Author Topic: Best Taylor for praise and worship?  (Read 10659 times)

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
Re: Best Taylor for praise and worship?
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2013, 04:33:59 PM »
Thank you for all the responses! I would be playing with a full band -- drums, electric, keyboard, and bass. I had my heart set on something in the GA series because I like the feel, but I thought I would ask in case there was a better choice. I'll take a look and  let you all know what I decide on! Money is a big issue though.. so hopefully something will pop up soon and cheap haha. Thanks again! I also welcome any others who would like to chime in :)

Ideally, a 614 (GA - would be best for your purposes, IMO) would work well, because it will cut through the mix in a larger ensemble better than most other tonewood combos. If money is an issue, I would probably look at a 314 as your next best choice. Best wishes in your search...

God bless...
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood

cedarkoa599

« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2013, 07:09:30 PM »
Hi Joseph,

Welcome to the board ...good to have ya here! 

You'll clearly get lots of opinions on this, but just as a headsup, this very question comes up regularly, and I do recall it has come up fairly recently here.  Perhaps try the "search" and look for that thread.  :)

That said, I'll offer you my quick opinion (since you asked ;) ): the best guitar for your purpose is the guitar you feel most comfortable with and "good" about.  Really, no more to it than that.  So much variance exists in band size, stage setup, stage volume, material played, room acoustics, PA equipment, and ultimately the sound guy, that any guitar can be made to sound horrid, just as most any guitar can be made to sound decent; while any decent guitar can sound pretty dang good.  So amidst all those variables, you and your guitar should be the constant

FWIW, I currently use a sitka/maple, but have used cedar/rw, spruce/ovang, sitka/rw, cedar/mahog, engel/maple, spruce/lycra (Ovation :D ...I "think" that's it...) and in all different body shapes from GC to Jumbo ...and all of them sounded solid and clean in the house as well as sat well in the mix.  Let your gear simply be the "best" gear that works for you, and allow your purpose to drive your playing.  IMHO and modest experience, anywho.

But I gotta piggyback on what cigarfan just said: the 2010-current ES is a superb system that sounds great.  This I highly recommend without reservation --yes, even over other pup systems, all told, it's that good.   Oh, and let us know what you picked, then celebrate here with pics! :D

Edward
I went to a road show at the end of Aug 12. The Taylor rep said the ES system as been tweaked (changed) 21 times. I got a ES at the end of 09 and I just got one on my BTO 6 mo ago both 9 volts and I have to say I like the newer one better. I have to say the newer one does not chew through the batteries !

markallen

« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2013, 08:03:53 PM »

If the spirit is there, it doesn't matter if you're a playing cigar box strung with rubber bands.  It doesn't matter *what* you're playing -- It's all about *why* you're playing.

Agree 100% with this, however just for the sake of addressing the OP's question, I play in a Praise Team that consists of 2 acoustic guitars, bass, drums and keyboard. My acoustic is a GS6 (with ES) and the other is a 310ce. Both sound just fine in the mix.

Cheers,
Mark

PureTone

« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2013, 12:39:25 AM »
Thank you for all the responses! I would be playing with a full band -- drums, electric, keyboard, and bass. I had my heart set on something in the GA series because I like the feel, but I thought I would ask in case there was a better choice. I'll take a look and  let you all know what I decide on! Money is a big issue though.. so hopefully something will pop up soon and cheap haha. Thanks again! I also welcome any others who would like to chime in :)
Used Eastman HE322CE (106434757)
http://www.eastmanguitars.com/ac322ce/

Used Fishman Aura Sixteen (108657698)
http://www.fishman.com/product/aura-sixteen
Download 814CE, 614CE, 314CE and 414 digital images.

Used Fishman Pro EQ Platinum (108630525)
http://www.fishman.com/products/view/pro-eq-platinum-preampeqdi

Same $ as a new 2012 110
http://haightashburymusic.com/index.php/catalog/product/view/id/3044/

Cheap enough ?

Scriptor

• Veteran Member
  • What His holiness demands, His grace has supplied
    • RickLangdon.com
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2013, 03:45:55 PM »
I heard that some people praise and worship their Taylor, but I never do that.   :o

(just kidding) ... welcome to the forum ... great folks here ... lots of good opinions ... I personally like my 814ce as it works in many different scenarios/settings ... however, I can't say it is absolutely best for your needs ... I can't imagine it wouldn't be more than adequate in most though ...
-- Scriptor

Featured demo: http://www.ricklangdon.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/58-Weeping-in-Ramah-mix-2.mp3

For more very simple demos of original music recorded with Taylor guitars: http://www.ricklangdon.com

AVTaylor83

« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2013, 10:16:33 AM »
Lots of good responses here.  It really comes down to the body style/wood combination that YOUR ears are comfortable with.  Good EQ, preamp, and pickup choice can make any Taylor cut through the mix with a band.
2022 AD27e Flametop - maple
2016 514ce Fall Ltd - cedar/granadillo