Author Topic: Humidity.....D’Addario Two-Way Humidification System vs. Oasis humidifier  (Read 3234 times)

simonpyman

Ok, I know there's a thread about the planet waves humidification system which I see is now branded by D'Addario but I wanted to get advice on what is the best solution for me.... This is my first Taylor and my first solid wood acoustic guitar and I want to make sure that I take good care of it! I am noticing a little buzzing at home which may be related to the change in RH between the guitar store and home.

I got the taylor mini hygrometer and was surprised to see the RH max reading at 58% in the case overnight.  Obviously the oasis humidifier I got wont do me any good so I am thinking I will get the 2 way humidifier system since it will help bring down the RH.

What is everyone's experience with the D’Addario Two-Way Humidification System?
Should I keep the oasis for the winter time or will the D’Addario Two-Way Humidification System be sufficient year round?
Wouldn't a "dry" guitar with low RH would cause some string buzzing and not the other way around?

Thanks everyone!

Acoustic:
2015 Taylor 324 hog top
2011 Custom Martin Jumbo (J-35E) made for Norman's Rare Guitars
Electric:
1982 Yamaha SG-1500
1988 Washburn HB-35

timfitz63

• Veteran Member
  • Getting better one strum at a time...
Can't really comment on the Oasis system since I've never used it; I've used D'Addario's (previously Planet Waves') Two-Way system starting with my first Taylor guitar.  I use it year-'round and it seems to keep my guitars happy.

I'd have to go back to the Taylor literature that came with my Taylor guitars ("Symptoms of a Dry Guitar") to figure out whether excessive dryness would cause any string 'buzz.'  It's possible your guitar's truss rod just needs a bit of a tweak; 58% isn't far from the ideal humidity level, and the neck relief can also change with changing atmospheric conditions, even if the rest of the guitar is properly humidified. 
DN: 360e, 510ce, 510e-FLTD, 810ce-LTD (Braz RW), PS10ce
GA: 414ce, 614ce-LTD, 714ce-FLTD, BR-V, BTO (Makore, 'Wild Grain' RW, Blkwood), GAce-FLTD, K24ce, PS14ce (Coco, Braz RW, "Milagro"), W14ce-LTD
GC: 812ce-LTD TF, BTO TF ('Sinker'/Walnut, Engelmann/"Milagro"), LTG #400
GO: 718e-FLTD, BTO (Taz Myrtle)
GS: Custom 516e, BTO 12's (Taz Tiger Myrtle, 'Crazy' RW), 556ce, 656ce, K66ce, PS56ce ("Milagro")
GS Mini 2012 Spring LTD (Blackwood)
T3/B: Custom (Cu & Au Sparkle)
T5: C1, C5-12, S (Aztec Gold)

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
I use the Oasis humidifier in the winter months and nothing in the warmer months. 58% humidity is not a cause for alarm. If you're somewhere between 40-60%, you should be okay. You can always dry out your case interior by running a blow dryer in it for a few minutes .

A dry guitar can buzz, but I don't think that this is your issue. I  would recommend that you have the guitar looked at by the place where you bought it. In my experience, a minor truss rod adjustment usually takes care of a string buzz problem.

Hope this helps.
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood

Frettingflyer

• Veteran Member
My first thought is that the wood settled in a bit after production and that minor truss rod adjustment is your fix, although I had one Taylor that slipped out the door with a fret that wasn't level- covered under warranty no problem.
My reason for thinking this is it takes quite some time being exposed to high humidity for a guitar to "drink" too much and 58% should be okay.
I use both systems now, keeping the humidipak in my nicer guitars year round, but found the oasis to work really well in the dry NH winter. There are 2 versions, a regular and one that is at a higher rate. I liked the regular one better.
My luthier said he sees many people use both together! I think I am going to try this as the oasis allows you to add moisture and keep the humidipak longer, but the humidipak will keep it hydrated after the oasis runs out.
The humidipak really does take the "worry" out of the whole ordeal though...
Dave
2014 Koa GS Mini-e FLTD (for the wife)
2004 314ce,
2014 custom GC Coco/Euro spruce
2015 Wildwood 812ce 12 fret
2016 522ce 12 fret
2019 K24ce BE
2021 322e
2017 Blackbird Lucky 13
2019 Mcpherson Sable

NavyChap

• Veteran Member
I used to use the humidipaks but when they changed the "style" I stopped.  I now use the Nomad humidifiers which usually last about 12-14 days.  My pattern is to go to my weekly guitar lesson and then the next day refresh all the sponges (I have 5 guitars).  In the event that I miss doing it I know the cases are good for some time after my lesson.  And if I go away on vacation it is usually for no more than a week or so, so they are still good.  Just my 2 cents worth on the topic.
2015 Taylor 314ce
1997 Taylor 414ce
2005 Zager ZAD50CE
2016 Seagull S6 Original
2016 Epiphone PR-5E/N

simonpyman

Thanks everyone for their input! I may just hang on to the oasis and see how the hygrometer looks during the cooler months when the heater gets used!
Acoustic:
2015 Taylor 324 hog top
2011 Custom Martin Jumbo (J-35E) made for Norman's Rare Guitars
Electric:
1982 Yamaha SG-1500
1988 Washburn HB-35