Author Topic: More volume/tone from nylon string Taylor  (Read 916 times)

Fletchpic

More volume/tone from nylon string Taylor
« on: November 30, 2016, 12:18:45 PM »
I was able to get a lot more acoustic sound out of my NS34ce by removing the under-saddle pickup (and original saddle), and then replacing  them with a single bone saddle, which makes direct contact with the bridge.

Of course the problem now is that I can't plug-in, because there is no under saddle pickup.

What would be the best way to install a simple pickup that uses bridge-plate sensors? Is there a way to use the original end-pin jack of the Taylor ES-N system in conjunction with other pickup systems? I would prefer something that doesn't require a battery or pre-amp...like a K & K pure mini or something similar...

Thanks!
John
« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 12:17:53 AM by Fletchpic »

Fletchpic

Re: More volume/tone from nylon string Taylor
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2016, 03:56:20 AM »
I think that I just need a adhesive surface transducer that has a plug that will fit into the guitar's preamp. (2.5mm)

I have found several online...

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
Re: More volume/tone from nylon string Taylor
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2016, 10:33:53 AM »
Lots of folks like the K&K transducers ...I have steadily gone on record as not liking their tone.  That said, the LR Baggs I-Beam is a decent under-bridge transducer.  They make a passive version, so it's not only less to install, but no fuss with battery changes; and even better a nylon-string-specific version that is presumably tweaked for this application.  I have one on a solid-topped cedar/lam body spanish guit  and it sounds decent plugged in direct, and quite good through a DI which has a tone-shaping abilities.  FWIW, I personally think it's better than a K&K.  But there are likely newer versions of passive transducers out there ...just make sure they are voiced for nylons as that will likely get you a more natural amplified tone.

Edward