Author Topic: Hello from Missouri! Problems with my Taylor  (Read 1195 times)

Dorianscaleformula

Hello from Missouri! Problems with my Taylor
« on: October 16, 2017, 03:33:11 PM »
Hello. I'm 23 and have been playing guitar for 10 years now. And for my 18th birthday I got a used Taylor GS8e and its sweet man. At the time I was unaware of the importance in really taking care of an expensive acoustic guitar. So this guitar was my regular player for a good two years. And has lived in the case for about a year now.

I went to pull it out of the case to really look it overand check all the knicks and scratches and what not. And I noticed the heel is starting to pull away from the back of the guitar. The heel used to butt up right against the binding, now its separated about 1/32 of an inch. You can see the cracked and crumbling glue. But the tuning and playability has not changed. And the rest of the fretboard and the partof the heel closer to the face of the guitar seems fine.( in place where it should be)

But this worries me. A friend advised to me to throw a moist sponge in the case for a day or two to see if that dont helps but I wanted a second opinion.

Thanks, Dylan.

timfitz63

• Veteran Member
  • Getting better one strum at a time...
Re: Hello from Missouri! Problems with my Taylor
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2017, 04:05:15 PM »
Hi, Dylan!  And welcome!

Your problem does sound suspiciously like a humidification issue; but before taking any action I would ascertain what the humidity level is inside your guitar's case.  This will allow you to take the proper corrective action.  Probably the easiest way to determine the humidity level in your guitar case is to visit your local guitar store and buy a hygrometer that is suitably-sized for a guitar case with the guitar in it.  If memory serves, Taylor recommends a target humidity level of 41-50% RH.

The Taylor web site has quite a bit of information on the routine care and feeding of your guitar, including humidification.  Recommend you visit that web page to learn more about the different symptoms that indicate whether a guitar is too dry or too wet, as well as the available products to help maintain the proper humidity level.  Although your guitar probably isn't under warranty for repairs, Taylor Customer Service (800-943-6782) will be happy to provide you with helpful advice as well.

Good luck!  Let us know how it turns out!
DN: 360e, 510ce, 510e-FLTD, 810ce-LTD (Braz RW), PS10ce
GA: 414ce, 614ce-LTD, 714ce-FLTD, BR-V, BTO (Makore, 'Wild Grain' RW, Blkwood), GAce-FLTD, K24ce, PS14ce (Coco, Braz RW, "Milagro"), W14ce-LTD
GC: 812ce-LTD TF, BTO TF ('Sinker'/Walnut, Engelmann/"Milagro"), LTG #400
GO: 718e-FLTD, BTO (Taz Myrtle)
GS: Custom 516e, BTO 12's (Taz Tiger Myrtle, 'Crazy' RW), 556ce, 656ce, K66ce, PS56ce ("Milagro")
GS Mini 2012 Spring LTD (Blackwood)
T3/B: Custom (Cu & Au Sparkle)
T5: C1, C5-12, S (Aztec Gold)

donlyn

• Veteran Member
  • De gustibus non disputandum
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2017, 06:51:28 PM »
Poor humidification is a likely culprit, but I would also ask what gauge strings are on it and if they are tuned to standard. Too much tension on the neck could also be a contributing cause. Hard to tell a lot, if for no other reason than the guitar just sat in its case for a year (your words). Where was the guitar left? How severe are winters in your neck of the woods? Drying out can cause cracking in the guitar, as Tim alludes to. Since you got it used do you know its history?

Like Tim said, please get a hygrometer and do check out Taylor's website, including the download about choosing and caring for your guitar.
* The Heard:
85 Gibson J 200  sitka/rosewood Jumbo
99 Taylor 355  sitka/sapele 12 string Jumbo
06 Alvarez AJ60S  englemann/mpl lam m Jumbo
14 Taylor 818e  sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10  all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor  all walnut Jumbo
16 Taylor 412e-R SE  sitka/rosewood GC
16 Taylor 458e-R  sitka/rosewood 12 string GO
21 Epiphone J-200  sitka/maple Jumbo
22 Guild F-1512 s/rw 12 string Jumbo

* Tenor Ukuleles:
Kala KA STG
Kala KA APT5 CTG 5 string

Knuckle47

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2017, 10:07:37 PM »
From my experiences, I'd say your best bet will be to send it to Taylor for a neck reset.  This will guarantee correct fit and neck angle of the repaired neck. Since most of the tone and playability of the guitar originate form these areas....it will be better for you I. The long run
Taylor T5z Cocobolo
Gretsch 6136 White Falcon1965
Gretsch 6118
Gretsch Country Club
Gretsch Brian Setzer
Gibson Les Paul Recording 1971
Gibson J200
Line 6 Acoustic 700
Godin concert nylon synth
Brian Moore iGuitar
Epiphone Joe Pass Emperor ll
1970 Les Paul custom
Fender Tele b-bender
Fender Strat

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2017, 10:41:24 AM »
Hi Dylan,

The heel separating sounds exceeding odd to me!  Especially about cracked and crumbling glue ...these necks are bolt-ons, as I'm sure you already know, right?  The heel is a seriously strong part of the guitar, and if you were facing humidity (dryness) issues, you would have likely seen it first on the guitar's top or back, the areas most sensitive to low RH.  Perhaps post a pic of the malady will clarify things?

Edward