Author Topic: Good evening, from the UK  (Read 2295 times)

magirus

Good evening, from the UK
« on: February 13, 2017, 05:49:06 PM »
Hello there everyone. After many years of infrequent messing around with a Simon & Patrick SP6 I decided that at 60yrs old this coming June it was high time I made a concerted effort to learn to play guitar hopefully somewhat reasonably. I had some money from Christmas presents, so I added some spare cash to that and bought a GS Mini Koa from WildWire Guitars, great service I have to say. A month in I've got half a dozen chords off and I'm starting to get a little faster and smoother with the changes and I'm working on a couple of songs to keep the interest going too. I clearly can't contribute but hope to learn a lot here. I had a choice of quite a few individual guitars from 4 or 5 dealers, but with a little discount and dodging a price rise by 24hrs I picked this up for about the same as a spruce top with self fitted electrics.....

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
Re: Good evening, from the UK
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2017, 05:58:53 PM »
Welcome! That sure is a pretty GS mini. You'll enjoy this forum, glad you joined.
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+
Pono Guileles: Mango Baritone Deluxe ○ Mahogany Baritone

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

SoCalSurf

• Veteran Member
  • Don't have what you want; want what you have.
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2017, 06:51:21 PM »
Welcome! I think you'll find this forum to be very informative and interesting. Enjoy and have fun.
Taylor: GS Mini (koa), 517e, K24ce
Gibson: Hummingbird, SJ-200, SJ-200 12-string, SJ-200 parlor, Woody Guthrie J45 Southern Jumbo
Martin: 0000 Custom Ziricote
Preston Thompson O-Koa

NavyChap

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2017, 07:22:27 PM »
Welcome to the Forum -- and congratulations on a BEAUTIFUL guitar!!  Where in the UK are you -- my grandmother came from Liverpool (before the Beatles, of course!)
Jim
2015 Taylor 314ce
1997 Taylor 414ce
2005 Zager ZAD50CE
2016 Seagull S6 Original
2016 Epiphone PR-5E/N

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2017, 09:31:21 AM »
Welcome to the forum magirus.  I think you will enjoy your GS Mini very much.  Yours has some nice looking figuring to it. Congratulations.   
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2017, 04:02:44 PM »
Welcome to our forum magirus!

That is a very unusual koa top - quite lovely and distinctive. Glad to hear you're enjoying the journey. Again, welcome!
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood

magirus

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2017, 06:51:36 PM »
Thanks all for the warm welcome! I looked at lots of different examples before this one caught my eye, some with really extreme figuring on both top and/or back, but I wanted something with nice grain on both sides without being too extreme and this was right on my taste. I'm thinking some ebony bridge pins with inlay, and a TRC to match will look nice eventually. Re Liverpool, I'm on the other side of the country but not too far away, I live a short stroll outside of Durham City, part of which you may recognise from a product of another hobby..........

captaineasychord

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2017, 05:08:17 AM »
A little tip... If you want to reduce wear on the top, find or buy a tablet screen protector and cut a scratchplate yourself. It's dirt cheap, barely visible, stays in place well but is easily removed and does a great job of protecting the finish.

magirus

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2017, 09:26:08 AM »
A little tip... If you want to reduce wear on the top, find or buy a tablet screen protector and cut a scratchplate yourself. It's dirt cheap, barely visible, stays in place well but is easily removed and does a great job of protecting the finish.

Thanks for that tip. I've been thinking that I will either have to protect the top where a scratchplate would be, or in the future if the area shows signs of wear that bother me, then fit a scratchplate to cover it. I've thought about trying some Heli tape, which I have fitted to the rub/wear ares of my bicycles. It's virtually invisible when fitted, very tough, and can be very easily removed and/or refitted. I've had some on the top and down tubes of my good bike for 3 years and it's never come away in those high contact areas so I'm sure it'll work ok on a guitar top. Here's a link to where I bought it.  http://www.paragontapes.co.uk/gallery/0-36mm-tape 

captaineasychord

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2017, 10:21:10 AM »
That stuff looks good, I'd just be very careful to make sure it doesn't damage the finish if you do want to remove it in future. Maybe try a little bit on the back of the guitar first.

magirus

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2017, 11:17:09 AM »
That stuff looks good, I'd just be very careful to make sure it doesn't damage the finish if you do want to remove it in future. Maybe try a little bit on the back of the guitar first.

That's my only reservation, it's one thing using it on painted aluminium where the paint finish is very hard and polished, but you are quite right about trying it on wood. I think I'll contact the seller for advice and also do some test strips on some old drawers and offcuts I keep in the garage. Also I've discovered there's a very good luthier in a village near me, so perhaps a quick phone call there may be helpful.

zeebow

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2017, 03:05:36 PM »
welcome! nice guitar. one day i hope to visit the uk!

would be awesome to see ed sheeran perform in the uk, that would be super cool
1995 912C - englemann/eir
2009 xxxv-p - sitka/madagascar
2010 414ce - sitka/ovangkol (made on my wedding day!)
2011 914ce - cedar/eir
2014 martin 000-28 custom - adi/cocobolo
2017 BTO GC 12 fret - lutz/cocobolo
2019 BTO GC 12 fret - cedar/cocobolo
2019 sheeran w03 - cedar/santos rosewood
2019 lowden s35 12 fret - driftwood cedar/cocobolo
2020 lowden s35 12 fret alpine spruce/madagascar
2023 lowden wee wl-35 12 fret - driftwood cedar/madagascar
2023 martin 00-28 modern deluxe - sitka/eir

magirus

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2017, 03:54:56 PM »

Thanks! Better than Ed Sheeran, if you visit the UK and get to Durham I'll buy you a pint of Castle Eden Ale in the Dun Cow....  ;-)

zeebow

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2017, 09:34:36 PM »

Thanks! Better than Ed Sheeran, if you visit the UK and get to Durham I'll buy you a pint of Castle Eden Ale in the Dun Cow....  ;-)

lol nice! not a u.k. beer but my favorite beer is chimay blue grand reserve. yummy!
1995 912C - englemann/eir
2009 xxxv-p - sitka/madagascar
2010 414ce - sitka/ovangkol (made on my wedding day!)
2011 914ce - cedar/eir
2014 martin 000-28 custom - adi/cocobolo
2017 BTO GC 12 fret - lutz/cocobolo
2019 BTO GC 12 fret - cedar/cocobolo
2019 sheeran w03 - cedar/santos rosewood
2019 lowden s35 12 fret - driftwood cedar/cocobolo
2020 lowden s35 12 fret alpine spruce/madagascar
2023 lowden wee wl-35 12 fret - driftwood cedar/madagascar
2023 martin 00-28 modern deluxe - sitka/eir

Saxacat

• Veteran Member
  • Northumberland, England.
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2017, 01:32:01 AM »

Ahhh the Dun Cow, popped in there a few times when visiting the daughter at Uni; nice pint :-)
Taylor GA-Ke
Yamaha LL16
Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
Yamaha SLG100s

More money than ability.