Author Topic: 12-Fret GCce-FLTD - 2012 Fall LTD  (Read 1817 times)

Scriptor

• Veteran Member
  • What His holiness demands, His grace has supplied
    • RickLangdon.com
12-Fret GCce-FLTD - 2012 Fall LTD
« on: February 13, 2013, 03:56:32 PM »
Does anyone own this model?  Has anyone played it?  If so, what is it like? 
-- Scriptor

Featured demo: http://www.ricklangdon.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/58-Weeping-in-Ramah-mix-2.mp3

For more very simple demos of original music recorded with Taylor guitars: http://www.ricklangdon.com

Gutch

• Veteran Member
    • www.davegutshall.com
Re: 12-Fret GCce-FLTD - 2012 Fall LTD
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2013, 01:37:21 PM »
I own it.  I love it.  To be honest, however, the acquisition came about through pure happenstance. 

In 2011, I bought a GT-6 EIR/Sitka six string baritone.  Although I liked it, I thought the Rosewood made the tone too dark and lacking definition.  I traded the guitar to Daryl for his immaculate EIR/Sitka 12 Fret GC.  It was a beautifully playing instrument, but I had mind focused on that darned baritone and how to make work for me.  I started off last Summer (2012) by talking with Brian S. about baritones and possibly doing a BTO.  I was thinking Cocobolo with Sitka and Adi braces.  Tightens up the low end, the Adi gives the tone a bit more punch.  I also wanted to go with the 8 string version to gain a little jangle.  One way or the other, my goal was to eliminate the darkness from the Baritone.  Brian listened to my ideas and suggested that I wait for the Fall Limiteds - That I would be very excited to see what was on the docket.  So I did.  When the announcement came, I jumped on the opportunity to grab the quilted Sapele/Euro Spruce Bari-8 that was being offered.  the 12 fret was sold to help fund the new baritone buy.

Fall came and Jim gives me the call -- "Hey Gutch, it's in."  Woo-Hoo!!!  Quick ship home, break open the box, and there it was in all of it's quilted glory.  I played that guitar for a few weeks religiously, trying to figure out just exactly where it fit in my playing style.  It sounded fantastic -- The Quilted Sapele sounds nothing like what you'd expect if you have heard a 300 series Taylor.  The Euro Spruce was the icing on the cake.  Absolutely no doubt about -- The guitar sounded great.  The problem was that as hard as I tried, I couldn't make it work for me. 

I had gone from honeymoon bliss to divorce counselor crying in a matter of a couple weeks.  Heart in hand, I called Jim and told him the situation.  Always the gentlemen, Jim offered his condolences, slapped me about for my hasty decisions, and told me that I could return the guitar for something else if I wanted.  I happened to be traveling to Minneapolis the following week, so I polished and packed up the baritone and brought it with me on the trip.  It was there that I re-discovered the 12 fret design, this time in Sapele and Euro.  Swap made, happiness found, satisfaction guaranteed.

It's been several months since then and I couldn't be happier with the decision.  The 12 fret shape and scale fit me and my playing style very well.  It is incredibly comfortable to play, and quite responsive to the touch.  As I mentioned before, the flatsawn Sapele, in combination with the Euro Spruce and Adi bracing give this guitar an outstanding voice -- Rich but not muddy, articulate without being harsh.  It has a nice balance in the mids, sparkle but not tinny, and really surprising amount of low end for such a small body.  Just a great great sounding guitar.  Plenty of projection, too.  Responds very well to a pick as well as fingers.  It is the perfect compliment to my 916ce.

So, to answer your question, "What is it like"?  It's like everything I didn't know I wanted, but now I can't imagine not having it around.

‎"Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything."
-- Plato

Scriptor

• Veteran Member
  • What His holiness demands, His grace has supplied
    • RickLangdon.com
Re: 12-Fret GCce-FLTD - 2012 Fall LTD
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2013, 01:58:18 PM »
Gutch,

Very good information ... I like your story ... often we are surprised by not getting what we thought we wanted and greatly enjoy what we got instead ...  ::) ... I understand your scenario all too well (not that I have ever done that, mind you ... right!)

Anyway, sounds like you are just the man to tell me what you like about the LTD versus the standard Sitka/Rosewood (since you previously owned one of those) ....

12-fret GAS is building and I need "medicaiton" ... thanks.

(I'll probably decide I want one of these just about the time there are no more available ... that's been more story all too often)
-- Scriptor

Featured demo: http://www.ricklangdon.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/58-Weeping-in-Ramah-mix-2.mp3

For more very simple demos of original music recorded with Taylor guitars: http://www.ricklangdon.com