Author Topic: Best Taylor for praise and worship?  (Read 10626 times)

JosephKim

Best Taylor for praise and worship?
« on: February 09, 2013, 12:10:52 AM »
I'd like opinions :)

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
Re: Best Taylor for praise and worship?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2013, 12:33:33 AM »
I am sure you will get some great opinions.  Could you tell us a little more about the whole set up.  What other instruments are being on stage with you, a little more about the type of music you play, do you play lead or rhythm?   ;)
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.

jjrpilot-admin

• UTGF Owner
  • Administrator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2013, 01:09:38 AM »
Some people in worship tend to gravitate towards maple backed guitars. Maple's sound decays quickly.  I personally enjoy my spruce/rosewood back and sides.   I help lead worship in our college band and play on a regular basis with our many church worship bands.  I use my GS8e and love it.  For me it's the best of both worlds...smaller than a dread, but larger than a GA...and man is it a powerful strummer!

I'm sure others will chime in here as well...this is just my .02 cents.   :D
Col 1:15 "that in everything He might be preeminent."
2016 324 (Mahogany top/Tasmanian Blackwood b&s)
2017 Gibson J-45 Standard

cigarfan

• Veteran Member
  • If He comes today ...........are you ready?
    • I Ignite!
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2013, 06:53:30 AM »
I'm not sure that genre is enough info for a good suggestion. If you are amplified I don't think it matters much ... just get the guitar that sounds best to you. As Josh said, maple (600 series) or mahogany (500 series) may sound better if you are playing with others. Enjoy your new guitar!
Blackbird, Froggy Bottom, Gibson, Goodall, Hatcher,
Kanile'a, Kinnard, Kwasnycia, Martin, Rainsong,
Ryan, Santa Cruz, Taylor, Voyage Air, Weber

bandit59

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2013, 07:55:41 AM »
Anything but a 410ce - it's a non - superstitious guitar
Taylor 410ce  (2012)
Epiphone 'Roy Orbison' 12 string
Eastman AC412 om
Eastman AR503ce

Herb Hunter

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2013, 08:23:36 AM »
Since I'm not sure how the guitar requirements for an acoustic guitarist in a praise and worship band differ from such guitarists in other bands, can't offer a recommendation. Aren't the criteria the same as those for a folk/rock band?

jalbert

• I should be practicing
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2013, 09:56:02 AM »
It would be helpful to know what stage volume you're expecting. Do you play with a full band?
James

'07 GA8-12
'19 Academy 12e-N

Gutch

• Veteran Member
    • www.davegutshall.com
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2013, 10:32:05 AM »
Since I'm not sure how the guitar requirements for an acoustic guitarist in a praise and worship band differ from such guitarists in other bands, can't offer a recommendation. Aren't the criteria the same as those for a folk/rock band?

+1000. 

If the spirit is there, it doesn't matter if you're a playing cigar box strung with rubber bands.  It doesn't matter *what* you're playing -- It's all about *why* you're playing.
‎"Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything."
-- Plato

PureTone

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2013, 11:03:38 AM »
I'd like opinions :)
Based on your previous posts, a 316ce or a used 716ce cedar in the 316ce price range seems like the guitar you're looking for in general.

The 'best' saxophone. He is not going to wipe his brow or nose, just wait.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhB--ozexbA#t=258s

If he doesn't make guitars, this one is impressive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axjsFnFSQmQ

What one does with what little they have often has more of an impact.

Less is more.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 08:54:58 PM by PureTone »

cedarkoa599

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2013, 09:18:46 AM »
I know it has been said that if you are a leader of your bad or praise and worship band to go with maple because it will cut through the mix.
To me if that is your only 6 string guitar you need to love the tone when also playing alone.
I love koa and cocobolo and those tone woods for me cut through and love when playing unplugged.
Yet the first maple Taylor that I ever liked unplugged as well is Taylor's new 618 GO a new body shape that was just released! Try it along with some koas and see what you like!

SkyHigh

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2013, 09:45:14 AM »
I tried almost all wood combo there is for many builders.
To me on a Taylor guitar, COCOBOLO is it!!!

cedarkoa599

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2013, 10:32:52 AM »
I tried almost all wood combo there is for many builders.
To me on a Taylor guitar, COCOBOLO is it!!!
While I love my koa I was looking for a cousin so when that guitar goes in for new frets and such I have another great guitar to play and 6 mo ago my Taylor BTO GA arrived sinker/ Cocobolo with adi braces and it is amazing! You really could not go wrong with any of these.

cigarfan

• Veteran Member
  • If He comes today ...........are you ready?
    • I Ignite!
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2013, 11:44:19 AM »
Played my new 618 in morning services today. Just me, a cello and the vocalist. Just phenomenal! The guitar filled the sanctuary with sound and did really well in tandom with the cello. Love the way it sounds with the ES thru the PA system.
Blackbird, Froggy Bottom, Gibson, Goodall, Hatcher,
Kanile'a, Kinnard, Kwasnycia, Martin, Rainsong,
Ryan, Santa Cruz, Taylor, Voyage Air, Weber

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2013, 12:02:42 PM »
Hi Joseph,

Welcome to the board ...good to have ya here! 

You'll clearly get lots of opinions on this, but just as a headsup, this very question comes up regularly, and I do recall it has come up fairly recently here.  Perhaps try the "search" and look for that thread.  :)

That said, I'll offer you my quick opinion (since you asked ;) ): the best guitar for your purpose is the guitar you feel most comfortable with and "good" about.  Really, no more to it than that.  So much variance exists in band size, stage setup, stage volume, material played, room acoustics, PA equipment, and ultimately the sound guy, that any guitar can be made to sound horrid, just as most any guitar can be made to sound decent; while any decent guitar can sound pretty dang good.  So amidst all those variables, you and your guitar should be the constant

FWIW, I currently use a sitka/maple, but have used cedar/rw, spruce/ovang, sitka/rw, cedar/mahog, engel/maple, spruce/lycra (Ovation :D ...I "think" that's it...) and in all different body shapes from GC to Jumbo ...and all of them sounded solid and clean in the house as well as sat well in the mix.  Let your gear simply be the "best" gear that works for you, and allow your purpose to drive your playing.  IMHO and modest experience, anywho.

But I gotta piggyback on what cigarfan just said: the 2010-current ES is a superb system that sounds great.  This I highly recommend without reservation --yes, even over other pup systems, all told, it's that good.   Oh, and let us know what you picked, then celebrate here with pics! :D

Edward
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 12:11:27 PM by Edward »

JosephKim

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2013, 04:01:45 PM »
Thank you for all the responses! I would be playing with a full band -- drums, electric, keyboard, and bass. I had my heart set on something in the GA series because I like the feel, but I thought I would ask in case there was a better choice. I'll take a look and  let you all know what I decide on! Money is a big issue though.. so hopefully something will pop up soon and cheap haha. Thanks again! I also welcome any others who would like to chime in :)