Author Topic: Fret wear after a month of playing?  (Read 1427 times)

xriddler

Fret wear after a month of playing?
« on: February 20, 2018, 10:14:31 PM »
Sooooo I bought a 512ce 2015 model about a month ago. I do play it daily sometimes an hour a day up to two or three. I do see some wear already at my 7th fret and 8th fret of the b string. Is it normal that frets start to wear out that fast? Is the fret wire from Taylor just softer than other brands? My nearest service center is an hour away so I'm kinda worried I have to make a trip up there in a few months time.

Frettingflyer

• Veteran Member
Re: Fret wear after a month of playing?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2018, 07:43:05 AM »
That seems extreme. Was it maybe played “in” at the dealer? I am sure Taylor will warranty it but that does seem odd.
Dave
2014 Koa GS Mini-e FLTD (for the wife)
2004 314ce,
2014 custom GC Coco/Euro spruce
2015 Wildwood 812ce 12 fret
2016 522ce 12 fret
2019 K24ce BE
2021 322e
2017 Blackbird Lucky 13
2019 Mcpherson Sable

xriddler

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2018, 08:25:19 AM »
It's the place I practice one of my songs alot though. Capo'd at 6thfret for hoziers - cherry wine. But it does put this question in my mind is Taylor using substandard fret wire? It's not alot of wear but for a month old guitar it's still odd. And I didn't notice any wear at the store from inspection. I spent hours with it.

Marco Polo

• Veteran Member
  • James 1:22-25
    • Buick Factory GS Stage1 Registry
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2018, 09:36:53 PM »
Here's an interesting  discussion:

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=501070

If you play them, they show wear...I have to admit I am intrigued by stainless steel frets and may choose that route when the time comes.
Marco
1975 Gibson L6 midnight special
DI - PS56ce
Rosie   - GAce Fall-LTD
Bonnie   - 254ce DLX

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2018, 12:27:05 PM »
Play wear is play wear ...normal!

I seriously doubt that Taylor makes their own fretwire ...they, like every other maker, buys from the usual suspects like Dunlop, Jescar, et.al..  This is kind of like there are only a handful of major manufacturers of batteries in the world and everyone else licenses their own product spec, then brands them. 

If you play a lot, you will wear frets; even more so if your style is "tougher" on frets.  FWIW, I have lots of wear on Fender/Gibson electrics, and yes my Taylors, natch!  Like mileage on tires, it's all about how much you drive as well as "how" you drive.  Enjoy the drive!  :)

Edward