Author Topic: Custom pick guard ?  (Read 1754 times)

Guitar Cowboy

• Veteran Member
Custom pick guard ?
« on: January 25, 2018, 04:49:26 PM »
I am considering replacing the tortoise shell pickguard on my 816ce with a custom rosewood pickguard maybe with some personalized inlay. I was wondering if anyone has any opinions about this? Let’s assume I have the courage, Knowledge and patience  to take the pick guard off and apply the new one. I am more concerned with any possible long term effects especially any dampening of the sound. The pickguard would be slightly thicker that the factory pickguards and maybe even a little thicker than the ones Taylor is using on the current 600 (ebony) and 800 (rosewood) series guitars. My understanding is that the custom pickguards I am looking into (Bill Nichols Inlay) are between 1 and 1.5 mm.  I know some of you don’t like pick guards, but it is a must for me as I can be an aggressive strummer. I have never been a big fan of the tortoise shell, but like the aesthetics of the newer wood pickguards. I have had no problems with scratches on my 618 with ebony pickguard and think the reason Taylor puts the pick guard grain at an angle is that so it is in the direction of the pick movement and helps conceal any light scratches.

So, I am looking for input/caution regarding doing this at all as well as any advice from those of you who have already done it.
Thanks
Steve
« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 07:39:39 PM by Guitar Cowboy »
Steve
2020 326ce V-class soundhole cutaway prototype
(Mahogany/Urban Ash)
2019 E14 Limited Edition V-Class (Spruce/Ebony)
2019 814ce V-Class (Cedar/Rosewood)
2016 GS mini-E Koa
2015 618e 1st Edition (Torrified Spruce/Maple)
2014 K26ce (AA Koa- Wildwood CV) 
1980-something Yamaha  FG345II Dread

jjrpilot-admin

• UTGF Owner
  • Administrator
  • Veteran Member
Re: Custom pick guard ?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2018, 09:50:48 PM »
Have you thought about ordering one of the new rosewood pick guards from Taylor?  That way it would be the proper thickness...I wonder if Bill would be willing to do a custom inlay on a Taylor wood pickguard...

Like you I'd be worried about it affecting the sound.

PS...for some reason I thought you could buy one from their website...it doesn't look like that's offered...maybe talk to your local Taylor dealer?
Col 1:15 "that in everything He might be preeminent."
2016 324 (Mahogany top/Tasmanian Blackwood b&s)
2017 Gibson J-45 Standard

Guitar Cowboy

• Veteran Member
Re: Custom pick guard ?
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2018, 11:48:02 AM »
Yes , I did think about that . Per Taylor customer service , they don't sell those for guitars that didn't originally have them ( earlier models), which doesn't mean I couldn't get one from a dealer. They also told me that the thickness (1 to 1.5 mm) would probably be OK . However, I have also heard somewhere that you shouldn't but the thicker wood pick guards on a guitar that has the thicker finish ( before the re-voicing) . On the other hand,  I have also heard people say thatgloss finish guitars are bad because the added finish dampens the top movement and I don't really believe that one. I guess Ill take this slow.

Steve
2020 326ce V-class soundhole cutaway prototype
(Mahogany/Urban Ash)
2019 E14 Limited Edition V-Class (Spruce/Ebony)
2019 814ce V-Class (Cedar/Rosewood)
2016 GS mini-E Koa
2015 618e 1st Edition (Torrified Spruce/Maple)
2014 K26ce (AA Koa- Wildwood CV) 
1980-something Yamaha  FG345II Dread