Author Topic: 714ce - minor distortion while recording on AudioBox USB 2x2  (Read 996 times)

ksamse

714ce - minor distortion while recording on AudioBox USB 2x2
« on: March 07, 2013, 03:54:10 PM »
Hi everyone,

Have had my 714ce for 6 months and love it.  It is a 2007 - which I think has the newer electronics on-board.  I recently purchased an AudioBox USB 2x2 recording box that came with Presonus Studio One Artist v2 software.  When I record the guitar using a mic, it is wonderful.  But using a 1/4" patch cord into the box (either channel), I get a mild distortion.  Taylor support says that it is due to the preamp onboard the Taylor and doesn't have a solution.  Have any of you experienced this and solved it?  I have been saving up for 4 months to buy all the equipment, and now it is quite disappointing.  Any help would be really appreciated.

Pick-on,
Keith

Scriptor

• Veteran Member
  • What His holiness demands, His grace has supplied
    • RickLangdon.com
Re: 714ce - minor distortion while recording on AudioBox USB 2x2
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2013, 10:04:54 AM »
I am just guessing based on my experience ... try going to a good acoustic amp first and out from the DI ... this is how I most often record my 814ce and it sounds really good ... I have also used a small Mackie mixing board b/t the guitar and the USB interface which works well ... I could never get it to sound good direct to the laptop via USB w/o some controls in the middle ... signal is just too hot otherwise ... again, I may be way off base ... I am no expert ... good luck and let us know how you resolve this ...
-- Scriptor

Featured demo: http://www.ricklangdon.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/58-Weeping-in-Ramah-mix-2.mp3

For more very simple demos of original music recorded with Taylor guitars: http://www.ricklangdon.com

ksamse

Re: 714ce - minor distortion while recording on AudioBox USB 2x2
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2013, 01:28:26 PM »
Hi Scriptor,

Thank you for your info.  I don't have an amp, but you are the second person suggest using a DI between the guitar and the AudioBox.  I have a good friend with all that stuff and I will probably take my system down to him to play with the options. 

Does anyone else have any experience with this?

Thanks all!!
Keith