Author Topic: New 816ce - Humidifier advice needed  (Read 1148 times)

daacrusher2001

New 816ce - Humidifier advice needed
« on: February 09, 2018, 08:55:26 PM »
Hi All, I just bought a Taylor 816ce, and I want to make sure to keep it properly humidified. I'll have to use a case humidifier of some kind for the time being.

What do you all recommend to keep my new Taylor humidified? It's dry and cold here in the winter...

I have some Oasis humidifiers. They work, but I have to remember to check them - open to suggestions!

donlyn

• Veteran Member
  • De gustibus non disputandum
Re: New 816ce - Humidifier advice needed
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2018, 11:12:17 PM »
Hi All, I just bought a Taylor 816ce, and I want to make sure to keep it properly humidified. I'll have to use a case humidifier of some kind for the time being.

What do you all recommend to keep my new Taylor humidified? It's dry and cold here in the winter...

I have some Oasis humidifiers. They work, but I have to remember to check them - open to suggestions!

Congrats on your new guitar. Year made? Just curious; 800 series was 'modernized' not too many years ago.

A very timely thread recently started in the subzero wind chill month of last December has a lot of pertinent info. Titled "Humidification for Winter". Check it out:

http://www.unofficialtaylorguitarforum.com/index.php?topic=8662.0

Don

edit> In what part of the country do you reside? Climate a big factor in this topic.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 11:14:43 PM by donlyn »
* The Heard:
85 Gibson J 200  sitka/rosewood Jumbo
99 Taylor 355  sitka/sapele 12 string Jumbo
06 Alvarez AJ60S  englemann/mpl lam m Jumbo
14 Taylor 818e  sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10  all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor  all walnut Jumbo
16 Taylor 412e-R SE  sitka/rosewood GC
16 Taylor 458e-R  sitka/rosewood 12 string GO
21 Epiphone J-200  sitka/maple Jumbo
22 Guild F-1512 s/rw 12 string Jumbo

* Tenor Ukuleles:
Kala KA STG
Kala KA APT5 CTG 5 string

daacrusher2001

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2018, 08:34:10 AM »

Congrats on your new guitar. Year made? Just curious; 800 series was 'modernized' not too many years ago.

A very timely thread recently started in the subzero wind chill month of last December has a lot of pertinent info. Titled "Humidification for Winter". Check it out:

http://www.unofficialtaylorguitarforum.com/index.php?topic=8662.0

Don

edit> In what part of the country do you reside? Climate a big factor in this topic.

Thanks for the link, some good information.

It's a new 816, current model. Fantastic sound and beautiful playability right out of the case.

I'm in the Northeast, so variable humidity and temps all the time, but winter can be especially dry at times.

I used to use Oasis (sound hole and case) and they worked for humidifying in the winter, if I could only remember to refill them.

I will likely buy into the technology and get a bluetooth sensor. That'll make it easier for me. I'll probably go with the humidipacks for now.

I was interested in the water bead idea that one person mentioned. My electrics could use some humidity in the winter too. If I had a room where I could maintain humidity that'd be best, but it is what it is.

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2018, 09:35:56 AM »
I live in the Rocky Mountain region and in the Winter I have seen my house drop to 15% humidity.  So, I use a whole house portable humidifier and use it in the room I store all of my music instruments.  Plus I put a number of different styles of in the instrument case humidifiers.  I also use hygrometers in several of my instrument cases, including the Taylorsense in my 814ce LTD.  In the Summer I can stop using all of the humidifiers, but I still keep a eye on the room hygrometer. 
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.

daacrusher2001

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2018, 01:48:09 PM »
I live in the Rocky Mountain region and in the Winter I have seen my house drop to 15% humidity.  So, I use a whole house portable humidifier and use it in the room I store all of my music instruments.  Plus I put a number of different styles of in the instrument case humidifiers.  I also use hygrometers in several of my instrument cases, including the Taylorsense in my 814ce LTD.  In the Summer I can stop using all of the humidifiers, but I still keep a eye on the room hygrometer. 

Yep, well acquainted with the low humidity out there. I used to live in Colorado Springs...it's not even close to as dry here, but does get below optimal levels and I have had an acoustic flatten out due to extended low humidity. Too much invested in the Taylor to let that happen!

Marco Polo

• Veteran Member
  • James 1:22-25
    • Buick Factory GS Stage1 Registry
Marco
1975 Gibson L6 midnight special
DI - PS56ce
Rosie   - GAce Fall-LTD
Bonnie   - 254ce DLX

Taylorholic

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2018, 03:04:52 PM »
Which oasis humidifier to you have?  I'm a big fan of the OH models.  You don't have to open them up to check them because it's quite evident when they need to be refilled just by looking at them.  They shrivel up.  They're also the only thing I've ever used that actually keeps the inside of my cases humidified because they hold a lot more water than any sponge ever will without dripping.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/oasis-oh-5-plus-humidifier/421671000000000?pfm=item_page.rr1|ClickCP