Author Topic: A little more on TaylorSense  (Read 1358 times)

ericjungemann

A little more on TaylorSense
« on: July 26, 2017, 09:38:51 AM »
So, I've had the TaylorSense installed in my K65ce for six months now.

Stuff I've noticed (perhaps obvious to those that track guitar humidity):

1.  I always thought that here in Northern California, we had a nice blend of temperature and moisture and I never did anything special with my guitars.  On stands all the time.  Rarely in the cases. How wrong I was.
2.  With TaylorSense, I could see that my guitars were going very low . . . 32% sometimes.  Just putting in the case raised the humidity an average of 5% without doing anything else.
3.  With some DampIts (3 in my case) - see Jim Taylor dry guitar videos on YouTube - the guitar, over a couple of days, climbed into the 50's.  Take it out of the case for a day, low 40's.  A DampIt by the headstock by itself didn't do much.  These are DampIts (wrung out) in the soundhole.  I also added their soundhole cover which works well on Taylors.
4.  So nice to check the guitar in the case at anytime within bluetooth range.  The guitar can be checked in the case, on the stand, while playing etc.

Obviously, any of this can be done without the TaylorSense.  But it sure makes it easy.  And, I've learned more than the price of admission 
Eric Jungemann
GS Mini E Koa Plus
150e

LK17

Re: A little more on TaylorSense
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2017, 06:19:28 PM »
So, I've had the TaylorSense installed in my K65ce for six months now.

Stuff I've noticed (perhaps obvious to those that track guitar humidity):

1.  I always thought that here in Northern California, we had a nice blend of temperature and moisture and I never did anything special with my guitars.  On stands all the time.  Rarely in the cases. How wrong I was.
2.  With TaylorSense, I could see that my guitars were going very low . . . 32% sometimes.  Just putting in the case raised the humidity an average of 5% without doing anything else.
3.  With some DampIts (3 in my case) - see Jim Taylor dry guitar videos on YouTube - the guitar, over a couple of days, climbed into the 50's.  Take it out of the case for a day, low 40's.  A DampIt by the headstock by itself didn't do much.  These are DampIts (wrung out) in the soundhole.  I also added their soundhole cover which works well on Taylors.
4.  So nice to check the guitar in the case at anytime within bluetooth range.  The guitar can be checked in the case, on the stand, while playing etc.

Obviously, any of this can be done without the TaylorSense.  But it sure makes it easy.  And, I've learned more than the price of admission

I've been using the TaylorSense on my 2017 Taylor 814CE since I bought it new in March of this year. I mainly use the TaylorSense for humidity and temperature readings. I found the tuner to be somewhat useless but there was an undate recently which I think was to improve the tuner function. The recording feature I've messed around with and is useful if you come up with an idea and wanna make sure you don't wanna forget it or possibly to share later with others. I don't pay much attention to the impact feature as I never have left my house with my new guitar yet lol.

So the most important feature for me and the most useful feature is the humidity feature. Now I have noticed that my TaylorSense reads about 3% to 5% higher than what it actually is and this is not something I'm worried about. I only know this because I have three hygrometers that I've tested the TaylorSense against. All three hygrometers read on average 44%, 45% and 45%. While the TaylorSense reads pretty much always 48% to 49% (out of the case). This is with all three hygrometers placed around the guitar (out of the case). Now if I place my Taylor into the Taylor hard shell case my TaylorSense reads 55% to 58%. And if I place my three hygrometers inside the case I'll get readings between 48% to 53%.

So basically the case holds moisture like crazy and I've tried to remedy this by blow drying the case (recommended by Taylor and I even purchased weatherstripping to make the case more airtight and no luck. The Taylor case is great for protection but it will not be good against humidity control much.

Now I'm only able to have the great readings of 44% to 46% using a dehumidifier I purchased to keep the humidity at 45% average. Before buying the dehumidifier and as summer came along I started getting readings around 67% to 72% and this scared the crap out of me so I purchased the dehumidifier. I tried the D'Addario Two Way Humidifier kit with absolutely no luck and my guess is it was just to darn humid and as mentioned above the Taylor hard shell case was not good at keeping the humidity stable somewhat because otherwise I believe the D'Addario Two Way Humidifier kit would have done a great job. I now leave my Taylor out of the case and on a strong and nice guitar stand because the dehumidifier works so great and I have no kids or anyone to worry about bumping into it or damaging it. On the stand it's able to breathe and get the right amount of humidity.

In your situation maybe purchasing a humidifier (not a dehumidifier) to humidify the area you keep your guitar at. And the humidifier might be decent enough to humidify the whole house accurately so no worries at all. Make sure if you do ever decide to get a humidifier you get one that lets you digitally set the desired humidity percentage %%%. Otherwise you may over humidify lol. I paid two forty nine for my dehumidifier and it's a 70 pint version and it's the right size to keep my 2000 square ft house at the perfect range. One of the best investments I ever made and a peace of mind too :)

Good luck :) And btw sorry for this being so lengthy lol
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 06:22:13 PM by LK17 »
2017 Taylor 814CE :) :) :)
2014 Larrivee LV-03E
2010 Manuel Rodriguez - Cocobolo
2014 Fender Stratocaster - Daphne Blue - Billy Corgan loaded Dimarzio Pickguard
2017 Fender Classic 60’s Jazzmaster - Surf Green
2017 Fender Classic Player Jaguar HH - Olympic White
1963 Fender Duo Sonic - “Currently being restored - Paint finish”
2004 Ibanez SA220QM - Quilted Black/Gray/Purple

pjmorley

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2017, 06:27:40 PM »
Too bad TaylorSense only supports less than 20% of smarphones.  Backroom deal with Apple?

Minnesotaman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2017, 11:38:33 AM »
Good Question. +1