Author Topic: Loose braces on early 800 series Taylors....  (Read 1230 times)

jrporter

• Veteran Member
Loose braces on early 800 series Taylors....
« on: February 07, 2018, 04:03:04 PM »
Several weeks ago I changed the strings on my revoiced Taylor 814 and subsequently got a very strange sound while strumming. I tried to think it through methodically and changed some parts one at a time to determine what could be making the offending sound. These included the newly installed strings, the saddle, and bridge pins but all to no avail. I used an extension mirror but couldn't see anything amiss inside the guitar. I finally gave it what I call the Stevie Wonder Treatment, and removed the strings and carefully felt around the inside of the box with my fingertips. This quickly alerted me to the fact that the top brace just below the bridge plate had come loose and was no longer attached at one end.

I considered several solutions but opted to call Taylor's Service Center. To make a long story short, it seems that there was an issue with the applications of "protein glue" in the assembly of (some of) the early revoiced 800 series Taylors. The good news is that Taylor is installing a new body on my 814 and covering shipping both ways. The bad news is that I won't see my 814 until the end of March.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 09:37:04 PM by jrporter »

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
Re: Loose braces on early 800 series Taylors....
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2018, 04:20:48 PM »
Wow. Sorry to hear that, but glad that Taylor is standing up and making it right for you.
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+
Pono Guileles: Mango Baritone Deluxe ○ Mahogany Baritone

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

jrporter

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2018, 04:56:03 PM »
Wow. Sorry to hear that, but glad that Taylor is standing up and making it right for you.

Yes, Taylor is definitely standing behind this guitar and the issues. I initiated this thread as a caution to others as well as a strong suggestion that they resist the temptation to do either a makeshift repair or take it to some local guitar tech, no matter how competent he or she is....

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2018, 05:02:06 PM »

Yes, Taylor is definitely standing behind this guitar and the issues. I initiated this thread as a caution to others as well as a strong suggestion that they resist the temptation to do either a makeshift repair or take it to some local guitar tech, no matter how competent he or she is....
Good idea. There are probably other members here that could potentially be in the same boat. I'd definitely have Taylor do the work too.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 05:05:26 PM by TaylorGirl »
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+
Pono Guileles: Mango Baritone Deluxe ○ Mahogany Baritone

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

gluby

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2018, 09:19:26 AM »
When your guitar was crafted?

Frettingflyer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2018, 11:46:39 AM »

I hope not to need that repair, but my local “tech” is a Taylor platinum level repair person, so I am pretty comfortable going to him. I think my 812 is from early 2014, would that be in the time frame?
Dave
2014 Koa GS Mini-e FLTD (for the wife)
2004 314ce,
2014 custom GC Coco/Euro spruce
2015 Wildwood 812ce 12 fret
2016 522ce 12 fret
2019 K24ce BE
2021 322e
2017 Blackbird Lucky 13
2019 Mcpherson Sable

Christhee68

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2018, 12:05:36 PM »
Several weeks ago I changed the strings on my revoiced Taylor 814 and subsequently got a very strange sound while strumming. I tried to think it through methodically and changed some parts one at a time to determine what could be making the offending sound. These included the newly installed strings, the saddle, and bridge pins but all to no avail. I used an extension mirror but couldn't see anything amiss inside the guitar. I finally gave it what I call the Stevie Wonder Treatment, and removed the strings and carefully felt around the inside of the box with my fingertips. This quickly alerted me to the fact that the top brace just below the bridge plate had come loose and was no longer attached at one end.

I considered several solutions but opted to call Taylor's Service Center. To make a long story short, it seems that there was an issue with the applications of "protein glue" in the assembly of (some of) the early revoiced 800 series Taylors. The good news is that Taylor is installing a new body on my 814 and covering shipping both ways. The bad news is that I won't see my 814 until the end of March.

That sounds like quite a repair. It reminds me of the old story about Great Grandpa's Axe: "This is my Great Grandfather's axe. I've had it all these years and I've only replaced the handle twice and the blade once."
2013 Taylor 314ce
2015 Martin D-18
1982 Martin HD-28
2004 Fender Telecaster
2010 Martin X-Series
Mid 80's Sigma DM-3