Author Topic: 3/4 Necks on gs-mini, Again  (Read 2272 times)

Kaplum

• If you say "Believe me", I won't.
3/4 Necks on gs-mini, Again
« on: October 22, 2016, 07:00:23 PM »
I know people have been asking for this for years, and Taylor ain't having it. But I'm going to make my case any way...

Let's remake the marketing image of the mini. It IS the Taylor parlor guitar. It's a well made, versatile instrument worthy of stage use that is also a good fit for those with smaller stature, makes a great couch guitar, and is a wonderful travel companion. All for a pocketbook friendly price. Push the line up a bit.

Start by loosing the lexan laminate on the head. Why not go with the same look as is used on the 100 series?

Offer a 1 3/4 nut width neck as a field install option. Possibly make that neck the default on Mahogany tops for finger pickers.

Let's see a cedar top model.

Finally, my wish list topper. A Mahogany on Blackwood SEB with that 3/4 neck. I might break my hand getting my card out....

Am I alone?

322e SEB
T5c
110e, mini Mah, mini RW, BT1, BT2
'71 Ventura V2 (my first)

Paul60

Re: 3/4 Necks on gs-mini, Again
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2016, 07:58:25 PM »
No, you are not alone.

You make some great suggestions.

The head stock is the first thing I'd like upgraded. At least to the finish of the 100 series.

I just bought a truss rod cover for my koa GS Mini and it looks nice but stands out like a sore thumb against the plastic looking (lexan ?) headstock.

A 1" 3/4 nut width would be good too.

Kaplum

• If you say "Believe me", I won't.
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2016, 09:44:22 PM »
Paul, I have the same pattern truss rod covers on all my guitars that have one (that silly Breedlove parlor doesn't have one), kinda marks them as mine...
I get mine from WEC Inlay up in Canada, the guy does a stellar job every time. (Guess I should have checked to see if the plug is permitted)
322e SEB
T5c
110e, mini Mah, mini RW, BT1, BT2
'71 Ventura V2 (my first)

Paul60

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2016, 04:47:01 AM »
If I still had my shed and all my woodworking gear setup, I'd have a crack at making a few myself (as one of the guys on here has done).

They do look nicer than the plastic one.

Pearlie

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2016, 10:32:58 AM »
I will add wholeheartedly to the 1-3/4 nut request.  I had a GS Mini hog that I loved the sound of but couldn't get past the tight string spacing.  If I could have the 1-3/4 nut I would buy another one and keep it.  I really regretted having to part with the Mini because of the nut size because it sounded so great, but I needed to get something I could play comfortably without fighting it all the time.

HAPPYDAN

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2016, 12:23:15 PM »
Taylor has experimented with various wood combinations and even added electronics in recent years. These new suggestions are interesting. I wouldn't at all be surprised if we soon see some of them. As already noted, it's a great little guitar.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 12:29:24 PM by HAPPYDAN »

beachbum205

• <><
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2016, 12:33:04 PM »
Of all the changes suggested, the cedar top would appeal most to me. However, I like where this guitar is price-point wise. I wouldn't want to see a bunch of changes that would significantly raise the price.
8) Beachbum
Taylor 510e
Taylor 110ce
Martin D-35

<>< Psalm 33.3

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2016, 02:04:25 PM »
I wouldn't want to see a bunch of changes that would significantly raise the price.
I think this is Taylor's take on it too. I think its appeal is the quality, playability, and sound at a very affordable price.

That said, I can see where the 1 3/4" nut would be a must/plus for a lot of folks (I'm fine with the 1 11/16"). I think a cedar top would be a nice limited-mini to offer, since they like to do limiteds with these mini's.

Maybe some day Taylor will re-introduce its parlor guitar that has all the bells and whistles. They tried it once, who knows.
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+
Pono Guileles: Mango Baritone Deluxe ○ Mahogany Baritone

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

Stringband Eric

• My website
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2016, 10:01:44 AM »
1 3/4" nut might have made the difference in my purchase of a Martin Dreadnought Jr. over the GS Mini.  The GSM is a nice guitar, but it was so much easier for me to play the Martin that my wife felt it wasn't even a contest.  And this was testing the guitars as a flatpicker. 

Really do feel that short scale guitars are helped by wider fingerboards.  But that's just my opinion.
Eric P.
2018 Taylor GS Mini Koa
1997 Taylor 420-R
2013 Gibson J-35