Author Topic: My Wife Gave Me A Wonderful Guitar For My Birthday  (Read 4388 times)

mdunn

My Wife Gave Me A Wonderful Guitar For My Birthday
« on: May 09, 2012, 10:50:51 PM »
My Birthday is, April 1st, but prior to my birthday I have been traveling around the Chicago area taking pictures of the Taylor Road Shows.

Thursday night my wife and I headed to the first one. Normally she would not attend a Road Show, but she was chauffering me because I had had a new lens placed in my right eye on Tuesday and I didn't want to drive at night. We were very early and while I headed into the dealer she window shopped up and down the street.

I stopped in guitar the dealer just to look around. The actual Road Show was going to be down the street in a large meeting hall. I wandered into the high end guitar room to see what was hanging on the wall and there was one Yairi-Alvarez. Since I own two already I took it down and played it. It was wonderful; as most Yairi's are. It was also very different. It had a graphite neck. The fret board was fully inlayed and the wood was stunning. I looked at the label and it was a DY-99A. Anything from DY 95 up in Yairi's is usually a limited production guitar and the best wood they have. The date on the label was 1993.

My wife wandered into the store and I showed her the guitar and played it for a minute or so. Now you have to understand that I have held myself in check and not purchased any guitars for several years. I have told my wife that once we retire and move to New Mexico I plan on adding a couple; but as much as I lust for a couple new Taylors I am not going to spend the money.

The guitar has a tag on it with a price that is very good to begin with. Well my wife asks the dealer what would you take for the guitar? Before he told her that he tells us the story of this particular guitar. He has been an Alvarez and Yairi dealer for a long time. At the NAMM show in Nashville in 1994 he purchased all the Yairi display guitars, including the DY-99A I just played. The DY-99A was made specifically for the NAMM show. All the guitars were shipped to the dealer and were subsequentially sold by the dealer. He put this one away and never offered it for sale until reciently. And then he said "you have to see the case for the guitar. It is custom made and is solid wood.

He disappeared down into the basement and retrieved the case which also has a canvas zipper cover to protect the wooden case!

My wife makes an offer to the dealer that is lower than the tag price. At this point I am telling my wife we don't need to spend the money and as nice as it is I really don't need another guitar. But she persists and the dealer says let me think about it. We wander off the the meeting hall site of the Road Show. A few minutes later the dealer comes in and tells my wife OK. I will sell it to you at the offer you made. Thanks to my wonderful wife I am the owner of a very rare and highly collectable Yairi guitar. My April fools day present was not a joke!

The guitar is wonderful. It has the most sustain I have ever heard from a guitar! It is balanced sonically and it responds to everything from finger picking to hard driving strumming. The top is sitka and the back in Indian Rosewood.

It is also very rare. I am going to speak to St. Louis Music on Monday. There is one individual there who is the expert on Yairi. Also our own member Yairiluvr has a lot of knowledge about Yairi's. He has never seen one listed as a DY-99A. I think we have some digging to do.

I am going to have to get documentation from the dealer that this guitar is infact a NOS guitar so that I can register it with St. Louis Music. They are the importer of Yairi guitars into the USA.

Jerry Garcia had one but it's whereabouts are unknown. Jerry never got is mitts on mine; so it doesn't have that provenance. In recient months two have sold on E-Bay for a tidy sum.

Here is mine.

The case is made of laminated Mahogany. It is arched over the body and the interior has pads to hold the guitar firm.

1957 Gibson RB-150 5 string banjo.
1983 Yairi - Alvarez DY 73
1992 Taylor K-20
1993 Yair - Alvarez DY99A
2001 Yairi-Alvarez DY-91
2002 Taylor Stock 810 Ltd.
2003 Taylor 855e
2003 Taylor 814ce Fall Ltd
2003 Tradition Jerry Reid Sig. Telecaster

mdunn

Re: My Wife Gave Me A Wonderful Guitar For My Birthday
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2012, 10:58:57 PM »
Here are some additional photos.

This shows the graphite neck.  They were made up of small pieces of material.  The flash shows some of the random pattern.

Here is the head stock.  All the DY-98's (also a graphite necked guitar) and DY-99's have a flaw.  If you look at the placement of the G tuner it is out of line and slightly turned.

Here is the guitar with the covered wood case.

My three Yarir's L to R DY 73 Mahogany/Spruce; DY-91 Koa/Spruce and DY-99A Roswood/Spruce

1957 Gibson RB-150 5 string banjo.
1983 Yairi - Alvarez DY 73
1992 Taylor K-20
1993 Yair - Alvarez DY99A
2001 Yairi-Alvarez DY-91
2002 Taylor Stock 810 Ltd.
2003 Taylor 855e
2003 Taylor 814ce Fall Ltd
2003 Tradition Jerry Reid Sig. Telecaster

jjrpilot-admin

• UTGF Owner
  • Administrator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2012, 11:47:56 PM »
the inlay throughout the fret board is stunning...   :o
Col 1:15 "that in everything He might be preeminent."
2016 324 (Mahogany top/Tasmanian Blackwood b&s)
2017 Gibson J-45 Standard

CodeBlueEMT

• Veteran Member
  • In Dog Beers, I've Only Had One
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2012, 01:17:20 AM »
 Wow. After viewing those guitars, I almost forgot the story. Sounds like you've found something extra special. Enjoy.

Shayne

2023 Gibson Custom '57 Les Paul Goldtop
2017 Taylor T5z Pro SE "Erwin"
2014 Taylor 524ce
2013 Martin 000-28EC Sunburst
2011 Taylor 314ce
2008 Taylor SB-1 Classic
1999 Taylor XXV-DR 25th Anniversary
Hard Knocks Custom Esquire "Miss Bettie"

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2012, 08:36:06 AM »
WOW, Nice guitar.  I'll bet it is a pleasure to play.  The wood case is very cool as well, I have never seen one before other than in pictures.   
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.

gdeleo

• Veteran Member
  • Baton Rouge, LA
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2012, 12:41:20 PM »
Congrats on your new purchase.  It is stunning as well as your wife for doing this for you.  I would be sure to keep them both!
Gary
2013 Bourgeois OMC Custom
2014 Collings OM2HVN

Gutch

• Veteran Member
    • www.davegutshall.com
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2012, 12:32:25 PM »
Very nice, Mike!  Love the case!!!  Play her in good health -- And Happy Belated Birthday!!!
‎"Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything."
-- Plato