Author Topic: Pick guard needed?  (Read 2466 times)

dangrunloh

Pick guard needed?
« on: March 22, 2012, 05:39:49 PM »
I'm really thankful that my Taylor 414ce came with a pick guard. I have read where Bob Taylor said that pick guards aren't really needed and they are mostly for appearance.  That may be true for fingerpickers but apparently not for me.  I am an enthusiastic strummer and I have long fingers. I have never learned to curl them under my palm but play with them extended.  I have been playing my 414 for 4 months about 1-2 hours per day and can see signs of light scratching just beyond the pick guard in two places.  I love playing the guitar and don't intend to alter my style.  It's not the pick but the nails on my long fingers that are doing it.  Glad I have a pick guard.

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
Re: Pick guard needed?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2012, 05:48:51 PM »
I know how you feel, I play with a pick and see marks beyond the edge of some of my guitars.
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.

jjrpilot-admin

• UTGF Owner
  • Administrator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2012, 06:22:28 PM »
My GS line didn't come standard with pick guards but I bought a clear "peel and stick" guard and it works great!

I put it on while strumming but then I take it off for just lounging around the house.
Col 1:15 "that in everything He might be preeminent."
2016 324 (Mahogany top/Tasmanian Blackwood b&s)
2017 Gibson J-45 Standard

sachi

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2012, 06:24:31 PM »
I use the peel - n - stick guard too. Works very well and is invisible, so I just leave it in place.
Sachi

Kolaya Carmen, Trek parlor, Martin 000-28EC, Taylor GC-5 and 355.

jjrpilot-admin

• UTGF Owner
  • Administrator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2012, 01:27:10 AM »
I use the peel - n - stick guard too. Works very well and is invisible, so I just leave it in place.

I've heard that Taylor recommends that you take it off after use...?

That's what I've done thus far... ::)
Col 1:15 "that in everything He might be preeminent."
2016 324 (Mahogany top/Tasmanian Blackwood b&s)
2017 Gibson J-45 Standard

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2012, 08:46:34 AM »
I'm looking for a peel-n-stick, clear pick guard for another instrument (non-Taylor, sorry), but in the little bit of checking I've done, that material only works on glossy finishes.  My instrument has a satin finish. Also, I'd like to get a sheet of it, because I'll have to shape my own.  Does anyone know about a clear material that can be used on satin finishes? 

Just my $.02 (to put my post back on subject), I do mostly fingerpicking, but still like the looks of a pickguard.  I know it's strictly personal preference.  To me, it makes my guitar scream "Taylor".  I'm proud of that.
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+
Pono Guileles: Mango Baritone Deluxe ○ Mahogany Baritone

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2012, 01:06:07 PM »
Just my $.02 (to put my post back on subject), I do mostly fingerpicking, but still like the looks of a pickguard.  I know it's strictly personal preference.  To me, it makes my guitar scream "Taylor".  I'm proud of that.
I'm with you on that.  Although I am not much on fingerstyle playing, I just like the way my taylors look with a pick guard.
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.