Author Topic: ES Stealth vs ES  (Read 3569 times)

lutehole

ES Stealth vs ES
« on: June 04, 2012, 12:08:58 PM »
I am new to electronics. What is the difference between these two systems and what are the pros and cons?

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
Re: ES Stealth vs ES
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2012, 03:07:49 PM »
I am new to electronics. What is the difference between these two systems and what are the pros and cons?

Tonally, there is zero difference.  The "Stealth" --aka "NC" for "no controls"-- means that there are no knobs for vol,bass,treb, and there is no battery compartment installed in the endpin area (the battery is in a conventional battery clip taped inside the guitar just like on aftermarket pickup systems).  Some folks like the "pure acoustic" look; it is an aesthetic decision with no impact on what you hear.

FWIW, I have an RT that has this "ES-NC" in it (not by my choice but was built that way when I acquired it), and I'd go with the regular ES any day of the week.  Some people are very much put off by the appearance of knobs and the endpin battery compartment.  And for the life of my I cannot understand why as the knobs are very discrete and aesthetically unobtrusive, and the battery door is covered when playing with a strap.  Not to mention with "NC" you lose all ability to adjust volume/tone on the fly live, and checking/changing the battery is a hassle (yeah, the ol' loosen strings and reach in the soundhole fun).  On this last point, I think Taylor has designed the best 9v battery compartment on the market: immenently functional, yet all but invisible as it is integrated into the body contours so seamlessly.  You can tell where my bias is ;)  Hope that helps you a bit.
:)
Edward

lutehole

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2012, 03:53:02 PM »
Thanks for that Edward,
I think people are concerned about the holes being drilled into the side of the guitar. I am afraid it may lead to cracking of the sides or a fracture over the long-term; is this possible?

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2012, 04:27:49 PM »
Thanks for that Edward,
I think people are concerned about the holes being drilled into the side of the guitar. I am afraid it may lead to cracking of the sides or a fracture over the long-term; is this possible?

Well, let's just say that the ES has been around since 2003, and despite the various iterations of electronics, I have never, ever heard or read anyone comment on anything ill happening to the wood.  It's simply three small holes in the upper bout: compare this to "barn-door" openings of many manufacturers, and all throughout the 90s as these picup/electronic systems became all the rage back then.  The sides of the guitar are pretty dang stable.  The top is arguably the most sensitive to any structural changes made in them ...and the last time I looked, there is a large hole in that piece ;)
...just kidding, friend, I couldn't resist!  :)

Edward

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2012, 05:52:33 PM »

Tonally, there is zero difference.  The "Stealth" --aka "NC" for "no controls"-- means that there are no knobs for vol,bass,treb, and there is no battery compartment installed in the endpin area (the battery is in a conventional battery clip taped inside the guitar just like on aftermarket pickup systems).  Some folks like the "pure acoustic" look; it is an aesthetic decision with no impact on what you hear.

FWIW, I have an RT that has this "ES-NC" in it (not by my choice but was built that way when I acquired it), and I'd go with the regular ES any day of the week.  Some people are very much put off by the appearance of knobs and the endpin battery compartment. And for the life of my I cannot understand why as the knobs are very discrete and aesthetically unobtrusive, and the battery door is covered when playing with a strap. Not to mention with "NC" you lose all ability to adjust volume/tone on the fly live, and checking/changing the battery is a hassle (yeah, the ol' loosen strings and reach in the soundhole fun).  On this last point, I think Taylor has designed the best 9v battery compartment on the market: immenently functional, yet all but invisible as it is integrated into the body contours so seamlessly.  You can tell where my bias is ;)  Hope that helps you a bit.
:)
Edward

I agree completely.  The ES system is so elegant looking, without the barn door look, I just can't stand that look(they do work well)to the point I generally won't think about buying a guitar that has that style of P.U..
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.

Herb Hunter

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2012, 06:44:25 PM »
Thanks for that Edward,

Taylor guitars have a lifetime warranty. If drilling small holes in the side of the guitar made it prone to cracking, Taylor would have discontinued the design in order to avoid the expense of warranty work. Anyway in the nine years since the advent of the Expression System, I've never heard of any reports of cracks having developed around the control knob holes.