Author Topic: GS-Go Pickup Question  (Read 1152 times)

Paul60

GS-Go Pickup Question
« on: September 27, 2016, 05:32:51 AM »
Hi all,

Does the GS Mini GS-Go pickup degrade or muffle the GS Mini's sound when played acoustically ?

I'm thinking of adding a pickup to play some gigs etc, but want to still enjoy my mini 'unplugged' at home.

Thinking having a wire run inside and fat looking pickup sitting there must surely affect the tone ?

Thanks.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2016, 05:37:39 AM by Paul60 »

DennisG

• Veteran Member
  • Veni Vidi Velcro: I came, I saw, I stuck around
Re: GS-Go Pickup Question
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2016, 07:16:48 AM »
I don't think the ES-Go has any effect on the guitar played acoustically.  Not one bit.  My issue with the ES-Go is that it's not a great pickup.  For a little more money you can have a K&K Mini installed that'll deliver excellent and natural sound.  I've installed that pickup in two very expensive guitars and have been very happy with the results.
-------------------------------------
'21 Goodall GC - master redwood/Macassar ebony
'18 Taylor K14-BE
'18 Taylor 114e
'21 Taylor GT Urban Ash
'15 Martin uke

Paul60

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2016, 07:33:20 AM »
I don't think the ES-Go has any effect on the guitar played acoustically.  Not one bit.  My issue with the ES-Go is that it's not a great pickup.  For a little more money you can have a K&K Mini installed that'll deliver excellent and natural sound.  I've installed that pickup in two very expensive guitars and have been very happy with the results.

Thanks Dennis

I also have a 114 that I want to amplify as well.

I will look into the K&K gear. Seems to be exactly what I'm looking for.

Cheers

timfitz63

• Veteran Member
  • Getting better one strum at a time...
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2016, 09:22:43 AM »
I don't think the ES-Go has any effect on the guitar played acoustically.  Not one bit.  My issue with the ES-Go is that it's not a great pickup...

I concur with Dennis.  I've got one of the ES-Go modules installed in my GS Mini and I can't say I notice any difference in the acoustic output of the guitar.  But the ES-Go isn't nearly as good as Taylor's other factory-installed ES systems.
DN: 360e, 510ce, 510e-FLTD, 810ce-LTD (Braz RW), PS10ce
GA: 414ce, 614ce-LTD, 714ce-FLTD, BR-V, BTO (Makore, 'Wild Grain' RW, Blkwood), GAce-FLTD, K24ce, PS14ce (Coco, Braz RW, "Milagro"), W14ce-LTD
GC: 812ce-LTD TF, BTO TF ('Sinker'/Walnut, Engelmann/"Milagro"), LTG #400
GO: 718e-FLTD, BTO (Taz Myrtle)
GS: Custom 516e, BTO 12's (Taz Tiger Myrtle, 'Crazy' RW), 556ce, 656ce, K66ce, PS56ce ("Milagro")
GS Mini 2012 Spring LTD (Blackwood)
T3/B: Custom (Cu & Au Sparkle)
T5: C1, C5-12, S (Aztec Gold)

Paul60

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2016, 10:29:44 PM »
I don't think the ES-Go has any effect on the guitar played acoustically.  Not one bit.  My issue with the ES-Go is that it's not a great pickup...

I concur with Dennis.  I've got one of the ES-Go modules installed in my GS Mini and I can't say I notice any difference in the acoustic output of the guitar.  But the ES-Go isn't nearly as good as Taylor's other factory-installed ES systems.

Thanks.

I have a 114 that I was hoping could be upgraded to the new electronics. Looks like I'm out of luck with that.

So I'm looking at other options for both my GS Mini & the 114.

There seems to be plenty of other brands to choose from though.