Author Topic: Advice re T5 please . . .  (Read 8777 times)

capndar

• Margaritaville, NC, USA.
Re: Advice re T5 please . . .
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2013, 09:03:06 PM »
Hello folks

I recently bought a 2008 T5 spruce top....I play out (in public) acoustic but the tendinitis and arthritis in the left had were getting to me so I looked for a guitar that I could play for hours but still give me an acoustic sound through the PA....

I got the easy playability but am still struggling to get the truest acoustic sound.  This looks like the best thread to post the question.  What string/guitar setting combination will get me closest to an a acoustic  sound?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions

Capndar
Capndar

There's just' too much to see waiting in front of me....

Taylor T5 Spruce top
Takemine 330 (1986?)
Martin LMXE
Tahini Uke
Assorted others

dcopper

« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2013, 07:56:48 AM »
IMHO I would stick with the 12-52 Elixir electric strings. Having the wound "G" and slightly thicker gauge beefs up the tone and stabilizes the tuning. You will not suffer real loss of any acoustic tone but will gain the added ease of playability for your hands. You should experiment though and try a set of acoustic strings as well, just do not go to a set of super lights or any gauge lower than a .12 on your high E. Keep your setup simple- try experimenting with the onboard active eq which is very responsive. I use position 2 most of the time for what I find to be the true tone of the guitar. If you want a bit more "air" then you can use position 1 which activates the body sensor. You could add a tube type preamp to warm up the tone but I have found that the less in the signal chain for the acoustic tones, the better it sounds. Sometimes when either room acoustics or the sound system made me feel that my tone was "thin", I would use a SansAmp Acoustic DI (not made anymore but there is an Acoustic Driver) that would thicken up the tone some. After using/buying/trading so many pedals to use with the T5, I found for ease of use and good clean tones, the Boss ME70 works very well for me. For most straight acoustic applications however, I go straight into the board. Read some of my T5 posts and Coldshot's posts and also other forum members posts on the T5.  You will see how versatile and also how "misunderstood" the T5 is. I find it is a do-all guitar for me and can cover anything I want to play. The biggest thing is that it is its own animal- a T5. Once you get it, you get it.
Have fun.
davidc
2011 914ce
2012 814ce TBSS
2012 Spring LTD 814ce Cocobolo
2012 FLTD GAce Quilted Sapele
2003 NS74ce coco
T5Custom KOA
T5 Standard Bl
PRSs/Brian Moore C45P/89 Strat
Too many gizmos and amps!

coldshot

• Express Yourself
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2013, 06:28:08 PM »
G day capndar, what are you using for amplification?

Most of the guys I have helped with their acoustic tone were using an acoustic amp which was usually the culprit. try not to colour your sound too much, start out with everything flat and slight adjustments do the trick, especially with the T5's pre amp controls.

I prefer to go straight into the desk or pa these days, I also use elixir electrics in .012's with the wound g string.

The Taylor K4 does help as did a G Natural, although I don't use either anymore.

Experiment is the answer to good tone with the T5.

Let us know how you go.

Cheers.
2009 Taylor 35th anniversary Cocobolo GS
2009 Taylor All Mahogany 8 string (modified from a 12 string).
2004 Taylor GA5
2006 Taylor T5 Koa
2010 Gibson 335 Custom
1995 Gibson J35 Ltd
2000 Gibson L5 CES Custom

capndar

« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2013, 09:58:41 PM »
Thanks gents

I am running straight into my PA....trying position 1 so far and trying flat eq in the guitar

Working with some eq on the board

Will keep you advised

Cap'n Dar
Capndar

Taylor T5 Spruce top
Takemine 330 (1986?)
Martin LMXE
Tahini Uke
Assorted others

coldshot

• Express Yourself
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2013, 12:38:59 AM »
Sorry cap, after reading your post again I saw you mentioned you wre playing through a pa, just a thought are you using a trs or balanced lead, it does send a cleaner signal.

With electric heavy strings .012's positions 2 and 4 with a little bass sound very acoustic through my pa.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2013, 07:04:31 AM by coldshot »
2009 Taylor 35th anniversary Cocobolo GS
2009 Taylor All Mahogany 8 string (modified from a 12 string).
2004 Taylor GA5
2006 Taylor T5 Koa
2010 Gibson 335 Custom
1995 Gibson J35 Ltd
2000 Gibson L5 CES Custom

capndar

« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2013, 09:47:03 AM »
>>With electric heavy strings .012's positions 2 and 4 with a little bass sound very acoustic through my pa.<<

Thanks  -  am playing today - don't have time to switch strings but will experiment with 2 and 4 and bit of added bass

Capndar
Capndar

Taylor T5 Spruce top
Takemine 330 (1986?)
Martin LMXE
Tahini Uke
Assorted others

capndar

« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2013, 08:40:39 PM »
I have put Heavy elixirs on (wound g)  and play live this week...we will see!
Capndar

Taylor T5 Spruce top
Takemine 330 (1986?)
Martin LMXE
Tahini Uke
Assorted others

guitararmy

« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2013, 12:11:28 PM »
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/live-wire-trs--xlrm-patch-cable
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/american-recorder-technologies-xlr-female-to-1-4-male-mono-adapter

I read on the AGF that the T5 has a TRS output and that you lose some with a standard guitar cable.  I'm using the above cable with the adapter so that I can run my T5 through a Boss tuner pedal before going into the PA.  I think it sounds better, and it's not too expensive to try!

dcopper

« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2013, 11:18:45 AM »
You may want to skip the boss tuner pedal and try something like a SNARK which is very inexpensive or a breakout pedal (Taylor website) that allows you to keep the low Z line clean and still go out to a tuner. Boss also has a new clip on tuner as well. The balanced signal helps.
davidc
2011 914ce
2012 814ce TBSS
2012 Spring LTD 814ce Cocobolo
2012 FLTD GAce Quilted Sapele
2003 NS74ce coco
T5Custom KOA
T5 Standard Bl
PRSs/Brian Moore C45P/89 Strat
Too many gizmos and amps!

guitararmy

« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2013, 03:15:29 PM »
Thanks for the advice.  I'm afraid that with a clip-on tuner I would forget that my output isn't muted.....

capndar

« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2013, 05:26:51 PM »
A slow night last Saturday at the place I play so I felt a little more at liberty to experiment
With the T 5.  I have the wound g, playing straight to pa...I use a normal 1/4 in guitar chord

I was (of course) pleased with the playability of the T5  but am still struggling to get a more acoustic tone.  If I boosted anything on the guitar it seemed to sound even more electric

Suggestions ?
Capndar

Taylor T5 Spruce top
Takemine 330 (1986?)
Martin LMXE
Tahini Uke
Assorted others

R1balla

« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2013, 12:13:43 AM »
I have done a ton of experimenting with the T5. I play at church so the board is EQ'd by a professional. I have no clue what its at but i can tell you what i run.

T5 with Elixir 12s (electric). Tubed pre amp (around $30) has made a huge improvement on my acoustic tone. I bypass my pedal and run to the PA. Of course, i use a ABY.

For electric sounds, I have a 15 watt Vox tubed amp. The pedal I am using is the Digitech RP500 and i am loving it. I get comments and questions nearly every sunday after worship. The other electric guitarist plays on a strat with stomp boxes and the same 15 watt vox amp as i do and we sound very similar. I have spent hours upon hours on the electric tones on my pedal. He has a better crunch than i do, but i do not crunch often. My role is acoustic when needed and electric leads, solos...etc with some crunching. anyways, back to the acoustic sounds.... I have no EQ on my board when I run acoustic (bypass everything). I use position one but have not tried 2 or 4 for strumming yet. I am very pleased with my sound right now.

The tubed pre amp has helped me so much. The one that I have is the ART Tube MP Studio V3 Mic PreAmp. Its only $30. worth a shot IMO. If it doesnt sound how you like it, return it. No risk.

Also, I am not sure if anybody has mentioned this before, but the type of 1/4 inch you use makes a difference as well. When i first started to play on stage, they gave me Live Wire cables to use.....terrible. Cheap and always short out. Currently, I use Planet Waves with one right angle, the other male end straight. it was about $35-$40. IMO, you shouldnt play on a cheap 1/4 inch if you are playing live. Worth the investment and Planet Waves comes with a lifetime warranty.
2011 T5 Custom
2003 312CE Fall LE
2002 Baby Taylor
Vox AC15VR
2004 G&L Comanche Sienna Burst

ewalling

« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2013, 01:41:55 PM »
I love the tone Pat Kirtley gets on this T5.

http://youtu.be/E7gii-9lVtg
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 01:43:29 PM by ewalling »

methos1979

« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2013, 11:37:15 PM »
I get an absolutely lovely acoustic sound out of my T5 through Zoom A2.1u that I picked up used for like $80. I found the model I liked best (the Martin 00-28 I think) and built several presets on top of that using reverbs, delays, flange, phaser and all kinds of other cool sounds. I get a ton of compliments from people on it whether played through my Genz Benz Shenandoah acoustic amp or straight into a PA.

R1balla

« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2013, 11:53:55 PM »
i have a Zoom i play with at home to mess around. about 10 years old. i still find the best acoustic sound is with no effects except reverb.
2011 T5 Custom
2003 312CE Fall LE
2002 Baby Taylor
Vox AC15VR
2004 G&L Comanche Sienna Burst