Author Topic: I'm a picker, not a strummer. :-/  (Read 1639 times)

amy71

I'm a picker, not a strummer. :-/
« on: June 28, 2016, 11:29:35 PM »
Hey everyone,
  Question about my technique and any advice is welcome. I just started playing about 5 months ago and have been taking lessons. My teacher is great, but I am having a really difficult time with rythym and strumming. What's weird is I've managed to teach myself 2 complete songs that are finger picking and actually more complicated per my teacher than the song I've been working on strumming. Mind you I am still needing to improve technique on the songs I pick...but I'm just so frustrated with strumming even simple songs! I sound terrible
  My teacher and I discussed it, and I just feel more connected to the guitar when I pick, and we decided we would work on my technique with the song I've learned to pick now, because I'm just not getting anywhere with the other. This doesn't mean we aren't going to address my issues, but I'm pretty sure he senses my frustrations over my lack of improvement. He's a tough one, and he seems kind of perplexed as well. We spent most of my lesson last week just talking about the differences when of what's going on in my head when I play both styles. Even tried strumminf with out a pick. It was like a therapy session. Lol.
  I am even able to sing, keep rythym, etc with the two picking songs. What the heck is wrong with me! Lol. If anyone has a good link or advice...it's appreciated.

I'm sure part of the issue is that since I fee more comfortable picking, I tend to practice those songs more...but it's still annoying!

The songs I can play are both KT Tunstall (universe and U and Throw me a Rope)
The song I've been trying to strum is called Everything, a cover done by Stereo Fuse. I really like the song, and it's not that complicated. My right hand just won't cooperate. Lol.

Amy
810 taylor acoustic (my love)
Seagull acoustic electric
« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 11:44:39 PM by amy71 »

autovon

• Just a humble guitarist looking to learn more
Re: I'm a picker, not a strummer. :-/
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2016, 01:15:11 AM »
Hey Amy, thanks for sharing about your "therapy sessions!" I've had more than a few of those! LOL My experience with playing guitar is quite the opposite in that I just love to strum but have never cared much for picking and it didn't come natural. Strumming did, so the two guitar teachers I had accommodated me. I have explored some picking and fingerstyle, but I stick to strumming mostly because it's what I enjoy. And the way it worked for me was once I mastered strumming (although I wouldn't consider myself a master as I've only been playing about 6 years), it allowed me to feel more comfortable with slowly branching out into picking and fingerstyle. So my advice would be this: master what comes natural, and once you have a good base, branch out to other styles when you feel comfortable doing so. ~billy
- T5 Cocobolo (the most beautiful guitar I've ever seen... that I could afford:) **FOR SALE**
- BTO GS with cedar top, IRW b/s, and bloodwood trimmings (the most beautiful sounding guitar I've ever played)

tedtan

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2016, 10:40:56 AM »
A lot of players who favor finger style over using a pick will strum with the index finger and/or thumb of their picking hand, so if you feel more connected to the instrument using your fingers rather than a pick, don't hesitate to experiment with strumming using various combinations of your picking hand fingers to find what works for you.

It sounds like you started working with this approach during your last lesson, but it will take a bit of time before you know if it will work for you or not.

John

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2016, 10:53:37 AM »
A lot of players who favor finger style over using a pick will strum with the index finger and/or thumb of their picking hand, so if you feel more connected to the instrument using your fingers rather than a pick, don't hesitate to experiment with strumming using various combinations of your picking hand fingers to find what works for you.
I agree, I used to play with a pick exclusively, then took some classical lessons and learned a good picking technique and never went back to a pick even after purchasing my Taylor Steel string guitar. My strumming method is with my index finger. I will add addition fingers to the strum for a fuller sound when needed. The great part about this technique is you don’t need to switch from strumming with a pick to finger picking during a song.
2013 Taylor 512ce 12 fret
Takamine 132sc - Classical
Fender Strat

Frettingflyer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2016, 05:14:32 PM »
Hi Amy,
You are not alone. When I played for a bit before taking 20+ years off I used to say I strummed like a robot, all finger style for me. When I picked it back up the only instructor I could find who would work around my schedule only played with a pick, or 98% anyway. He said he could teach me to strum, and he did. Still, fingerpicking is my first love and although glad I can also play with a pick I am putting 80% of my efforts into my fingerpicking.
Play what you want, if eventually you want to strum bad enough you will learn how but you will already have the fretting part down. Lots of good players who focus on fingerpicking. Enjoy your playing, that's the point. The destination is just there to help us stay the course, the journey is where the joy really is.
Dave
2014 Koa GS Mini-e FLTD (for the wife)
2004 314ce,
2014 custom GC Coco/Euro spruce
2015 Wildwood 812ce 12 fret
2016 522ce 12 fret
2019 K24ce BE
2021 322e
2017 Blackbird Lucky 13
2019 Mcpherson Sable

timfitz63

• Veteran Member
  • Getting better one strum at a time...
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2016, 09:54:42 PM »
Well, Amy, I guess you just need to be a-pickin' and a-grinnin'... ;)

Actually, I'm the opposite of you:  while I also struggle with keeping proper cadence (more of a rhythm issue than a coordination issue in my case), strumming just seemed to come far more naturally to me.  Over time, I've taught myself a few (and I really mean a few) songs I really like that are picking songs ("Dust In The Wind" leaps to mind); and through the miracle of tablature and repetitious practice can produce fairly decent renditions of the songs.  But the general art of picking a guitar largely escapes my comprehension.  Once I knew the chord progression, I pulled out my 12-string and recognizably strummed "Hotel California" pretty-much the first time through; but I still can't play the song by the proper method of picking a 12-string (or any guitar, for that matter) -- even if you hold a gun to my head.

My advice is don't sweat it; if pickin' is your thing, then pick your guitar (but not your nose ;)).  I guess the only thing I don't understand is why your instructor insists that you learn to strum when it's become apparent you're naturally a picker, but I guess that's up to you to sort out with him.
DN: 360e, 510ce, 510e-FLTD, 810ce-LTD (Braz RW), PS10ce
GA: 414ce, 614ce-LTD, 714ce-FLTD, BR-V, BTO (Makore, 'Wild Grain' RW, Blkwood), GAce-FLTD, K24ce, PS14ce (Coco, Braz RW, "Milagro"), W14ce-LTD
GC: 812ce-LTD TF, BTO TF ('Sinker'/Walnut, Engelmann/"Milagro"), LTG #400
GO: 718e-FLTD, BTO (Taz Myrtle)
GS: Custom 516e, BTO 12's (Taz Tiger Myrtle, 'Crazy' RW), 556ce, 656ce, K66ce, PS56ce ("Milagro")
GS Mini 2012 Spring LTD (Blackwood)
T3/B: Custom (Cu & Au Sparkle)
T5: C1, C5-12, S (Aztec Gold)

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2016, 01:10:50 AM »
Like so many things that come with guitar, it is our innate desires that lead us to gravitate toward picking or strumming. It is what it is, and one should develop what feels natural to you.

That said, there eventually comes a time to break out of one's comfort zone and try other techniques. You'll know when that time is as it'll be prompted by that song you really like, an itch to try something new, or frustration from playing the same old things. Remember that Frustration can be an effective stimulus for growth ...as I remind myself that I still suck at things I want to improve on ;)

Edward