Author Topic: Advice re T5 please . . .  (Read 8758 times)

Steve Coombs

Advice re T5 please . . .
« on: March 28, 2013, 05:49:26 PM »
Hello all, I'm brand new here . .
I've been a Taylor owner since i bought the Fall 2001 Limited Edition 314ce Imbuia . .  what a lovely guitar. When it was made Bob Taylor said that if he could get more Imbuia he would use it more often - I'm not a tonewood expert but for me the sound is lovely and the chocolatey smell even after 12 years is really noticeable !!
My next Taylor was the classic solid body - my first venture into electrics for some time. I really enjoyed playing it.
Then I saw a pic of the T5 C5 with it's wonderful macassar ebony top. So beautiful and a dream to play, offering acoustic and electris sounds in one guitar . .  That signalled the departure of the solid body . .
So now it's question time. I play the T5 thro a Trace TA300 which handles the acoustic sounds beautifully. In order to utilise the electric sounds of the T5, without the need for two amps, I figured I would run it thro a Line 6 Hd300 pedal to the amp and then set a clean or true bypass patch for acoustic playing . .  has anyone else tried this and succeeded ? or not ? Has anyone any pointers to a good system given the guitar and amp I am using? Would I be better off just using a mild distortion effect pedal with true by pass ? I figure I can't be the first travelling this road so if you have a solution I would be pleased to hear . .  thank you all . .  Steve

BigSkyTaylorPlayer

• Veteran Member
  • Are we there yet.....
Re: Advice re T5 please . . .
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2013, 07:40:58 AM »
Hi Steve, welcome.

Search this forum and the AGF for T5 and you will see a host of threads discussing them.  There is one guy who is the go-to on all things T5 but I can't think of his name right this minute.  I'll do some searching and edit this post.  dcopper and coldshot are the two I was thinking of, I'm sure there are lots more both here and over at AGF.

I enjoy my T5 and bought an acoustic amp to get a better sound from position 1 and 2 - I haven't gotten into pedals yet but I can feel it comin' on.... :D
« Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 07:44:24 AM by TaylorPlayer516 »

Steve Coombs

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2013, 10:30:12 AM »
Hi TP. thanks for the reply . .  I am really happy with the acoustic sound thro the trace amp . .  you hear lots of criticism of the T5 - cant do acoustic, can't do electric etc . .  but I am actually quite happay with it . . and if Tony Iommi is happy to use one to demonstrate sabbath riffs on TV - well you cant really argue - can you . . .  I will look out for the members you suggested. Hopefully they'll post anyway!!!
Thank you, Steve

coldshot

• Express Yourself
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2013, 04:48:38 PM »
G day Steve, the best advice anyone could give you regarding the T5 is to experiment, and try lot's of different senario's.

What strings are you using, after a lot of experimentation I use elixir electric .012.

Strings will dictate your tone quite a bit, especially if your using acoustic strings, I struggled with electric tone until I switched.

I've found the best tones to my liking are using an electric guitar amp and a PA simultaneously, but that is if you have access to both.

Pedals like a Sans amp GT 2 work well if you just using a PA, just don't try too much overdrive.

Let us know how you get on and welcome to the T5 club, the Macassar ebony T5 I saw on Taylor's website was stunning.
2009 Taylor 35th anniversary Cocobolo GS
2009 Taylor All Mahogany 8 string (modified from a 12 string).
2004 Taylor GA5
2006 Taylor T5 Koa
2010 Gibson 335 Custom
1995 Gibson J35 Ltd
2000 Gibson L5 CES Custom

Steve Coombs

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2013, 06:50:38 AM »
Hi Coldshot, thank you for your reply. I'd heard of the Sans Amp but never looked at one - they look great and of course they are much smaller than the HD300 which I have been using . .  trouble with the HD300 is the size, complexity and almost total lack of support . .
I always use D'Addario strings on my acoustic and the T5. At the minute the T5 is wearing electric 10's. For me I like the longevity and brightness the D'Addarios give . .  without the same expense as the Elixirs.
I think for me the issue is to find a way to get a light electric sound to give variety to the acoustic sound the set up I have already does so well. Now I know that a dedicated electric guitar amp would do that  but what it couldn't do is the acoustic sounds . . and I am attempting a minimalist approach after years of having heaps of kit !!!
I would like one lead to an FX unit - one lead from that to the amp, but the FX unit needs a 'true bypass' so that I can keep the lovely acoustic sounds I already have.
Does anyone think I will achieve what I would like to do? Has anyone tries a similar solution ? Did it work ? Am I shooting for the moon ?
Happy Easter all, Steve

coldshot

• Express Yourself
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2013, 06:43:26 PM »
Steve, the Sans Amp Gt 2 is about the size of a cd case, I use it as my only pedal these days, works well with the L5 archtop too.

If I'm playing an open mic and only doing a couple of songs that's what I use for my electric tones and and straight into the pa for the acoustic tones.

I think a wound "G" string helps considerably with the acoustic tones.
2004 Taylor GA5
2006 Taylor T5 Koa
2010 Gibson 335 Custom
1995 Gibson J35 Ltd

Steve Coombs

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2013, 10:08:42 PM »
Hi Coldshot . .
If you use acoustic strings with a wound G do you have the acoustic saddle? If not do you hear any problem with the intonation?
When you use the Sans Amp do you still play thro it with it turned off for acoustic sounds?
That is exactly what I would like to be able to do. If you do play thro it turned off do you find it colours the acoustic sound?
Thank you for your reply, Steve

coldshot

• Express Yourself
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2013, 03:21:46 AM »
Steve, I only use elixir electric heavy strings .012's now after a lot of experimenting.

I find these strings give me both good acoustic tones and great electric tones through the pa, I only use the Sans Amp for my electric tones. I don't think it colours the acoustic tone at all when it's switched off.

I go guitar straight to sans amp out to pa.

The acoustic saddle, I bought one but if I were you I'd only get one if you found intonation problems.

I treat the T5 as an electric guitar that I can get nice clean tones from, I find it's a very nice guitar in a duo setting with a full bodied acoustic.
2004 Taylor GA5
2006 Taylor T5 Koa
2010 Gibson 335 Custom
1995 Gibson J35 Ltd

Riggie

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2013, 06:46:29 PM »
Give me a ring and I'll tell you of my experiences trying to find nirvana!

A :-)

Hello all, I'm brand new here . .
I've been a Taylor owner since i bought the Fall 2001 Limited Edition 314ce Imbuia . .  what a lovely guitar. When it was made Bob Taylor said that if he could get more Imbuia he would use it more often - I'm not a tonewood expert but for me the sound is lovely and the chocolatey smell even after 12 years is really noticeable !!
My next Taylor was the classic solid body - my first venture into electrics for some time. I really enjoyed playing it.
Then I saw a pic of the T5 C5 with it's wonderful macassar ebony top. So beautiful and a dream to play, offering acoustic and electris sounds in one guitar . .  That signalled the departure of the solid body . .
So now it's question time. I play the T5 thro a Trace TA300 which handles the acoustic sounds beautifully. In order to utilise the electric sounds of the T5, without the need for two amps, I figured I would run it thro a Line 6 Hd300 pedal to the amp and then set a clean or true bypass patch for acoustic playing . .  has anyone else tried this and succeeded ? or not ? Has anyone any pointers to a good system given the guitar and amp I am using? Would I be better off just using a mild distortion effect pedal with true by pass ? I figure I can't be the first travelling this road so if you have a solution I would be pleased to hear . .  thank you all . .  Steve
Taylor PS16ce
PRS Swamp Ash Studio
Takamine Nashville
David Freshwater mandocello

Steve Coombs

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2013, 06:34:36 AM »
Hi All. First let me say I understand that The T5 is neither a full bodied acoustic nor a solidbody electric. It is , however, a fabulous instrument to play. After a year of wandering in the wilderness, playing it thro a PA and using a Line 6 HD300 pedal for electric sounds, which i had to switch out completely to get acoustic tones I have got the sounds I want from a simple set up . .  The T5 now runs straight to a Sans Amp Tri AC pedal and thatis plugged into the front of a Trace Elliot TA300 acoustic amp. The pedal gives me a choice of 3 different amp models and gain plus basic EQ. With a patch selected I have the electric sounds I want - in fact I find the sound excellent. With no patch selected just running straight thro to the amp I still have the great acoustic sound the guitar and amp are capable of . . .  One happy bunny !!!

My thanks to Coldshot for his help and advice re Sans  Amp . . 

Steve

coldshot

• Express Yourself
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2013, 05:38:58 PM »
G day Steve, great to see you've found a solution. All the best mate. 
2004 Taylor GA5
2006 Taylor T5 Koa
2010 Gibson 335 Custom
1995 Gibson J35 Ltd

dcopper

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2013, 07:23:28 AM »
Sorry I did not see this earlier. I always love to talk about the T5 and setups. Coldshot is dead on with his recommendations. I use Elixir 12's with a wound G, which gives you a full body electric tone and good acoustic tone. Remember though, the T5 is a different animal. It is not an 810 or a Les Paul, it is a T5 and good "T5 tone" can easily be found once you get over trying to use the T5 to mimic other guitars. I also have SansAmp modelers that work very well. For simple pedal and effects, after trying all the DigiTech, Line 6, Boss and other multi-effects, I have found that the Boss ME70 pedal works best for me. The "clean" setting is a great match to the T5 and the effects board works like pedals, so no menus to get through for your settings. The ME70 also has a built in looper that is fun to play. One other thing you may want to do, that I find works successfully with the T5 as well as even my acoustic Taylors, is to use a full range PA cab as an extension speaker to a clean guitar amp. I use small amps like the Roland Cube 60/Cube 80 or even my MesaBoogie subway rocket and use a PA cab as an extension cab. For the T5 that works very well. Since the Taylor expression system uses a magnetic humbucker under the fretboard, it works well with my other Taylors (914ce, 814ce cocobolo, etc.). Coldshot is right in recommending experimenting. Running through a guitar amp will not get you the same full range tone since guitar amps are voiced in the midrange for electric guitars, but you may be amazed at the fullness of your tone. Some acoustic guitarists use electric amps when they use mag pickups like a Sunrise. Fun stuff and remember if it sounds good to you, it is good. I also use a Fishman SoloAmp and a Roland AC90, along with powered QSC K8 cabs.
Have fun with your T5.
davidc
2011 914ce
2012 814ce TBSS
2012 Spring LTD 814ce Cocobolo
2012 FLTD GAce Quilted Sapele
2003 NS74ce coco
T5Custom KOA
T5 Standard Bl
PRSs/Brian Moore C45P/89 Strat
Too many gizmos and amps!

Steve Coombs

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2013, 11:59:10 AM »
PM sent . .  Steve

methos1979

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2013, 09:31:59 PM »
Sorry I did not see this earlier. I always love to talk about the T5 and setups. Coldshot is dead on with his recommendations. I use Elixir 12's with a wound G, which gives you a full body electric tone and good acoustic tone. Remember though, the T5 is a different animal. It is not an 810 or a Les Paul, it is a T5 and good "T5 tone" can easily be found once you get over trying to use the T5 to mimic other guitars. I also have SansAmp modelers that work very well. For simple pedal and effects, after trying all the DigiTech, Line 6, Boss and other multi-effects, I have found that the Boss ME70 pedal works best for me. The "clean" setting is a great match to the T5 and the effects board works like pedals, so no menus to get through for your settings. The ME70 also has a built in looper that is fun to play. One other thing you may want to do, that I find works successfully with the T5 as well as even my acoustic Taylors, is to use a full range PA cab as an extension speaker to a clean guitar amp. I use small amps like the Roland Cube 60/Cube 80 or even my MesaBoogie subway rocket and use a PA cab as an extension cab. For the T5 that works very well. Since the Taylor expression system uses a magnetic humbucker under the fretboard, it works well with my other Taylors (914ce, 814ce cocobolo, etc.). Coldshot is right in recommending experimenting. Running through a guitar amp will not get you the same full range tone since guitar amps are voiced in the midrange for electric guitars, but you may be amazed at the fullness of your tone. Some acoustic guitarists use electric amps when they use mag pickups like a Sunrise. Fun stuff and remember if it sounds good to you, it is good. I also use a Fishman SoloAmp and a Roland AC90, along with powered QSC K8 cabs.
Have fun with your T5.
davidc

David - do the Elixir Electric 12's come with a wound G or did you buy that separate?

coldshot

• Express Yourself
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2013, 10:12:44 PM »
The Elixer .012's in electric strings come with the wound "g".
2004 Taylor GA5
2006 Taylor T5 Koa
2010 Gibson 335 Custom
1995 Gibson J35 Ltd