Author Topic: Are Mexican Taylors real Taylors?  (Read 55877 times)

thebigz

Re: Are Mexican Taylors real Taylors?
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2012, 07:34:14 PM »
When I took the tour last January, the guy said that the Tecate plant actually has more sophisticated machinery because they fine tune it there and then it makes its El Cajon appearance. 

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2012, 07:42:09 PM »
I taker back everything I said about the Tecate factory guitars, I was wrong, they really are not Taylors.  So what you should do is send it to me and you go get yourself a real Talyor made in the USA. 

Well it is something to consider, I would take it for you-no charge. ;D
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.

Steve

• Veteran Member
    • Steve Parr Photography
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2012, 10:45:51 AM »
I own a Tecate built Taylor GSmini. Unbelievably good for such a small package. It sounds like a Taylor! Doesn't matter where it was made ...

I own one of the US Made GS Mini prototypes. You'd be hard-pressed to tell it from its Mexican counterpart.

I'd provide a photo, but it's on a sort of permenant loan to a friend in Tennessee...
No one has ever been on their death-bed wishing they'd been more practical...

cigarfan

• Veteran Member
  • If He comes today ...........are you ready?
    • I Ignite!
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2012, 10:58:20 AM »
.... but it's on a sort of permanent loan to a friend in Tennessee...

LOL  ;) Been there!
Blackbird, Froggy Bottom, Gibson, Goodall, Hatcher,
Kanile'a, Kinnard, Kwasnycia, Martin, Rainsong,
Ryan, Santa Cruz, Taylor, Voyage Air, Weber

e8n

« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2012, 05:36:40 PM »
After playing a Rogue my Dad bought me for 50 bucks ten years ago (a guitar i will cherish for the rest of my life), my Taylor plays like magic.  I'm left handed so I had to pick carefully and special order the lefty version of what i played in the store.  It was such a big purchase in my life (a reward for getting my first teaching job after years of work) I was a little worried that I would have to defend myself to haters out there and my experience with the X series Martin shook me.  The owner of the store told me not to buy it because it wasnt made in America and wasnt a real Martin.  After playing I got it because it didnt sound good, but all the Taylors sounded the same when I played them.  Very happy with my 110 and plan to cherish it for years to come!  Enjoy yours!

After reading many forums and messages about guitars, guitar playing, guitar choices etc over the years it is refreshing to see someone with the right attitude about their cool new guitar.  I'm glad you love it and don't EVER let anyone tell you differently!

Congrats and welcome to the Taylor world and the forum.  I hope your next 7 years with your Taylor are as good as they have been with your Rogue.

-Dave
2011 Taylor Custom GS (Adi/Rosewood)
2012 Taylor 814LTD Spring Limited
2008 Fender Telecaster
2010 Kentucky Mandolin

Guitars of the past: Alvarez AD60, 2007 Taylor 110ce, 2006 Taylor 710ce, Taylor 2008 GS Fall Ltd, 2010 Taylor 814ce, 2010 Taylor K26c,2010 Taylor Custom DN, Taylor 714ce

andyi5

« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2012, 06:27:35 PM »
I own a Tecate built Taylor GSmini. Unbelievably good for such a small package. It sounds like a Taylor! Doesn't matter where it was made ...

I own one of the US Made GS Mini prototypes. You'd be hard-pressed to tell it from its Mexican counterpart.

I'd provide a photo, but it's on a sort of permenant loan to a friend in Tennessee...

One day that'd be worth a fortune if you marketed it the right way. "Ultra rare US model" and "exquisite tone" in the same sentence...   ;D

jjrpilot-admin

• UTGF Owner
  • Administrator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2012, 06:30:34 PM »
They are definitely real Taylors!

Got me thinking.....with GM outsourcing to other countries, are those GM cars truely GM?  We have a John Deere farm tractor....I know they have factories in several other countries....are they really John Deere tractors?  With today's world market, you could say that about pretty much everything.....computers, clothing, instruments, etc....

If people make that claim that your guitar is not a Taylor, consider it jealousy.

Excellent post!  ;D
Col 1:15 "that in everything He might be preeminent."
2016 324 (Mahogany top/Tasmanian Blackwood b&s)
2017 Gibson J-45 Standard

Steve

• Veteran Member
    • Steve Parr Photography
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2012, 12:23:29 AM »
One day that'd be worth a fortune if you marketed it the right way. "Ultra rare US model" and "exquisite tone" in the same sentence...   ;D

Nah, I'd give it to my buddy before I ever sold it...

Captain Jim

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2012, 09:32:40 AM »

Nah, I'd give it to my buddy before I ever sold it...

Sounds like maybe you already did... tough decision: keep the friend, lose the guitar.  Yeah, I'm gonna miss that friend.  ;D
2014 Taylor 522ce 12-fret
2012 Taylor 814ce
2006 Taylor T-5
2011 Taylor GSmini
2013 Rainsong Shorty SG-FLE
Gibson ES-335-TDC (1965)
Bose L1 Compact
Roland Cube-ST
Fishman Loudbox Mini

egkor

« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2012, 11:17:55 AM »
I never thought about it (or cared) until you asked the question.

Every Taylor is a "real" Taylor and if someone thinks otherwise its their problem.

-Gary K
Taylor- 614ce (2012), 315ce (2010)
Martin- DX1 (2009)

Steve

• Veteran Member
    • Steve Parr Photography
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2012, 11:33:24 AM »
Sounds like maybe you already did... tough decision: keep the friend, lose the guitar.  Yeah, I'm gonna miss that friend.  ;D

Nah, he's a good dude.

Here's a post I made back in February about him and my GS Mini:

This is my GS Mini in the hands of my good friend in Chattanooga, Holt Webb:

Now, the story behind his getting it:

Holt started a project a couple years ago called "Vanishing America" (http://www.vanishingamerica.net/). He's an amazing photographer, and his idea was to drive around the country, for five years, photographing things which would be gone in the next couple of generations. A very generous individual in San Diego bought him a motorhome and a Land Rover, and paid for both of them to be converted to biofuel.

When he would come to San Diego, he would park his motorhome up near the zoo. I would drive over and take him out for sushi, then we'd go back to the motorhome and have a couple beers. Well, one night, I pulled his guitar out of its case. It was an older Washburn. The action was horrible, and the strings were so old I thought I'd need a tetanus shot after playing it. The case also took up a lot of room in the motorhome. So, I got his parent's address from him (he was still travelling then) and told him I was going to send him something. I sent him the guitar, with the ES Go installed.

It's one of the GS Mini prototypes that was built in San Diego.

Sadly, Holt's project costs about five grand a month to keep on the road, and he just wasn't able to sustain it. He manages a bar in Tennessee now, but wants to put the project back on the road one day. I know, if I ever hit the lottery, Holt's going to be back on the road for a long time, because I'll give him a great big pile of money...

CodeBlueEMT

• Veteran Member
  • In Dog Beers, I've Only Had One
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2012, 10:27:18 PM »
 I wouldn't have a problem buying a MIM Taylor, other than a lack of funds.  8)
Shayne

2017 Taylor T5z Pro SE "Erwin"
2014 Taylor 524ce
2013 Martin 000-28EC Sunburst
2013 Taylor 616ce-LTD (African Ebony)
2012 Gibson USA Angus Young SG
2012 Taylor GSce-FLTD (Quilted Sapele)
2011 Taylor 314ce
2008 Taylor SB-1 Classic
1999 Taylor XXV-DR
Hard Knocks Custom Esquire "Miss Bettie"

remshooter

« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2012, 10:51:50 PM »
Every Taylor is a "real" Taylor and if someone thinks otherwise its their problem.

-Gary K

(thumbsup)  ;D
Todd

2011 Taylor 114e
2001 Taylor 310
1969 Silvertone 319

Bigdogjer

« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2012, 02:39:49 AM »
The Martin X series is not a guitar of questionable quality because it is made in Mexico. It is a guitar of questionable quality because of the matierals used in making it (HPL--High Pressure Laminate, i.e., baked goo). If this guitar retailed for 300 or less, it perhaps should/would be considered for a low price entry guitar. I believe the lowest of that series retails for more than twice that price. I think Martin may be considering manufacturing their 15 series guitars in Mexico, if they haven't already. They do manufacture all of their strings there now.
Obviously, Martin makes some great guitars, but Taylors' entry and intermediate series are, IMO, far superior. I played some of the Martin 16's before buying my DN3 ( Oh, my Lordy, it's mine!) and, well, I think you can tell which one I thought was  the best.
Now, those HD28's.....

zipzapp29

« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2012, 11:54:56 AM »
IMO of course...

If the guitar is Bob Taylors design, made in a building owned by Taylor, by employees paid by Taylor, i dont care if Umpa-Loompas are producing it in a Galaxy far far away. Its unequivocally a Taylor  ;D