Author Topic: Just played a V-braced K24 -- UPDATED  (Read 6669 times)

Bohacker

Re: Just played a V-braced K24 -- UPDATED
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2018, 10:10:19 AM »

Bohacker,

Please keep in mind that I was very careful to say that I found the particular K14 I played to be flawed.  That statement isn't meant to be an indictment of all K14s.  I'm pretty sure the one I played is simply an aberration, and could possibly be fixed with a proper setup.  In fact, it sounded wonderful when played near the nut.  I'd hate to think that my criticism of the one I played would do anything to discourage you from getting your dream guitar.

I thought about that and it's a fair point.  Of course spending $xK for a guitar I would expect absolute top quality inspection before shipment so it's still concerning.  The right answer is to exercise a little patience and wait until the new models are available locally so I can play, compare and decide on not just a model but a specific instrument.

$ per forum rules

« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 07:47:46 AM by zeebow »
Taylor   K14ce,810,T5 Classic    Fender  Strat, Tele
Gibson  LP(2), SG(2)                Gretsch G6659TG
Martin   DC-16GTE                   PRS      Custom 24

tedtan

« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2018, 11:18:49 AM »
While I still love my 814ce, I've played my Goodall RGCC up against some pretty stiff competition (Olson, Petros, Dudenbostle, pre war Martins and Gibsons, etc., etc.) and my Goodall always "wins" for what I'm looking for in my primary guitar.

So Dennis, the $64K question from me is will you be replacing your Goodall with a similarly configured Taylor with the new V bracing? How do the two compare?

Bohacker

« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2018, 07:00:37 PM »
So I searched a wide area around where I live and was lucky to find a shop that was hosting a Taylor demo event for their new offerings including all three of the v-class models today.  I won't go into any depth on each of them as I think DennisG covered that already better than I ever could but I will say that the 2 K14ce Builder's Editions they had did not have any noticeable issue with intonation anywhere on the neck.  They both sounded fantastic.

Still disturbing that such a high end offering could exhibit such problems with intonation but it is certainly possible that happened after leaving the factory.  Anyway, nice to know it is not a systemic issue with the K14ce.

DennisG

• Veteran Member
  • Veni Vidi Velcro: I came, I saw, I stuck around
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2018, 02:20:43 AM »
While I still love my 814ce, I've played my Goodall RGCC up against some pretty stiff competition (Olson, Petros, Dudenbostle, pre war Martins and Gibsons, etc., etc.) and my Goodall always "wins" for what I'm looking for in my primary guitar.

So Dennis, the $64K question from me is will you be replacing your Goodall with a similarly configured Taylor with the new V bracing? How do the two compare?

Already done.  The first Goodall (sitka over flamed bubinga) -- probably the greatest guitar I've ever played -- I sold to my music partner, simply because she lusted for it.  Biggest mistake I've ever made since I've been buying and selling guitars.  But she's happy with it, and I play it whenever we rehearse at her house.  After that, I bought another Goodall (engelmann over rosewood).  Wonderful guitar, but I missed the feel of Taylor necks, so I bought an 814 DLX and sold the second Goodall to a friend visiting from Amsterdam.  She's happy.  I'm happy.  But I'd like a second guitar, and I do find myself deep in lust for the new V-braced K24.  So, who knows!
-------------------------------------
'21 Goodall GC - master redwood/Macassar ebony
'18 Taylor K14-BE
'18 Taylor 114e
'21 Taylor GT Urban Ash
'15 Martin uke

timfitz63

• Veteran Member
  • Getting better one strum at a time...
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2018, 08:40:26 AM »
... The 914 was just wonderful, with that rosewood growl we've become accustomed to, plus the type of improved balance since Andy revoiced the 900 series.  I wasn't able to do an a/b test with a pre-V 914, so I compared the new one to an 814, which feels like a fair comparison.  As far as intonation up the neck is concerned, the V-braced model wins the comparison hands down.  I played single notes up the neck and capo'd, and in both cases the V-braced 914 was spot on, whereas the 814 seemed to get more out of tune (particularly the G and B strings) the higher I got up the neck.  (Keep in mind, the degree to which a non-V-braced guitar has intonation issues may be unnoticeable to some people and downright offensive to others.)  Personally, I'm constantly fiddling with tuning whenever I capo my 814 DLX, so the new V-braced guitars are something of a revelation (with one exception:  see comments below on the K14).  As far as sustain goes, I noticed no difference between the two guitars...

I was able to A-B a "V-braced" 914 against an outgoing 914ce-SB today, although I did not take the opportunity to capo either guitar.  Still, I would agree with Dennis on the results.  Again, I would describe the "V-braced" guitar as more 'lively' overall.  One of the musical pieces I've been using for comparisons between the outgoing and "V-braced" guitars is the opening riff from "End Of The Line" by the Traveling Wilburys; you wind up playing chords all the way up to the 14th fret.  On the "V-braced" 914, the "D" on the 14th fret just seemed to ring out as nicely as it did on the 2nd fret; whereas on the 914ce-SB it seemed muted or dull by comparison.

I have to admit that I'm duly impressed by the "V-braced" guitars.  At least they seem to be delivering on the promises that Taylor has made about them.
DN: 360e, 510ce, 510e-FLTD, 810ce-LTD (Braz RW), PS10ce
GA: 414ce, 614ce-LTD, 714ce-FLTD, BR-V, BTO (Makore, 'Wild Grain' RW, Blkwood), GAce-FLTD, K24ce, PS14ce (Coco, Braz RW, "Milagro"), W14ce-LTD
GC: 812ce-LTD TF, BTO TF ('Sinker'/Walnut, Engelmann/"Milagro"), LTG #400
GO: 718e-FLTD, BTO (Taz Myrtle)
GS: Custom 516e, BTO 12's (Taz Tiger Myrtle, 'Crazy' RW), 556ce, 656ce, K66ce, PS56ce ("Milagro")
GS Mini 2012 Spring LTD (Blackwood)
T3/B: Custom (Cu & Au Sparkle)
T5: C1, C5-12, S (Aztec Gold)

Craig

• Veteran Member
  • More guitars than talent but working on it.
    • UTGF Members Map.
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2018, 08:23:06 AM »
I just wandered into my local shop at lunchtime and the Taylor rep was showing the staff around a new V braced K24ce.

I did have a play and liked it very much but I doubt I'd trade my K24ce for a new one. The new nut looks interesting though.

Craig
1978 Music Man Sabre II
1980's Charvel Model 6
2014 816ce First Edition
2014 714ce FLTD Sassafras
2014 K24ce with AA top and Gotoh 510 tuners
2016 GS Mini e Koa
2015 Custom GS Mun Ebony and Engelmann Spruce
2017 Avalon A2-20c
And an Eastman Mandolin!

Visit the UTGF Members Map
http://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=1258011

tedtan

« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2018, 10:16:44 AM »
Already done.  The first Goodall (sitka over flamed bubinga) -- probably the greatest guitar I've ever played -- I sold to my music partner, simply because she lusted for it.  Biggest mistake I've ever made since I've been buying and selling guitars.  But she's happy with it, and I play it whenever we rehearse at her house.  After that, I bought another Goodall (engelmann over rosewood).  Wonderful guitar, but I missed the feel of Taylor necks, so I bought an 814 DLX and sold the second Goodall to a friend visiting from Amsterdam.  She's happy.  I'm happy.  But I'd like a second guitar, and I do find myself deep in lust for the new V-braced K24.  So, who knows!

Thanks, Dennis.

Glad to hear it worked out for you, though sorry to hear how it transpired.

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2018, 12:24:51 AM »
DennisG:
But I'd like a second guitar, and I do find myself deep in lust for the new V-braced K24.  So, who knows!

I feel your pain errr... I mean I feel you longing for a new K24.  I have wanted one for a couple of years now.  With the new V-bracing how could I go wrong?   
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2018, 02:00:32 PM »
But overall, I felt the K24 was extremely balanced and delivered satisfying bass, supple mids, and typically bright koa highs.  While the bottom end isn't as meaty as my 814 DLX, why on earth should it be?! 

Funny- that description is almost exactly how I would characterize my 2014 K24e. I love that guitar - it pleasantly surprises me every time I play it. Hard to imagine the V bracing improving on what mine already features. But then, each individual guitar would have to be judged on its own merits. Still I'm intrigued - would like to play a spruce mahogany GA with V bracing (whenever Taylor offers it), because that's my baseline tone for guitars.
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood

Craig

• Veteran Member
  • More guitars than talent but working on it.
    • UTGF Members Map.
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2018, 05:48:55 PM »
Just a thought - Is it easier to get a pick out of a V braced guitar?  ;D

Craig
1978 Music Man Sabre II
1980's Charvel Model 6
2014 816ce First Edition
2014 714ce FLTD Sassafras
2014 K24ce with AA top and Gotoh 510 tuners
2016 GS Mini e Koa
2015 Custom GS Mun Ebony and Engelmann Spruce
2017 Avalon A2-20c
And an Eastman Mandolin!

Visit the UTGF Members Map
http://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=1258011

jpmist

• Soundcloud
Re: Just played a V-braced K24 -- Marietta, GA Taylor roadshow
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2018, 09:42:46 PM »
Just got back from the Marietta, GA Taylor roadshow, so I'll offer a few notes on the 900 and K series V braced guitars that I tried out.

I was skeptical about the intonation claim, thought maybe it would be too arcane for my ears, but it's really true. I have a riff I play with open strings up on the 5th and 7th fret, going up to 12 and every note was dead on. I was really impressed with that.

Can't comment on sustain, cause we're in a room with high ceilings with 14 other guys mashing away at the other acoustics, but I did get to go into a quiet room and my little riff has never sounded so sweet.

After I got home, I played the same riff on my 322 and ya know what? My 322 notes are in tune as well, but what was different about the V braced notes I think it has to do with that the V-bracing design results in fewer frequencies clashing and zeroing other frequencies out. It's not so much that the 322 notes are out of tune and the V-braced notes are in tune, it's that there are more varied frequencies coming from the 322 that aren't blending on the precise note. The V-braced notes seem purer and more focused, which is why I suppose the notes ring longer. So it seems after 200 years of X-bracing, Taylor has reinvented how a guitar top should work. Amazing.

A bit of trivia is that all the V-braced guitars have graphite nuts, so you'll be able to spot them in the store. One guy I asked said there are no current plans to put V-bracing in the GC body, that decision would depend on how well it was received on the GAs.

I was pleasantly surprised I could hear a difference, cause my hearing really does suck. If they ever do get around to making a V-braced GC 12 fret, I'm definitely buying.

Taylor 322CE, Larrivee OO-05, Larrivee OOV-03, Strats
https://soundcloud.com/jpmist/got-cover

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
Re: Just played a V-braced K24 -- Marietta, GA Taylor roadshow
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2018, 09:49:20 PM »
Just got back from the Marietta, GA Taylor roadshow, so I'll offer a few notes on the 900 and K series V braced guitars that I tried out.

I was skeptical about the intonation claim, thought maybe it would be too arcane for my ears, but it's really true. I have a riff I play with open strings up on the 5th and 7th fret, going up to 12 and every note was dead on. I was really impressed with that.

Can't comment on sustain, cause we're in a room with high ceilings with 14 other guys mashing away at the other acoustics, but I did get to go into a quiet room and my little riff has never sounded so sweet.

After I got home, I played the same riff on my 322 and ya know what? My 322 notes are in tune as well, but what was different about the V braced notes I think it has to do with that the V-bracing design results in fewer frequencies clashing and zeroing other frequencies out. It's not so much that the 322 notes are out of tune and the V-braced notes are in tune, it's that there are more varied frequencies coming from the 322 that aren't blending on the precise note. The V-braced notes seem purer and more focused, which is why I suppose the notes ring longer. So it seems after 200 years of X-bracing, Taylor has reinvented how a guitar top should work. Amazing.

A bit of trivia is that all the V-braced guitars have graphite nuts, so you'll be able to spot them in the store. One guy I asked said there are no current plans to put V-bracing in the GC body, that decision would depend on how well it was received on the GAs.

I was pleasantly surprised I could hear a difference, cause my hearing really does suck. If they ever do get around to making a V-braced GC 12 fret, I'm definitely buying.

Nice review jpmist.  Did you hear any talk of the V-brace being introduced in other series of GAs, down the time line.  I am hoping for the 514 series.
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.

Bohacker

« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2018, 09:53:42 PM »
I was told by the Taylor rep that all 6 string (steel) guitars 300 and above will have v bracing options by the end of the year.

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2018, 10:58:14 PM »
Good new indeed Bohacker.  I am surprised that it will go down the line as far as the 300 series though.  I imagined down to the 514s then maybe it will expand to other sizes, like the X12 and who knows X16 and X18 models could get it as well.

Bohacker

« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2018, 11:02:29 AM »
Just repeating what the Taylor rep said, not that I disagree with the thought.  He did also say that specific details on 12 strings and nylon were still being worked out so he couldn't comment on those specifically yet.  I'll be interested to see the price difference between the v and x models within a series.  Not that I need any more guitars, lol.