Author Topic: New member from OH - IO  (Read 990 times)

oldbandguy

New member from OH - IO
« on: January 29, 2018, 10:44:43 PM »
Just joined the forum.  I am basically a beginner when it comes to guitar.  I bought a GOYA guitar for $99 40 years ago to use in a guitar class for a semester in college.  I learned a few basics, but played very little after taking the class.  I'm now retired and have the time and desire to take it up again.

I pulled the Goya out of the closet.  It's not a horrible guitar at all, but I did some research on what
might be the "best" guitar for a beginner.  The reviews and YouTube clips soon made me think the
Taylor Academy was at the top of the list.

I went to a local guitar store, that has well over 1,000 guitars on hand.  I talked to the owner and
asked him "what is your best guitar for a beginner?"  He asked "in what price range?"  I told him
"that's not a factor (even though it was), I just want to know what you think is the BEST beginners
guitar."

He didn't hesitate.  He said in his opinion the Taylor Academy was the way to go, but would cost about $700 total.  Considering he had guitars from $100 to several thousand dollars I thought he was giving me his honest opinion, not just trying to make a sale.

I tried the 10e and 12e and decided on the 10e.  I am VERY happy with it and look forward to
learning to play it...a lot.

Also look forward to taking part in the forum.

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
Re: New member from OH - IO
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2018, 06:37:05 AM »
Welcome and a big congrats on the new Taylor Academy guitar. Great choice, they are wonderful. Just so you know, they definitely aren't just beginner guitars. No reason it can't be a long-term guitar.....great tone, playability, quality, etc.

BTW, I'm an old band gal.....alto saxophone.  ;)
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+
Pono Guileles: Mango Baritone Deluxe ○ Mahogany Baritone

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2018, 07:10:57 AM »
Welcome obg-

You've made an excellent choice - just what the doctor ordered for a new beginning. Enjoy!
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2018, 09:39:11 AM »
Welcome to the forum oldbandguy.  I think your made a good choice with your 10e.  A guitar you can learn on and grow with. Congratulations. 
« Last Edit: February 05, 2018, 01:44:35 PM by MGap »
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2018, 10:18:03 AM »
Indeed, welcome, and thanks for sharing your story!  Good on the sales guy/shop to treat you well as they did.  Looking forward to you sharing here, sir! :)

Edward