Author Topic: Replacing the 5-way switch on older SB-1  (Read 707 times)

Junkman510

Replacing the 5-way switch on older SB-1
« on: February 12, 2018, 11:47:25 AM »
I will be posting my solution to replacing the original problematic switch on the older SB-1 without having to drill mounting holes for the switch and using the existing circuit board.... if anyone is interested.
I used the Megaswitch-P from StewMac.

On this guitar, the 5-way switch was part of the circuit board. I removed the switch mechanics and used an adhesive foam strip to attache the circuit board to the Megaswitch. The circuit board is the passive guitar circuit capacitors and resistors. It also has a fuse that attaches to the ground wire from the bridge... first time I have see that. You can see the fuse at the top of the board. Awesome protection from a deadly shock. Also the switch mounts to a metal plate that is glued to the body of the guitar. I had to cut down the screws to mount the switch from the inside. Otherwise, you have to drill two holes in the top of the guitar to mount the switch.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 04:12:49 PM by Junkman510 »

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
Re: Replacing the 5-way switch on older SB-1
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2018, 08:35:11 PM »
Good on you for posting your mod! 

It's no secret that several Gibson electrics of late have gone the PCB method for electronics and it is a seriously bad move for the simplest reason: pots and switches wear/break (or you may simply want a different pot), so replacement becomes ridiculously more difficult!  Were the pots and switch simply wired together, replacement would be both cheap and easy.  I never knew Taylor used the PCB method ...too bad!  But thanks for sharing your fix!

Edward