Author Topic: I upgraded the ES system and found  (Read 3173 times)

misterwinefine

I upgraded the ES system and found
« on: August 07, 2013, 07:55:48 PM »
I thought it would be of interest to many of you.  I have  a GS Taylor and love the sound and the playability of the guitar, however I have never been happy with the ES system on it.  I had sent it back to Taylor this month, and had it upgraded to the 9v system.  I was disappointed when it returned it still had the quack on the B and G strings up the neck when plugged in.  I did some research and found it an issue with many folks having the same complaint.  I spent XXX bucks to fix it and still the same result, and then after some more research people have been raving about the LR Baggs Lyric so I  just put in a LR Baggs Lyric in, I left the ES in tact, and added another jack, what a huge improvement in the sound, the guitar sounds like it should no quack on the B string.  I now am running both systems through Radial E Ez Pre blending the pickups together. The Lyric provides clean high end and the ES gives you a deep low end, and with the EZ Pre you have the ability to change the blend and EQ with a great deal of control.  I recommend you look around before you update the ES or if buying new leave the ES out of the Guitar.  Using another system really is a huge improvement in the plugged in sound. 

Happy Playing.

edited for price
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 10:00:06 PM by UTGF-Team »

CodeBlueEMT

• Veteran Member
  • In Dog Beers, I've Only Had One
Re: I upgraded the ES system and found
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2013, 01:01:55 AM »
 No problems with any of my ES equipped Taylor's.
Shayne

2017 Taylor T5z Pro SE "Erwin"
2014 Taylor 524ce
2013 Martin 000-28EC Sunburst
2013 Taylor 616ce-LTD (African Ebony)
2012 Gibson USA Angus Young SG
2012 Taylor GSce-FLTD (Quilted Sapele)
2011 Taylor 314ce
2008 Taylor SB-1 Classic
1999 Taylor XXV-DR
Hard Knocks Custom Esquire "Miss Bettie"

joshsimpson79

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2013, 09:52:41 AM »
Could we get a pic, please?
2022 GT Mahogany
2013 GS Mini-E Mahogany
Cordoba C5

Montaramike

• Mike McCall, Spanish Guitarist
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2013, 10:40:35 AM »
sorry to hear.. ES has worked flawlessly for me.
2011 Taylor Fall  Limited Cedar/Blackwood (Nylon)
Carmel Guitar Co OM Sinker/Bloodwood
Holden Village GS Mini
Navarro Special Grand Concert

drose

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2013, 03:09:34 PM »
I put a lyric in my Martin, and is by far the best (in my opinion)nfor any acousti, recording or live!

PMcC

• Peter McCarthy
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2013, 03:39:08 PM »
hey misterwinefine,...thanks for the info.

I have a Lyric in my D28,...a week ago I bought the hog 524 e,...IMO the ES is horrible for the reasons you mention.  It sounds nothing like the guitar.

I wish I'd had bought the axe with no electronics,..I think the Lyric sounds great in my D28.  I'm not crazy about drilling a second hole, but sounds like you have the best of both worlds now.

thx for posting your result

PM

MikeB

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2013, 08:26:45 AM »
Interesting that the OP has only posted here that one time to complain about the ES.   I have seen similar complaints on the acousticguitar forum, including 1 person who said they eq'd with 3 point equing in the upper midrange - scooping up a couple of dBs and down a couple in a particular small range.
No question that piezos can produce a high-mid harshness, its inherent with the type of pickup, but the difference in sound between my Fishman-equipped Fender and the 310ce is night and day.