Author Topic: The One from Los Angeles  (Read 997 times)

autovon

• Just a humble guitarist looking to learn more
The One from Los Angeles
« on: June 20, 2016, 11:40:27 PM »
Hello everyone! I've been a Taylor owner for about 3 years. After searching for about 4 months for "the one," I found it in a Taylor BTO GS with cedar top and RS back/sides (and not in The Matrix:). I doubt I'll ever part with it because it feels so great to play (I'm mostly a strummer) and also matches my voice well. As soon as I strummed it, I knew it was "the one." The only way I can describe it is that it was like strumming through butter, which is weird because that doesn't seem very appealing apart from playing this guitar.

Anyone else find "the one?" I'd enjoy hearing your story.

Billy
- T5 Cocobolo (the most beautiful guitar I've ever seen... that I could afford:) **FOR SALE**
- BTO GS with cedar top, IRW b/s, and bloodwood trimmings (the most beautiful sounding guitar I've ever played)

Cindy

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
Re: The One from Los Angeles
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2016, 06:03:04 PM »
Hello and welcome, autovon! :) Yes, I found the one. I found it at a pawn shop with dried goo all over the top--it had (and still has) a top with multiple marks on it and a hole in the side (but no more goo). ;) I couldn't believe its tone. That's what really spoke to me. Having bling is nice, but if the tone of a guitar doesn't pull you in (at least for me), then I have little to no interest in it. After all, when playing a guitar, how much does the player look at the bling? When I play, I'm listening to its tone. That's what moves me when it comes to guitars.

Please pull up a chair and hang out here. We've got terrific members who love to talk Taylor.
Cindy

autovon

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2016, 01:38:04 AM »
Hey Cindy, thanks for your story and your encouragement. Good to "meet" you. And that sound you just heard was me pulling up a chair. :)
- T5 Cocobolo (the most beautiful guitar I've ever seen... that I could afford:) **FOR SALE**
- BTO GS with cedar top, IRW b/s, and bloodwood trimmings (the most beautiful sounding guitar I've ever played)

Cindy

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2016, 07:22:25 PM »
Hey Cindy, thanks for your story and your encouragement. Good to "meet" you. And that sound you just heard was me pulling up a chair. :)

Good thing you explained the sound. ;) Nice to have you here. :)

EDIT: I do have a question for you. Do you like your BTO because of how it strums (as in its action)? Guitars can be set up to a player's preference.

« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 09:44:01 PM by Cindy »
Cindy

autovon

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2016, 01:35:40 AM »
Thanks, Cindy.

Good question about what I like about it, and I'll try to explain with more detail. For me it was the overall initial feel and visual experience of the guitar (I mean, it is really pretty). I think the overall experience was a factor along with the surprise that I liked a Taylor (up until that point I had played a few and wasn't impressed in the least). Also, I had been looking for several months and was kind of tired of looking. And then there was the intangible feel of that first strum and the matching to my voice that I'm not sure I can explain beyond that. So I get guitars can be set up to a player's preference, and I have done that with a few of my other guitars, but it seems the BTO retains a specialness I just have not been able to find in any other guitar.

Kind of like how I found my wife, especially that last part!  :)

Does that help? Clear as mud?

~billy

Cindy

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2016, 08:03:31 PM »
Thanks, Cindy.

Good question about what I like about it, and I'll try to explain with more detail. For me it was the overall initial feel and visual experience of the guitar (I mean, it is really pretty). I think the overall experience was a factor along with the surprise that I liked a Taylor (up until that point I had played a few and wasn't impressed in the least). Also, I had been looking for several months and was kind of tired of looking. And then there was the intangible feel of that first strum and the matching to my voice that I'm not sure I can explain beyond that. So I get guitars can be set up to a player's preference, and I have done that with a few of my other guitars, but it seems the BTO retains a specialness I just have not been able to find in any other guitar.

Kind of like how I found my wife, especially that last part!  :)

Does that help? Clear as mud?

~billy

Glad you found one that spoke to you. When I first looked at Taylor Guitars, I imagined the 5xx series with spruce and mahogany would be my preference, but after hearing the tone of one, it wasn't what I had expected. So I tried out other models. I liked the 614ce and wound up buying a custom (with an Engelmann Spruce top) and eventually got a custom 914ce with Engelmann, too. But what really drew me in were the 3xx and 4xx series.

It's too bad that Taylor switched from using ovangkol on the 4xx series, but I understand the wood isn't as easy to get as it used to be. My preference is ovangkol instead of rosewood as I like hearing the midrange more than what rosewood offers. But hey...how we perceive the looks or tone of guitars is subjective. What appeals to me may not be as attractive to others in the same way. So it is terrific Taylor offers us so many choices! ;D

Take care and enjoy your beloved guitar! :)
Cindy

autovon

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2016, 02:13:46 AM »
Agreed on the choices Taylor offers... it's a wonderful problem to have by having a hard time choosing between models!

~billy