Author Topic: NGD and it's finally home!  (Read 9243 times)

oatordeal

• Veteran Member
  • Manila, Philippines
NGD and it's finally home!
« on: November 21, 2012, 08:13:35 AM »
hey guys, i just purchased a brand new 814ce (natural) from Jim at guitarrodeo! thing is, i live outside of the US, and shipping it is very expensive. the timing couldn't be more perfect since my cousin is going home this Dec8. So, to save some money for the shipping, i shipped the guitar to my cousin's and she will personally deliver it to me once she comes home. Longest 2 1/2 weeks for me right here.  can't wait to play it, post some pics here and tell you guys how it sounds!

one question though, will the airline people allow my cousin to hand carry the guitar, or should it be checked-in? thanks
« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 03:24:37 AM by oatordeal »
Best regards,
Nims

814ce 2012
GS Mini Hog 2015
'52ri Fender Telecaster 2007

jrporter

• Veteran Member
Re: NGD! but not until the 8th of Dec
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2012, 08:27:55 AM »
Congrats on your new guitar. FWIW the 814ce is my go-to guitar at Guitar Center in that after trying out a bunch of instruments, I'll pick up an 814ce and know, "That's the one."

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2012, 09:08:37 AM »
You will enjoy the 814 I a certain of it, I have two of them and love them.  I doubt the airline will allow it in the cabin, it is a big box.
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.

Captain Jim

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2012, 09:21:23 AM »
I am LOVING the 814ce I bought from Guitar Rodeo.  I "feel your pain" about the wait, but the pleasure on the other side of that makes it worthwhile.   :)  A suggestion regarding bringing the guitar on the airline: the box is large...

I can't imagine the airline will allow that in the cabin.  If your cousin takes the case out of the box (easier to handle), there is the chance that it would still have to be checked as luggage... the case is going to take a beating with the checked luggage.  Leave the guitar in that shipping box and check it through... better chance that the guitar and case will arrive unscathed.

Exciting time while you wait - even more exciting when you open the box!  Keep us posted, and congratulations!

Best wishes,
Captain Jim

2014 Taylor 522ce 12-fret
2012 Taylor 814ce
2006 Taylor T-5
2011 Taylor GSmini
2013 Rainsong Shorty SG-FLE
Gibson ES-335-TDC (1965)
Bose L1 Compact
Roland Cube-ST
Fishman Loudbox Mini

SkyHigh

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2012, 09:30:12 AM »
You basically have two option.

1. Take it out of the box and carry the guitar in the hard case in hopes that they will allow you to take it in the cabin.

2. Leave it in the box and check it in like an extra baggage. Depending on your cousins bag quantity and what airline, this may be done for free or they will charge your extra.

If it was my guitar, I would choose option #2.

I have carried 3 guitars to international flight. Once in a gig bag(in cabin) and other times I checked it in it's box.

HOWEVER please do remember it varies airline to airline and person to person. Depending on how much guitarrodeo would have quoted, you might have just had it shipped to you.

Fire

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2012, 12:08:29 PM »
one question though, will the airline people allow my cousin to hand carry the guitar, or should it be checked-in? thanks

I highly recommend calling the airlines first or check out their websites for policies on musical instruments. Here's one from Philippine Airlines:

"Guitars cannot fit in the overhead compartment of the aircraft or under the passenger seats. To ensure accommodation on flight, all guitars shall be accepted only as check-in baggage whether contained in a hard or soft case. It shall be included in the free baggage allowance of the passenger.

Other musical instruments that cannot fit in the overhead compartment should be checked-in."

If I was in your position, I would rather pay the additional baggage fee (normally $150) unless your cousin is generous enough to let you use one of her baggage allowances.  Dealing with customs at NAIA (Manila Airport) is easier than dealing with Customs at Fedex or DHL (if you choose to have it shipped directly there). Taxes can be ridiculously high up to 100% of the value of the goods.

So if you know anyone with "political clout", have them meet your cousin upon arrival in Manila to deal with customs.

As far as hand carry (cabin luggage) is concerned, don't leave it to chance. Airlines have cabin luggage dimension limits. And even if they let you carry the guitar in the cabin (highly unlikely), going through stopover airports is a huge hassle as you have to carry the guitar through the various checkpoints each time opening the case for inspection of the guitar.
2011 Taylor FLTD GA Koa 12-Fret
2015 Taylor T5z Pro
2015 Martin 000-15m

oatordeal

• Veteran Member
  • Manila, Philippines
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2012, 04:50:23 AM »

I highly recommend calling the airlines first or check out their websites for policies on musical instruments. Here's one from Philippine Airlines:

"Guitars cannot fit in the overhead compartment of the aircraft or under the passenger seats. To ensure accommodation on flight, all guitars shall be accepted only as check-in baggage whether contained in a hard or soft case. It shall be included in the free baggage allowance of the passenger.

Other musical instruments that cannot fit in the overhead compartment should be checked-in."

If I was in your position, I would rather pay the additional baggage fee (normally $150) unless your cousin is generous enough to let you use one of her baggage allowances.  Dealing with customs at NAIA (Manila Airport) is easier than dealing with Customs at Fedex or DHL (if you choose to have it shipped directly there). Taxes can be ridiculously high up to 100% of the value of the goods.

So if you know anyone with "political clout", have them meet your cousin upon arrival in Manila to deal with customs.

As far as hand carry (cabin luggage) is concerned, don't leave it to chance. Airlines have cabin luggage dimension limits. And even if they let you carry the guitar in the cabin (highly unlikely), going through stopover airports is a huge hassle as you have to carry the guitar through the various checkpoints each time opening the case for inspection of the guitar.

thanks for the heads-up. i guess i leaving it inside the box is the safest bet for me.
thanks everyone for your comments/ suggestions. i'll update you guys as soon as i get it.
Best regards,
Nims

814ce 2012
GS Mini Hog 2015

BigSkyTaylorPlayer

• Veteran Member
  • Are we there yet.....
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2012, 05:00:01 PM »
Ask her to loosen the strings and put some support (bubble-wrap, towel, socks, etc) around and under the headstock.  If the guitar is tossed....see "United Breaks Guitars" it is most likely to snap where the headstock meets the neck so some extra cushioning will help.

jjrpilot-admin

• UTGF Owner
  • Administrator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2012, 09:51:46 PM »
Ask her to loosen the strings and put some support (bubble-wrap, towel, socks, etc) around and under the headstock.  If the guitar is tossed....see "United Breaks Guitars" it is most likely to snap where the headstock meets the neck so some extra cushioning will help.

YES to this!
Col 1:15 "that in everything He might be preeminent."
2016 324 (Mahogany top/Tasmanian Blackwood b&s)
2017 Gibson J-45 Standard

oatordeal

• Veteran Member
  • Manila, Philippines
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2012, 07:26:21 AM »
thanks taylorplayer. i also told my cousin to stuff the box with shirts and other cloth fabric materials to minimize the case from moving inside the box. it's almost december now. i. just. can't. wait.  :(
Best regards,
Nims

814ce 2012
GS Mini Hog 2015

cigarfan

• Veteran Member
  • If He comes today ...........are you ready?
    • I Ignite!
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2012, 01:06:24 PM »
Blackbird, Froggy Bottom, Gibson, Goodall, Hatcher,
Kanile'a, Kinnard, Kwasnycia, Martin, Rainsong,
Ryan, Santa Cruz, Taylor, Voyage Air, Weber

oatordeal

• Veteran Member
  • Manila, Philippines
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2012, 12:50:54 AM »
Countdown to NGD

nice one cigarfan! i keep on bugging my cousin to check on the guitar everyday! i really love her patience in all this! and she understands me very well with my guitar GAS needs. on time, she even bought me a guitar pedal that was not available here locally. i'll keep the countdown on my browser's tab. thanks!  :D
Best regards,
Nims

814ce 2012
GS Mini Hog 2015

SkyHigh

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2012, 10:39:12 AM »
It's December 8th where you are right???
Full review please! :)

cigarfan

• Veteran Member
  • If He comes today ...........are you ready?
    • I Ignite!
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2012, 12:17:36 PM »
It's December 8th where you are right???

Not yet ... about 15 hours to go till delivery (assuming 5:00 p.m. delivery).
Blackbird, Froggy Bottom, Gibson, Goodall, Hatcher,
Kanile'a, Kinnard, Kwasnycia, Martin, Rainsong,
Ryan, Santa Cruz, Taylor, Voyage Air, Weber

American Red

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2012, 04:15:46 PM »
Are we there yet?

How much longer..

Are we there yet?

We need a splashdown report, then an unboxing report, then a first tune and play report, followed by an evening report and then finally the full review on Monday..

The actual and official NGD ends on Monday at Midnight...

Oh, and don't forget to say "hi" to your cousin...

« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 04:31:58 PM by American Red »