Author Topic: R-Taylor ...represent!  (Read 11847 times)

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
R-Taylor ...represent!
« on: December 13, 2011, 02:02:38 AM »
OK, so just wondering ...anyone here as goofy about RTs as I am?  Or am I alone ...alone ...alone ... :)

Chime in, all.  I know it's perhaps a stretch, but man would it be great to fuse RT discussion with regular Taylor talk. After all, it's still "Taylor" oriented, but of another order.   For the record, I love both, love talking about both, and of course own both (hence, the geeky love for these things!), but always get bummed out when the discussion disintegrates because someone gets their feelings hurt then gets defensive ...seen it too many times (yeah, you know where).   So let's have at it, folks.  I'd love to talk RTs and Taylors all in the same place as different flavors of some killer cream :)

Edward

Iplay2

Re: R-Taylor ...represent!
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2011, 10:08:14 AM »
Ok Edward....

You start a thread about R-Taylors, but you don't post any pics of your R-Taylor or even talk about it....fail.   ;)

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2011, 10:24:30 AM »
Yeah, I know I know.  Been swamped at work and when I get home, it's too dark to take even half-way decent pics (I don't take good flash shots ...jsut not talent there :) ).

It'll happen ...will shoot for this weekend to do some, er, shooting! :)

Oh, as as for "Talking about mine" ...well I've got a two beauties:

1. RT Style 1 (that's a GS body) in 12 string.  Maple/Sitka, full-blown AAAA flame and full-body/neck honey burst.  Flamed binding throughout.  Um, wow!  And deep deeeeep tone accompanies the 12-er jangle.  Um, wow :)

2. RT Style 2 (that's a GC body ...just got her!! :D ).  Maple/Englemann (thanks Cindy for the engelmann heads up ...what a diff!!).  The back/sides are AAAA maple quilt in natural finish, the so-called "Bob's birthday quilt" which from what I understand is an insider ribbing about how amazing the quilt is.  And the neck is likewise a AAAA maple, but in flame.  Coco binding offers a stark contrast to all that blonde.  After I had played a 12-fret at a road show (big tone that belied its small size), I got it in my head that I wanted a small body.  But the regular GC nody jsut didn't "do it" for me, tonally.   So when I picked up this Style 2 it was because of the stunning aesthetics, and then played it for a second, then a minute, and realized I had to kept her for the tone.  How the RT boys get such depth and richness from this small body is phenominal.  And string-to-string balance is perfect; "even"  as all get out.  The engel top is very touch sensitive, much like my cedar/rw GA7.   I am so surprised that this Style 2 is so deep and rich (not adjectives one normally ascribes to maple, mind you), that I thought I would have this small RT compliment my GA7 ...now I think the GA is tonally redundant as this maple/engel in small bod suprisingly covers the tone soooo well i'm a thinking my beloved GA will need another home.  My only "problem" is this style 2 has no ES (my Style 1 has a stealth ES) so I'll eventually have to get a pup in there.  Yeah, not a bad problem to have, to be sure :D

...ok, so how's that for droning on...  Kind of like asking a dad if he has pics of his kids and out comes the endless tale of brithdays, soccer, and T-ball...  :D

Edward
« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 10:43:40 AM by Edward »

jalbert

• I should be practicing
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2011, 11:17:23 AM »
2008 Style 2 with cedar over mahogany. This is the base model 2 with two upgrades: the slotted headstock and cocobolo binding. No cutaway, no electronics. If I ever do play it at church I'll probably just sit in front of a microphone to avoid installing a pickup in this beauty.
James

'07 GA8-12
'19 Academy 12e-N

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2011, 11:36:07 AM »
Hey James,

Man I played that one!  I have always  LOVED slotted headstocks and was ohhh so close to keeping it in my hands, if only for the whole look!  But alas, the allure of the quilt beckoned... and I was so stunned by how "big" these style 2s sound, and the sonic punch of maple.... :)
Great tone, there, as you clearly know...congrats!!

May I ask why the reticence to put a pup inside?  I always wondered why RT folks typically have no front strap button nor ES (or other pup system).  I twice now ordered a strap pin and play mine out whenever I can.  Is it that demographic for RT owners are more the "sit down/unplugged" style as opposed to band setting?

Edward

Andromeda

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2011, 01:14:24 PM »
I am disappointed that R Taylor never got around to doing a jumbo body style.
2016 Taylor Custom Cedar-Rosewood GS
2015 Breedlove Discovery Dreadnaught
2012 Alvarez ABT60 Baritone

Namasté

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2011, 02:26:35 PM »
... May I ask why the reticence to put a pup inside?  I always wondered why RT folks typically have no front strap button nor ES (or other pup system).  I twice now ordered a strap pin and play mine out whenever I can.  Is it that demographic for RT owners are more the "sit down/unplugged" style as opposed to band setting?

Edward
if the model is a non-cutaway, i think that it is more likely it will not have electronics -
in a way, perhaps Taylor went 'back to their roots' in that earlier acoustic models
(pre-acoustic series, think 99-earlier) or models that were cutaway only did not have
the neck heel strap pin already installed (i have a 98 414 that just has the end pin)

i think that on a pure acoustic, there no was intention of playing plugged in, much less standing up -
the guitar could be mic'd externally & if standing, the usual thing to do was to tie one end of the
strap above the nut around the headstock. a good # of guitars from PA come with just the endpin

nearly all the RTs with cutaways i've seen on dealer site had electronics, mostly with onboard eq -
i would have thought, in those instances, that the ESNC would have been a 'better' choice, as
there are no holes in the body & the endpin is of standard size (not routed for a power supply)

still waiting for davwir to chime in here :D
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 12:00:58 AM by michaelw »
it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2011, 08:56:41 PM »
Ok Edward....

You start a thread about R-Taylors, but you don't post any pics of your R-Taylor or even talk about it....fail.   ;)

I've now been shamed into submission.  Pics have just been uploaded to the NTGD forum.  Still a new guy here and already I've failed.  Oh well, get used to it, all!  :D  :D  :D

Edward

flaggerphil

• Florida Space Coast
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2011, 10:32:59 PM »
I have a Style 1, redwood (not sinker) over claro walnut.  It'll be going up for sale, soon, though.
Phil

Playing guitar badly since 1964.

2006 R.Taylor Style 1 Redwood/Walnut
2016 Taylor 710e SS
2013 Taylor 528e
2003 Taylor 600-SPEC
2002 Taylor 510-LTD
2010 Taylor GS Mini-M
2006 Taylor T5-C Cocobolo
2015 Taylor T5z Classic
1937 A-Style Mandolin
Kala SMHT Ukulele
Kala SMHTC-E Ukulele

Bill R

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2011, 05:23:13 PM »
I have a 2008 Style 2 cocobolo and Swiss alpine spruce.  It has a cutaway and ES, ebony binding, blank fret board, no inlays other than abalone rosette - fairly simple.  I went for the tone and got it big time.  I'm picking up my new RT style 2 in two days.  It has flamed mahogany back and sides and an old growth redwood top, rosewood binding, cutaway, ES and jescar frets.  Otherwise no inlay.  I prefer rather plain looking guitars (except for the wood itself). 

When I get back from visiting family for the holidays and figure out how to set up a photobucket account, I promise I will post pics of both guitars. 

I absolutely love RT's. 

Bill
Music is what life sounds like.  ~Eric Olson

2002 - Taylor GA 500 series 12-string
2008 - R Taylor 2 cocobolo and Swiss alpine spruce (for sale)
2013 - John Greven OOO

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2011, 05:48:59 PM »
Wow, someone likes Style 2s ;)
...and I definitely can sy I can't blame you!!

Sounds like two amazing guitars.  I've read so much about the tone of alpine spruce  ...do tell more, if you don't mind.

And I rarely ever see flamed mahogany, like hens teeth ...that'll be a real treat.  Not to mention Jescar wire is excellent.  I love SS frets on my electrics; on an acoustic would be even better!   Yes, please post pics.  And, of course, have a great Christmas holiday!!

Edward

Bill R

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2011, 11:21:22 PM »
Edward,
It's difficult to describe tone, but I'll give it a shot.  I have read that Euro spruce (esp. Swiss alpine spruce) has characteristics of both Engelmann and red spruces, and that seems to fit.  My guitar is very balanced in tone, which is what I requested when I ordered it.  If anything the mids are somewhat prominent (open A and D strings in particular).  It has a very rich, mature, smooth tone - particularly in the mids and low mids.  The trebles really sing.  In drop D tuning, the bass sounds luscious but not overpowering.  Harmonics are very nice - Bob Taylor describes this as "bloom."  This would also describe qualities of Engelmann spruce.  I can drive this guitar really hard if I want to (not my usual style) and it won't top out.  This seems to be a characteristic of red spruce.  I play with a thumb pick (speed pick) and bare fingers (short nails). 

I met Michael Lille, R Taylor sales manager, at a Taylor clinic at Wildwood Music in Ohio last August.  He played my style 2 and said is was "extraordinary" in how balanced and rich it sounded, even for an R Taylor.  We discussed options for my new RT at the workshop.  He then helped oversee wood selection for my new R Taylor.  Flamed mahogany was an optional wood upgrade on the 2011 R Taylor price list.  My guitar will look a lot like the GS Mahogany Fall 2010 limited (see it on Taylor's website).  I requested flamed rather than quilted mahogany with the same golden stain as on the Fall 2010 limited - similar to the shade of Koa.  I'm very anxious to pick it up this week. I wanted a different voice than my coco/swiss guitar, so I went with redwood for the top.  I had read a lot of good things about redwood tops.  We'll see. 

Bill
Music is what life sounds like.  ~Eric Olson

2002 - Taylor GA 500 series 12-string
2008 - R Taylor 2 cocobolo and Swiss alpine spruce (for sale)
2013 - John Greven OOO

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2011, 12:50:04 AM »
Hey Bill,

Thanks for that!  So many woods, so little time! ;)
I am a recent engelmann guy as I have just "discovered" it as a tone wood I really like.  One day I will consider a sinker top ...never played one, but by the "read" of it, I think it's right up my alley.  Enjoy your Christmas!  ....but don't forget to post pics of that flamed maple now.  :D

Edward

quake17

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2012, 02:39:09 PM »
New guy here! I have a 2006 Style 1 with Madagascar Rosewood and Swiss Moon Spruce top. I bought it in 2007 after the original owner trader it in to Buffalo Bros. Looks as good as new and sounds great!

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2012, 05:10:03 PM »
Welcome to the forum ...and to this thread!! 

OK welcome is over, now post your RT pics  ;)
...no, serious.   Post pics!
:D
Edward