Author Topic: My 2011 GS8e review - one year later!  (Read 5189 times)

jjrpilot-admin

• UTGF Owner
  • Administrator
  • Veteran Member
My 2011 GS8e review - one year later!
« on: August 05, 2012, 01:58:41 AM »
Hi all!  Well I only have 1 Taylor, but I absolutely LOVE it!

It's been a smidgen more than a year since I purchased my new 2011 GS8e.  I ordered it through Don and Marty and Wildwood Music in Ohio.  When I place my order it, they didn't have any in stock, so it took about a month before I got it.  It was awesome knowing that it was super fresh from El Cajon. 

There is NOTHING like seeing the delivery guy come marching up to your door with that beautiful Taylor Guitars box.  I immediately tore into it and couldn't believe the quality, grain of the wood etc.  The sound was even more aweome.  I know that every guitar owner goes through a "honeymoon" phase right after he/she gets it.  I hope the following review will help those who might be interested in a GS8.

Playability: First of all most Taylors come stock with a 1 3/4" nut width.  I have smaller hands, and I was used to playing my Alvarez which had a 1 11/16" width.  It took a little while getting used to, but not long at all, given the ease at which Taylor guitars play.  The medium strings were the hardest to overcome.  The Alvarez was strung using lights.  My fingers wanted to die for the first couple of weeks.  My fingers are now used to it, and I've come to love the bolder sound of the mediums.

Sound/Tone:  This GS8, sounds like a church bell!  Really loud, but not an annoyingly so.  The sound is rich and full.  I couldn't believe the difference in sound between the GS8 and my other guitar.  The GS8's sound was soooo rich and lush that I felt as if I could have reached out and pulled the notes out of the air with my hands. 

The Sitka really does give the treble a nice "punch" and the EIR definitely adds to the lower end. The bass is strong but not overpowering.  Like most Sitka/EIR owners out there...the mids, aren't as strong as Mahogany. DISCLAIMER here...just because the mids aren't as strong as Mahogany, DOESN'T mean that the mids are non existent.   ;)  I have noticed that the guitar is "opening" up.  I play quite a bit at church, and by just playing every week at practice etc, the guitar has lost that "new" guitar sound.  Here's the kicker...I know that the guitar hasn't even begun to reach it's full potential.  I know that it takes years, and years for the guitar to mature etc, and I'm loving every minute of the process.  I remember Bob Taylor saying that he wishes we all kept our guitars for about 10-15 years (if I'm not mistaken) as to really get that mature sound out of it.

Size/Body style
: The GS size in general is very versatile.  Smaller than a Dreadnaught, but able to produce a dreadnaught like sound.  Finger picking is also a delight.  Some guitars seem as if they're better suited for strumming chords, while others seem like they're better suited for finger picking.  The GS style excels at both...to me it's the perfect combination.  Not only is it a powerful strummer, but given it's size, even the finger picking comes through nice and clear...definitely full.  It's nice and comfortable to hold.  I have long arms so it's not difficult to play sitting down.

Electronics: I know that some are big fans of the latest ES system and that some aren't.  I never had any experience with the 1st generation ES system, but I can tell you that I'm thoroughly pleased with the generation 2 ES system.  One of the draws for me besides the sound, is the ease at which one can control the sound.  1 knob for Treble, 1 knob for Bass, and 1 knob for volume.  They couldn't have designed it better.  When playing through a sound system, I normally have my volume knob at dead center.  The treble and bass knobs are turned to 9 o'clock, and the sound couldn't be better.

Please forgive any typos/run on sentences etc...it's 1am in the morning and I'm pooped!  I hope this has been helpful.

I give this GS8 5 out of 5 stars.  It's everything I ever wanted in a guitar.

Col 1:15 "that in everything He might be preeminent."
2016 324 (Mahogany top/Tasmanian Blackwood b&s)
2017 Gibson J-45 Standard

Steely Glen

• UTGF Member #2
Re: My 2011 GS8e review - one year later!
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2012, 09:11:06 AM »
Josh, great review.  I've had my 816ce about 18 months now and share many of the same sentiments as you.  The Grand Symphony shape is a great addition to the Taylor line, for sure. 
Taylor Guitars & Gear:
2010 Taylor 816ce
2011 Taylor 714ce
2005 Taylor 555ce
Taylor K4 Preamp

gdeleo

• Veteran Member
  • Baton Rouge, LA
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2012, 09:41:28 AM »
Josh, I really enjoyed your review. 
Gary
2013 Bourgeois OMC Custom
2014 Collings OM2HVN

Giraku

• I play exclusively fingerstyle.
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2012, 09:43:16 AM »
Great review!!
I'm thinking about GS or Dread. This review convinced me to go for a GS. ;)
‘18 Taylor K14ce Builder’s Edition (Koa / Torrefied Sitka Spruce)
'16 Taylor 514ce LTD (Granadillo / Cedar)
'16 Taylor K22e LTD (All Koa)
'15 Martin D41 Purple Martin #29 of 50 (Cocobolo / Adirondack Spruce)
Sound Clips are here.

ataylor

• Veteran Member
    • I'm recording an album -- check it out on Kickstarter!
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2012, 03:41:01 PM »
I think this post needs a "one year later" photo or three. :)
2005 Taylor 210 (sitka/sapele)

cjd-player

• Veteran Member
  • Near Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2012, 05:49:49 PM »
Very nice review, Josh.

I'm glad you like your guitar so much.  That makes playing so much more fun.
Carl
2010 BTO GC, Redwood on EI Rosewood
2010 312ce, kept in DADGAD
2006 814ce LTD, Sitka on Mad Rosewood
2013 Composite Acoustics OX-Raw

dougboy1970

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2012, 07:54:51 PM »
Great review, Josh.  I've had my 2008 GS8e since January 2010 and it's really starting to open up, as you pointed out.   I wish mine had the newer ES, but I have the older one with two sensors on the top.   I began to get a lot more out of my ES when I started using aTRS Balanced Cable and now I really enjoy it.  I also fought the medium strings for my finger picking style and have branched out to elixir light-medium which has the high e, b and g strings as lights and the low e, a and d strings as mediums.  I've also as of late been trying the Martin FX (flexible core) light mediums which has the high e as .125, right in between light and medium.  These strings are really gooey and easy to play, so they almost feel like custom lights, but they also don't have the sound of the elixirs (in my view).  One could get full medium Martin FX strings and still find them easier to play due to their flexibility.  But they don't come coated so I'm going to go back to the Elixir's, which IMO sound better on Taylor guitars anyway.  Ok, sorry about the string review, but thought I would add my two cents in that.  I may even go back to all mediums just bring back the boldness.  It's fun to experiment.  Here's to many more years enjoying our GS8e's!