Author Topic: Hello from sunny California  (Read 968 times)

MelissaM

Hello from sunny California
« on: February 12, 2018, 11:45:06 AM »
Hi!

I started playing guitar 6 months ago. I borrowed a friend’s guitar while I figured out if I’d stick with it, which took all of about 2 strums! I bought a nice used electric guitar from my local music shop, which I absolutely love l, but I have been drawn to acoustic guitars too.

A couple of weeks ago I went to the same local music shop after my lesson and tried their wide selection of acoustic guitars. I really liked the Yamaha FS800 they had — it was comfortable to play, sounded nice, and was a decent price. I kept going back to it, but I had no intention of buying that day.

Then I went to their used rack, and they had a Taylor 114. It was love at first strum! Easy to play, sounded divine, in mint condition, and priced right.  What’s not to like? The Yamaha was nice, but there was just something about the Taylor! I did my acid test: if someone else were to buy this, how would I feel? Well, the answer was very, very bummed. So I chatted with the salesman for a bit, all the while quietly trying different chords, fingerpicking, etc. in my limited repertoire, and finally told him, “I think I have to buy this!”

I haven’t regretted my decision for a second!

I will say that while it was easier to play than a lot of the acoustics I tried, it’s still harder than my electric. For example, with the F chord, if I get my index finger anywhere near the first fret, the chord rings out — it’s like I’m cheating. On the Taylor I have to work a bit harder. I think in the end it’ll help me be a better player.

I thought I’d built up enough calluses from playing my electric, but I find my fingers are back to being very sore. Sometimes they get so sore I can’t hold down chords, so I’ll grab my electric so I can keep practicing.

All in all, I’m very happy to join the Taylor family!

-Melissa

Coyoteone

Re: Hello from sunny California
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2018, 12:12:47 PM »
Welcome from Alabama , great people on here.

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2018, 01:52:57 PM »
Welcome, Melissa, and congrats on your new 114. What a great find, you won't regret. And, so glad to see another lady here.  :D ;)
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+
Pono Guileles: Mango Baritone Deluxe ○ Mahogany Baritone

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2018, 02:06:16 PM »
Congratulations Melissa.  I am certain you will love your new Taylor.  My first Taylor was a 110, so I know how you feel about it.  I have been a Taylor fan ever since.
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.

SoCalSurf

• Veteran Member
  • Don't have what you want; want what you have.
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2018, 04:40:50 PM »
Welcome from a fellow Californian! This forum is the nicest and most helpful place for all things Taylor. Enjoy!
Taylor: GS Mini (koa), 517e, K24ce
Gibson: Hummingbird, SJ-200, SJ-200 12-string, SJ-200 parlor, Woody Guthrie J45 Southern Jumbo
Martin: 0000 Custom Ziricote
Preston Thompson O-Koa

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2018, 05:25:42 PM »
Welcome Melissa-

That 114 will take you very far in your guitar journey - enjoy the trip and your stay with us!
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood

Soof

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2018, 10:16:27 PM »
Hey Melissa,  Welcome aboard and congrats on a great find.  The 100 series is a great guitar.  I have a 110e and just love it.

And like you, my experience with the electric/acoustic guitar on the fingers is the same.  After returning to the guitar after 25 yrs sabbatical I bought a Fender Tele and played that for many months before buying my Taylor.  I found that playing the Taylor has built up my callouses much more than the Fender.  It's Soo much easier playing an electric but I stuck with it and endured the pain !!! Ouch !!!

So, in the end, my ability to play an F chord is much easier since the fingertips and muscles have been conditioned.

Enjoy your guitars !
Martin D-20 12 string (1970)
Yamaha APX500III
Taylor 110e Prototype (2016)
Fender Squier Vintage Modified 70s Tele
Reville MV-XM (actually a very nice Gibson copy!)
Donner Strat (copy)

MelissaM

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2018, 02:45:27 AM »
Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone!

Everything I’ve read on the internet confirms that I made a great choice getting the 114, and I’ve certainly been enjoying playing it.

Of course reading guitar forums gets me curious about how the other guitars will sound. And some of your guitars are absolutely gorgeous!

But for now, I’m going to do my best to get better at playing the two awesome guitars I have right now. Probably best to avoid guitar stores for the time being!

Toneraider

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2018, 09:00:09 AM »
Welcome aboard, Melissa! I'm brand new the forum.  Congrats on the 114 too.  No question this is an awesome guitar.  Look like you've got the electric and the acoustic covered.  Now play! What resources are you using to learn to play? ...and, for that eletric guitar, with all the pedals and amps, etc. that go along with it what are you using to guide you thru the education process of knowing more about pickups, pedals, amps, etc.?  Just curious as I am always looking for new methods to learn about "tone" and "playing". (Maybe I should ask this of the entire community?)