Author Topic: Taylor Ebony Necks  (Read 4130 times)

Gordo in OZ

Re: Taylor Ebony Necks
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2016, 10:56:30 AM »
Ebony is the only fingerboard I like. All my guitars have ebony fingerboards. Its a deal breaker. I like it for the feel and don't really care too much about the look. However I do think the streaky fingerboards look great and its such a sensible way to use this rare wood. Top marks for Taylor's decision to be sensible.
Taylor 714 CE (2015) USA
Larrivee California SE OM19 (2003) USA
Larrivee L-05 Custom (1995) Canada
Larrivee Maple Special Edition Parlor (2003) Canada
Guild D55 (1974) USA
Marshall AS50D
Mandolins, Autoharps, Concertinas, a Mountain Dulcimer and a Harmonium.

tbeltrans

« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2016, 11:24:23 AM »
Here's the Ebony headstock of my 2011 916ce.  I love the contrasting colors...

This is an interesting thread.  I suppose I really don't pay much attention to these kinds of things unless they are really noticeable.  However, the picture of your 916ce headstock made me look at my own 2016 914ce, and sure enough I have that coloration too, but to a lesser degree for whatever reason.  I think it looks just fine too. :)

Tony

TaylorFan2003

« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2016, 12:33:15 AM »
I've grown to love the streaking. Makes for a nice conversation. I just don't see it or at least notice it anywhere other than Taylor and I love the way bob tells the story of his decision to embrace the otherwise left behind trees.
Ryan
'02 310
'12 K26CE
'15 814CE
'15 GS-Mini-E Koa
& an abundance of Taylorware

jrporter

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2016, 08:33:22 AM »
My jury is back in, and Taylor guitars is guilty of using smoky ebony to improve the overall visual appeal of their guitars...

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2016, 05:47:27 PM »
My jury is back in, and Taylor guitars is guilty of using smoky ebony to improve the overall visual appeal of their guitars...

Bob is also guilty of using natural resources (Ebony Trees) responsibly.  For that he will get many years of beautiful guitars.
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.

VTexan

« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2016, 11:02:43 PM »
I think one of the criticisms of Taylors by some folks who like other guitars better...is that they're not as hand-tooled. That there are TOO many computerized elements at Taylor. And that there is a unanimity (read: lack of individuality) in their guitars. At least that's what I've seen others post.

The varied appearances and colors and streaking of the ebony necks runs precisely counter to that notion. With interesting streaking, that means your Taylor is unlike any other. To me that means you get the precise nature of their manufacturing, but the individuality as manifested in wood. Win/win.
2018 Taylor GS Mini
2016 Taylor 214ce-N
2012 Taylor 314ce
2015 Martin GPCPA5
2015 Ventura VWDONAT

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2016, 07:20:05 AM »
I think one of the criticisms of Taylors by some folks who like other guitars better...is that they're not as hand-tooled. That there are TOO many computerized elements at Taylor. And that there is a unanimity (read: lack of individuality) in their guitars. At least that's what I've seen others post.

The varied appearances and colors and streaking of the ebony necks runs precisely counter to that notion. With interesting streaking, that means your Taylor is unlike any other. To me that means you get the precise nature of their manufacturing, but the individuality as manifested in wood. Win/win.

Well said. And if I may add, if CNC yields such "undesirable" results, why have most larger guitar companies followed Taylor's lead? CNC has enabled Taylor to use mahogany that in earlier times would have been unsuitable for necks. The result? More available guitar necks with some having unique figuring. Win/win.
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood

HAPPYDAN

« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2016, 02:48:26 PM »
Hey Cindy! You must have a will of stone. I couldn't have passed that one up.