Author Topic: Just played a V-braced K24 -- UPDATED  (Read 6668 times)

DennisG

• Veteran Member
  • Veni Vidi Velcro: I came, I saw, I stuck around
Just played a V-braced K24 -- UPDATED
« on: February 11, 2018, 06:14:47 PM »
I was skeptical about the new bracing scheme.  Would it be the game-changer that Taylor seems to be touting ... or will all their enthusiasm fail to materialize into a technology that doesn't succeed at delivering the goods?  The answer (at least, to me) is much closer to the former.

I'll begin by saying that no guitar I've ever played has kept its tuning intact all the way up the fretboard.  Until today.  What I was most interested in testing was Taylor's claim of V-bracing providing superb intonation everywhere on the guitar.  So that was my first test.  I played a song with open chords, then capo'd up to three, then five, then seven.  Everywhere i attached the capo, the guitar was bang on in tune.  That's a claim I can't make about my Goodall that costs roughly $2500 more than the K24.

Next, I was interested in the purity of notes ... and, again, the K24 delivers.  This is a hazier test than the first one, given that I've never detected what Andy Powers refers to as "warble."  But even if it does truly exist (to one degree or another) on merely mortal guitars, it's absent on the K24.

Finally, and of lesser concern, was the effect V-bracing might have on overall tone.  And, to be honest, I felt that there was no way to test for this, short of ripping the bracing out of a V-braced guitar and then replacing it with Advanced Performance bracing.  I mean, you've got to use the same guitar to test different bracing patterns, right?  But overall, I felt the K24 was extremely balanced and delivered satisfying bass, supple mids, and typically bright koa highs.  While the bottom end isn't as meaty as my 814 DLX, why on earth should it be?!  Rosewood to koa. Apples to oranges.  I can only say that the K24 sounded good to my ears, with the kind of heft and clarity of many Andy Powers-designed guitars.

All in all, I felt that Taylor delivered on the promises, if not the enthusiasm.  The guitar seems to behave exactly the way they said it would, and for that fact alone I give them major props.  The K24 both looks and sounds beautiful, and I found myself wanting it very much as I shuffled out of the store.

In a few days, I'll get a chance to try the new K14 and 914.  Looking forward to that.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 07:01:15 PM by DennisG »
-------------------------------------
'21 Goodall GC - master redwood/Macassar ebony
'18 Taylor K14-BE
'18 Taylor 114e
'21 Taylor GT Urban Ash
'15 Martin uke

Craig

• Veteran Member
  • More guitars than talent but working on it.
    • UTGF Members Map.
Re: Just played a V-braced K24
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2018, 06:35:21 PM »
I've just signed up for a 'New Model Showcase' on 8th March so I'll get to test your opinions 😀

Craig
1978 Music Man Sabre II
1980's Charvel Model 6
2014 816ce First Edition
2014 714ce FLTD Sassafras
2014 K24ce with AA top and Gotoh 510 tuners
2016 GS Mini e Koa
2015 Custom GS Mun Ebony and Engelmann Spruce
2017 Avalon A2-20c
And an Eastman Mandolin!

Visit the UTGF Members Map
http://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=1258011

Guitarsan

• Veteran Member
  • Keep calm and play on!
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2018, 08:57:20 PM »
I'll begin by saying that no guitar I've ever played has kept its tuning intact all the way up the fretboard.  Until today.  What I was most interested in testing was Taylor's claim of V-bracing providing superb intonation everywhere on the guitar.  So that was my first test.  I played a song with open chords, then capo'd up to three, then five, then seven.  Everywhere i attached the capo, the guitar was bang on in tune.  That's a claim I can't make about my Goodall that costs roughly $2500 more than the K24.

So is this "issue" with tuning something that previously was obvious to you and bothered you? Or is it more that once you played the new K24, the difference was so obvious you "got" what they were saying about x bracing and intonation, by comparison with the V bracing?
"The guitar is the perfect drug because when you play it you're in no pain, and when you put it down, there's no hangover." Paul Reed Smith

2021 Taylor 914ce LTD Sinker Redwood/EIR
2016 Taylor GS Mini-e Flamed Koa

Guitarsan

• Veteran Member
  • Keep calm and play on!
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2018, 08:59:03 PM »
I've just signed up for a 'New Model Showcase' on 8th March so I'll get to test your opinions 😀

Craig

Just be aware that'll be a noisy environment and might not be the best way to test it from a "player's ears" perspective.
"The guitar is the perfect drug because when you play it you're in no pain, and when you put it down, there's no hangover." Paul Reed Smith

jjrpilot-admin

• UTGF Owner
  • Administrator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2018, 08:48:14 AM »
I was skeptical about the new bracing scheme.  Would it be the game-changer that Taylor seems to be touting ... or will all their enthusiasm fail to materialize into a technology that doesn't succeed at delivering the goods?  The answer (at least, to me) is much closer to the former.

Next, I was interested in the purity of notes ... and, again, the K24 delivers.  This is a hazier test than the first one, given that I've never detected what Andy Powers refers to as "warble."  But even if it does truly exist (to one degree or another) on merely mortal guitars, it's absent on the K24.

Finally, and of lesser concern, was the effect V-bracing might have on overall tone.  And, to be honest, I felt that there was no way to test for this, short of ripping the bracing out of a V-braced guitar and then replacing it with Advanced Performance bracing.  I mean, you've got to use the same guitar to test different bracing patterns, right?  But overall, I felt the K24 was extremely balanced and delivered satisfying bass, supple mids, and typically bright koa highs.  While the bottom end isn't as meaty as my 814 DLX, why on earth should it be?!  Rosewood to koa. Apples to oranges.  I can only say that the K24 sounded good to my ears, with the kind of heft and clarity of many Andy Powers-designed guitars.

All in all, I felt that Taylor delivered on the promises, if not the enthusiasm.  The guitar seems to behave exactly the way they said it would, and for that fact alone I give them major props.  The K24 both looks and sounds beautiful, and I found myself wanting it very much as I shuffled out of the store.

In a few days, I'll get a chance to try the new K14 and 914.  Looking forward to that.

Thanks for the review Dennis!  Keep us posted about the others you test!
Col 1:15 "that in everything He might be preeminent."
2016 324 (Mahogany top/Tasmanian Blackwood b&s)
2017 Gibson J-45 Standard

Taylorholic

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2018, 03:11:11 PM »
Thanks for the review but I didn't see a comment on one of their biggest claims....significantly longer sustain.  Did you notice anything in that area?

TLAW

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2018, 05:50:31 PM »
Maybe not totally pertinent to the convo ...but I achieve the same intonation results on my 914CE non V-brace with the Holy Grail of capo's....The G7th Heritage
1913 Weymann Banjolin
1996 Strat/Texas Special
2003 Martin HD28
2007 Rover F Style Mandolin
2015 Eastman VL501 Violin
2017 Lamberti Master Series Guarneri Violin
2017 Taylor 914ce Sunburst
2019 Collings CJ35 Sunburst
Several other Also Rans

DennisG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2018, 06:07:10 PM »
Thanks for the review but I didn't see a comment on one of their biggest claims....significantly longer sustain.  Did you notice anything in that area?

To be honest, I forgot about the claim of increased sustain, and didn't pay attention to it.  I was somewhat fixated on the intonation issue, which I find far more important than increased sustain.  Maybe when I check out the other guitars, I'll try to focus on sustain and do an a/b test.  Thanks for the reminder.
'18 Taylor K14-BE
'18 Taylor 114e
'21 Taylor GT Urban Ash
'15 Martin uke

DennisG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2018, 06:09:17 PM »

So is this "issue" with tuning something that previously was obvious to you and bothered you? Or is it more that once you played the new K24, the difference was so obvious you "got" what they were saying about x bracing and intonation, by comparison with the V bracing?

The former.  It's an issue that's always bothered me.  So when I heard the claim, I took notice.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 11:20:24 PM by DennisG »
'18 Taylor K14-BE
'18 Taylor 114e
'21 Taylor GT Urban Ash
'15 Martin uke

Guitarsan

• Veteran Member
  • Keep calm and play on!
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2018, 10:43:05 PM »

The former.  It's an issue that's always bothered me.  So when I heard the claim, I took took notice.

Cool, thanks for the answer. Maybe I don't play enough up the fretboard to notice and I don't use a capo much - just have never had an issue with that. I'm curious to play one to see if I feel like I suggested: "oh, ok, I get it now". We'll see.

timfitz63

• Veteran Member
  • Getting better one strum at a time...
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2018, 08:32:21 AM »
I was able to sample a new "V-braced" K24ce last night at Empire Music; in fact, I was able to A-B it against the outgoing version, and the sonic difference was readily apparent.

I'd have to say there wasn't any tonal difference, per se, that I heard between the two guitars; that is to say that both guitars still sounded like all-Koa guitars (I mention this to contrast "V-bracing" with the bracing changes that were made to the Maple 600's to give them their "Rosehogany" tonal quality).  But the "V-braced" K24 sounded more 'lively' (which, perhaps, can give the impression of increased brightness); and definitely had better intonation when playing higher on the neck.  I'm not very good at tuning by ear; in fact, I'm pretty bad at it.  But chords played at the higher fret positions on the new K24 did sound better to me.

So I'd have to say that Taylor delivered as promised in this case.  Not sure I'd personally have interpreted the changes as being as revolutionary as Taylor is claiming, but I'm far from an expert on the history of guitar bracing/intonation and the inherent short-comings that stem from the solutions.  I will say that I personally liked the older K-Series aesthetics a bit better; the new fretboard and headstock inlays looked more simple/plain than the older version.  But the Maple binding is a nicer contrast than the older, dark-colored binding -- which was generally lost in the standard edgeburst shading.

Now the $64,000 (or, more accurately, $4,500) questions:  would I dump my 2013 K24ce in favor of a new "V-braced" one?  No.  Would I buy a new "V-braced" Taylor over an outgoing model?  Depends...

In the case of the K24, I'd probably choose the "V-braced" version.  But I also A-B'd a prototype PS14ce with "Milagro" Brazilian Rosewood and AP bracing that Empire has against a suitable "contrast" guitar that Empire received out of the Taylor dealer "auction" at Winter NAMM:  a Custom GA with "Milagro," AP bracing, and "V-bracing."  Effectively the only difference between the two guitars was the top wood (Sitka vs. Adirondack) and its bracing ("X" vs. "V").  I kind-of preferred the PS14ce over the Custom GA; but I also tend to prefer Sitka over Adirondack too, so it's just possible that that's what's driving my ear...  And also kind-of illustrates my point about the "V-bracing" not really affecting overall tone -- just being more of an enhancement...
DN: 360e, 510ce, 510e-FLTD, 810ce-LTD (Braz RW), PS10ce
GA: 414ce, 614ce-LTD, 714ce-FLTD, BR-V, BTO (Makore, 'Wild Grain' RW, Blkwood), GAce-FLTD, K24ce, PS14ce (Coco, Braz RW, "Milagro"), W14ce-LTD
GC: 812ce-LTD TF, BTO TF ('Sinker'/Walnut, Engelmann/"Milagro"), LTG #400
GO: 718e-FLTD, BTO (Taz Myrtle)
GS: Custom 516e, BTO 12's (Taz Tiger Myrtle, 'Crazy' RW), 556ce, 656ce, K66ce, PS56ce ("Milagro")
GS Mini 2012 Spring LTD (Blackwood)
T3/B: Custom (Cu & Au Sparkle)
T5: C1, C5-12, S (Aztec Gold)

DennisG

• Veteran Member
Re: Just played a V-braced K24 -- UPDATED
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2018, 07:00:44 PM »
Okay, I just had a chance to play two more V-braced guitars:  the Builder's Edition K14 and the 914.  Plus I took another look at the K24.  Some thoughts:

The 914 was just wonderful, with that rosewood growl we've become accustomed to, plus the type of improved balance since Andy revoiced the 900 series.  I wasn't able to do an a/b test with a pre-V 914, so I compared the new one to an 814, which feels like a fair comparison.  As far as intonation up the neck is concerned, the V-braced model wins the comparison hands down.  I played single notes up the neck and capo'd, and in both cases the V-braced 914 was spot on, whereas the 814 seemed to get more out of tune (particularly the G and B strings) the higher I got up the neck.  (Keep in mind, the degree to which a non-V-braced guitar has intonation issues may be unnoticeable to some people and downright offensive to others.)  Personally, I'm constantly fiddling with tuning whenever I capo my 814 DLX, so the new V-braced guitars are something of a revelation (with one exception:  see comments below on the K14).  As far as sustain goes, I noticed no difference between the two guitars.

The Builder's Edition K14 (with torrefied sitka top -- note that my spell-checker insists on changing it to "terrified," which may be appropriate in this case) was an enormous disappointment.  While absolutely beautiful, with both an armrest and a finger rest, I felt that the guitar was flawed.  Not only was intonation up the neck not improved, it was terrible.   I'd have been suspicious of the capo I was using if this had been the only guitar I'd used it on, but I also used it on the K24 and the 914.  To make sure it wasn't something I was doing wrong, I took the capo off several times and readjusted the spring tension.  No love.  Every time I slapped the capo on, the guitar went out of tune.  If I hadn't played the other two guitars, I might have come away believing that V-bracing was all show and no go.  But the K24 and 914 were sublime.  So my conclusion is that this particular K14 is a flawed guitar.  Played with open chords, it was wonderful.  Mix in a capo and stir, and the results aren't tasty.

If I were dying to buy one of these three guitars, I'd probably opt for the K24 because it offers a considerably different sound from my 814 DLX, while improving on the 814's intonation and aesthetics, the latter of which is highly subjective.  The all-koa K24 is just a gorgeous-looking and -sounding guitar that offers a voice like nothing I've ever owned.  One nit-pick, though, on the K24 is that it features Taylor tuning machines, rather than the Gotohs featured on the other two models.  But then the K24 is also 500 bucks cheaper than the other two.  Still, at this price, you don't expect Taylor to scrimp on the details.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 07:06:41 PM by DennisG »
'18 Taylor K14-BE
'18 Taylor 114e
'21 Taylor GT Urban Ash
'15 Martin uke

Bohacker

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2018, 08:25:37 AM »
DennisG, thank you so much for the insightful comments on these new guitars.  I have a couple of major things to celebrate and had actually placed the K14ce on order.  It is a beautiful piece of work but the rubber hits the road at my ears.  I think you saved me from a major disappointment.
Taylor   K14ce,810,T5 Classic    Fender  Strat, Tele
Gibson  LP(2), SG(2)                Gretsch G6659TG
Martin   DC-16GTE                   PRS      Custom 24

DennisG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2018, 09:04:17 AM »
DennisG, thank you so much for the insightful comments on these new guitars.  I have a couple of major things to celebrate and had actually placed the K14ce on order.  It is a beautiful piece of work but the rubber hits the road at my ears.  I think you saved me from a major disappointment.

Bohacker,

Please keep in mind that I was very careful to say that I found the particular K14 I played to be flawed.  That statement isn't meant to be an indictment of all K14s.  I'm pretty sure the one I played is simply an aberration, and could possibly be fixed with a proper setup.  In fact, it sounded wonderful when played near the nut.  I'd hate to think that my criticism of the one I played would do anything to discourage you from getting your dream guitar.
'18 Taylor K14-BE
'18 Taylor 114e
'21 Taylor GT Urban Ash
'15 Martin uke

Sprintbob

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2018, 09:29:08 AM »
In addition to all the pre-V-braced Taylors I own, I have a Rainsong P-12 that I own primarily as my travel guitar and it’s gotten around with a couple of trips to the Caribbean, a trip to Italy, and lots of days in a cold or hot car, humid and dry.

The last time I played it was on a short vacation in Florida last month where I had it with me. I was on the road last night and had it in the hotel room and just got it out and started playing without even thinking to tune it. When I realized I had not checked the tuning (it sounded great), I popped the tuner on the headstock and every open string was in tune.

So then I took a break and read this forum post. This motivated me to check every string on my P-12 from open to the 12th fret and every single position was in tune. I then put a $20 Planet Waves capo at different positions along the neck and again, not a single string out of tune.

Perhaps Andy and Bob are going in the wrong direction and just need to start building unbraced carbon fiber guitars!

Kudos to Rainsong!
Collings 0001A (Adi/Mahogany)
Cordoba GK Pro Negra (Spruce/EIR)
Froggy Bottom H-12 (Adi/EIR)
Rainsong P-12 (all carbon fiber)
Robinson 12 Fret SS Dread (Spruce/Mahogany)
Santa Cruz Skye 00 (Adi/Cocobolo)
Taylor 714ce 12 fret (Cedar/Koa)
Taylor K-22ce 12 fret (all Koa)
Taylor 562ce 12 fret (all Mahogany)