Author Topic: Taylor ES-Go Pickup or new guitar?  (Read 1547 times)

Callumw

Taylor ES-Go Pickup or new guitar?
« on: August 01, 2013, 09:06:31 AM »
I'm starting music college in September, and I have a Taylor Mini, which of course isn't electric. Is the ES-Go going to do me any favours in the studio?
I am wanting a new guitar, I have a budget of £400. Should I invest in a guitar just for recording?

Fire

Re: Taylor ES-Go Pickup or new guitar?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2013, 11:33:54 AM »
In a studio environment, mic'ing your GS Mini will have better results compared to plugged-in with the ES-Go.

I used to own a GS-Mini with ES-Go, recorded with it and the pair hold their own against my higher-end Taylors equipped with the latest ES.

2011 Taylor FLTD GA Koa 12-Fret
2015 Taylor T5z Pro
2015 Martin 000-15m

Captain Jim

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2013, 12:07:09 PM »
Save your budget, buy the ES-Go.  Add an EQ pedal to shape the tone, if you feel the need.  Note: the preceding was a free opinion - your bucks, your choice.

I prefer the sound of my 814ce, but the GSmini gets plenty of play-time.  I find the ES-Go sounds a bit more "electric,"  but the aforementioned EQ pedal or a decent mixer helps.

Best wishes with music college!

Captain Jim
2014 Taylor 522ce 12-fret
2012 Taylor 814ce
2006 Taylor T-5
2011 Taylor GSmini
2013 Rainsong Shorty SG-FLE
Gibson ES-335-TDC (1965)
Bose L1 Compact
Roland Cube-ST
Fishman Loudbox Mini

paul_zm

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2013, 04:12:55 PM »
If you were going to add a sound hole pickup, I'd go with something better the the ES-Go.

oatordeal

• Veteran Member
  • Manila, Philippines
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2013, 05:46:20 AM »
In a studio environment, mic'ing your GS Mini will have better results compared to plugged-in with the ES-Go.

I used to own a GS-Mini with ES-Go, recorded with it and the pair hold their own against my higher-end Taylors equipped with the latest ES.

This. In studio recording, mic'ing will be the best way to go. It provides the most natural sound. You can buy a new guitar without a pick-up as well, and use that for recording, rather than buying an ES-Go and record using it. But if you will also use it to amplify your sound for live performances, there are other options. Especially when you have the budget.  ;D
Best regards,
Nims

814ce 2012
GS Mini Hog 2015
'52ri Fender Telecaster 2007