Author Topic: Hello from Wisconsin  (Read 837 times)

RileyKendall

Hello from Wisconsin
« on: February 17, 2018, 09:13:52 AM »
Back in December, I talked my self into learning to play guitar.  So, I went out and purchased a Taylor Academy Series 12e.  Things were going OK.

Next I find myself in Guitar Center again.  While in there, they were having free intro to guitar class and it was just starting as I was walking in.  So I attended. 

I needed a guitar to play.  My 12e was at home.  I wanted to see what the 10e was like.  I liked how the 10e felt while I was playing it.  It didn't move around as much as the 12e.  Its wider and deeper.  So, I go home.  Get the 12e.  Exchange it for a 10e. 

Now, practicing at home with the 10e, I discovered some issues with it that I didn't notice in the store.  Took it back and exchanged it for the one I played in the free class.  It was much better, but I discovered some issues with it as well.  Took it back.  Guitar Center offered to set it up and bring it to Taylor's specifications because it obviously was not. 

It could take up to two weeks for them to complete the work.

So, I didn't want to not practice.  I purchased an all Koa 224ce Deluxe.  In my mind, the money for these was not an issue because I spend these amounts on new technology (laptops, phones, Apple Watch, iPads, AirPods, etc).

2 weeks later, I get the 10e back.  All is good.  Put the 224ce in its case and continue to practice on the 10e.   

Open up the case to the 224ce and discovered it had about a half inch crack on the front of the guitar toward the bottom.  Still in my 45 day return window.  Took it back. 

I kinda prefer the more interesting appearing guitars more so than the plane spruce tops most have.  So, upgraded the 224ce to a 324ce.  This guitar had a mahogany top with Tasmanian Blackwood back and sides with a satin finish.  Beautiful guitar. However, due to the mahogany top, it wasn't as loud.  Almost hard to hear without using a pick.    But the guitar was flawless and was planning on keeping it.

However, Wisconsin winters are bad for acoustic guitars so its best to keep them in their cases with humidifiers.  Learning these things along the way. 

You gotta do whats right.  So, if I have to baby this thing, I am not going to do double duty. 

Was poking around Guitar Center's website and found a Custom 414ce.  This is with an Engelmann spruce top and East Indian rosewood back and sides.

Took a drive out and inspected and played this guitar.  It was awesome.  Sounds louder.  Like the sound of it better than either the 10e or 324ce.    Even though it has a spruce top, its not plain looking due to the sunburst.

It was not much more than the 324ce, so I jumped on it and went back and returned both the 10e and the 324ce and got the Custom 414ce.

So, now I am down to just the 414ce and its going to stay that way for quite awhile now. 

This must have been meant to be because the original Taylor strap I originally ordered matches this guitars color scheme perfectly.

I will post pictures of the guitar in the picture thread. 

Jeff
2018 Taylor 916ce
2018 Taylor 224ce DLX Koa Special Edition
2016 Taylor Wildwood Custom GA 414ce (Engelmann Spruce/Flamed Maple)
2018 RainSong H-WS1000N2

zeebow

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
Re: Hello from Wisconsin
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2018, 11:11:05 AM »
wow! what an adventure! congrats!
1995 912C - englemann/eir
2009 xxxv-p - sitka/madagascar
2010 414ce - sitka/ovangkol (made on my wedding day!)
2011 914ce - cedar/eir
2014 martin 000-28 custom - adi/cocobolo
2017 BTO GC 12 fret - lutz/cocobolo
2019 BTO GC 12 fret - cedar/cocobolo
2019 sheeran w03 - cedar/santos rosewood
2019 lowden s35 12 fret - driftwood cedar/cocobolo
2020 lowden s35 12 fret alpine spruce/madagascar
2023 lowden wee wl-35 12 fret - driftwood cedar/madagascar
2023 martin 00-28 modern deluxe - sitka/eir

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2018, 11:16:59 AM »
Welcome Jeff! At the rate you're going through guitars, you'll be into a 900 series before too long.  ;)
The 400 series is highly respected around here, so I think you've settled into a nice one. Those that you tried along the way are wonderful too, when set up properly by a respected and knowledgable dealer.
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+
Pono Guileles: Mango Baritone Deluxe ○ Mahogany Baritone

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2018, 08:11:56 AM »
Welcome to the forum Jeff.  Five guitars in three months, WOW.  The 214 problem was a shock.  In the end, you have a very nice Taylor in that 414ce, so congratulations. 
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.

Frettingflyer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2018, 11:36:49 AM »
Welcome Jeff,
Congrats on condensing a journey many of us took a long time on! I would suggest you make sure to read up on proper humidifaction. I have the Taylorsense for my Taylor’s that it works on but there is also a non Taylor monitoring product and either will work with that “iphone” tech you have spent on in the past to help keep you informed before a crack can start.
414 is a great instrument. Enjoy the journey.
Dave
2014 Koa GS Mini-e FLTD (for the wife)
2004 314ce,
2014 custom GC Coco/Euro spruce
2015 Wildwood 812ce 12 fret
2016 522ce 12 fret
2019 K24ce BE
2021 322e
2017 Blackbird Lucky 13
2019 Mcpherson Sable