalbert

• I should be practicing
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2012, 12:32:59 PM »
Nope. Not gonna do it. Gotta protect my "sources".  8)

All I can say is that I will be surprised if the rumor is true. It doesn't make much sense to me!
James

'07 GA8-12
'19 Academy 12e-N

theguitarguru

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2012, 01:12:50 PM »
How do you get tickets to get in to NAMM? anybody? any hookups? I live 20 minutes from Anaheim... that's the event place right?
If you registered in this forum, you are my 2nd family

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2012, 01:48:39 PM »
I am pretty sure that you have to be a dealer/wholesaler/Manufacturer or otherwise connected to the retail side of the musical instrument business.  Do you have a resale license?  if you do you could probable get a ticket.
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.

theguitarguru

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2012, 01:58:11 PM »
Well, I was hoping for a dealer/retailer to have extra tickets and sell one to me... :)
If you registered in this forum, you are my 2nd family

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2012, 02:29:02 PM »
Well, I was hoping for a dealer/retailer to have extra tickets and sell one to me... :)
Don't believe it works that way.  you'll need a name badge, most likely you pre-register with all your store information.  It's not like going to the basketball game.  It's serious business for the manufactures and distributors and dealers. ;)
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.

jjrpilot-admin

• UTGF Owner
  • Administrator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2012, 02:37:14 PM »
Maybe an "OM" body style? Seems like I heard rumors about it...
« Last Edit: December 27, 2012, 02:38:58 PM by jjrpilot-admin »
Col 1:15 "that in everything He might be preeminent."
2016 324 (Mahogany top/Tasmanian Blackwood b&s)
2017 Gibson J-45 Standard

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2012, 02:54:41 PM »
Hey guitarguru,

As mgap said, it's a "Music Merchant's" convention.  You must be a dealer/retailer or otherwise connected in "the biz."  "Regular" folks get in (as I have) by virtue of a buddy in the biz who gets you in ...but it is a pre-registration thing...all before the event official like.   But I must add that even though regular folks get in, this is a sellers' convention and their intent is to sell/deal/incite interest to retailers for quantity sales.  So while a booth here and there may cater to an individual, that's not at all their goal, and some merchants frown a bit on the individual guy walking up asking Qs ...they know non-merchants are there, but some reps are less-than-thrilled by it.  Afterall, you're taking up their time and potential business connection so it makes sense that they want to devote their energy toward real retailers.  If you end up going by virtue of someone else, simply be sensitive to their desires to devote time/energy to merchants.

On that note, these shows are a blast.  Bring a camera, be a nice guy and smile a lot, and absorb the organized mahem.  BTW, in the few I have been to, Taylor's room  has been the largest and nicest by a large margin, IMHO.  And I am a big Fender/Gibby guy, and the Taylor room was nothing short of phenominal.  Not to mention they roll out some great performers!  Just sayin :D

Edward

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2012, 03:24:59 PM »
i'm pretty sure winter NAMM has been designed to be industry-only -
there was a public day at summer NAMM 12 & a 'wanna play' day in summer 11
it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/

jrporter

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2012, 05:19:28 PM »

What was the point of this post?

Herb Hunter

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2012, 07:19:52 PM »
In 1997 or 1998, the owner of a guitar shop where I had spent a quite a bit of money offered me his ticket to the Summer NAMM show in Nashville which I accepted. My name badge listed me as an employee of the guitar shop. There were a couple of occasions when vendors, upon seeing my badge, began their sales pitch so I informed them that I was there as a guest of the store and not as an employee.