Author Topic: Anyone figured out a good strap lock system?  (Read 6010 times)

DennisG

• Veteran Member
  • Veni Vidi Velcro: I came, I saw, I stuck around
Anyone figured out a good strap lock system?
« on: January 23, 2018, 10:31:14 AM »
After years of owning Taylor guitars, I've yet to figure out a workable strap lock that won't activate my ES system.  One promising device was the Planet Waves CinchFit, but it doesn't fit on Taylor's endpin jack.  Any ideas?
-------------------------------------
'21 Goodall GC - master redwood/Macassar ebony
'18 Taylor K14-BE
'18 Taylor 114e
'21 Taylor GT Urban Ash
'15 Martin uke

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
Re: Anyone figured out a good strap lock system?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2018, 12:18:32 PM »
Hey Dennis,

What do you mean by "activate" the ES?  FWIW, I've found that if you are plugged in, that in itself is a "keeper' for the strap at the butt end (and if you are not plugged in then that's a different story, of course).  So is the button or strap end at the neck heel giving you trouble?

Edward

DennisG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2018, 06:33:26 PM »
Hi Edward,

Thanks for responding.  Yes, I understand what you mean that plugging in will hold the strap in place.  But there are venues I play where I'm not plugged in, and I'd like to lock the strap onto the end pin jack without using typical strap locks which would drain the battery, since they want to be plugged in.  Let me know if I'm not making myself clear.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 04:05:34 PM by DennisG »
'18 Taylor K14-BE
'18 Taylor 114e
'21 Taylor GT Urban Ash
'15 Martin uke

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2018, 08:01:54 PM »
Ahhh got ya, Dennis!
The trouble I have with the ES end pin (and playing not plugged in) is that it is so shallow --too shallow IMHO-- and requires either a thin strap, or that you "squish" the strap so that it fits into the button properly and will stay there.  I did the latter as I use the Taylor suede strap as well as the old "Byzantine" strap ...both are hearty, thick leather that is comfortable, but doesn't fit into the shallow ES endpin.  Enter two nickels: wet the end of the strap, put a nickel on both sides of the hole, and squeeze it in a bench vice (or vice grips, C-clamp, whatever).  Leave it overnight and the leather dries that way, and now that area is permanently thinner and fits perfectly onto (or should I say into) the ES endpin ...and she stays!  Short of Pete Townshend windmills, I feel very secure about the strap staying put. Not exactly what you may be looking for, but it definitely works!!  :)

Edward

EFG

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2018, 08:07:43 AM »
  Edward.                                                                                                                              Thanks for that strap fix suggestion. Just purchased my first Taylor and I was surprised
that the Clinch Fit attachment that I use on my other Guitars won’t work on the Taylor
  Ed

TLAW

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2018, 09:35:55 AM »
might not be the remedy your looking for but I did get a Lakota Leather strap that was mentioned on the forum a bit....I fits like a glove and is thinner than most I've had...SO FAR, haven't had any OH CRAP! pop off moments & I play/gig fairly heavily plugged & unplugged..Best wishes!
1913 Weymann Banjolin
1996 Strat/Texas Special
2003 Martin HD28
2007 Rover F Style Mandolin
2015 Eastman VL501 Violin
2017 Lamberti Master Series Guarneri Violin
2017 Taylor 914ce Sunburst
2019 Collings CJ35 Sunburst
Several other Also Rans

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2018, 10:44:03 AM »
I've never seen a Cinch Fit, but in principle, I personally don't like fussing with strap "thingies" as I simply want to slip it on and trust it. 

The ES pin is a bit of a pain that is easily remedied by Taylor IMHO: simply make it with another 1mm or so of depth, done!!!  But as it is what it is, I'd rather go with the "nickel squish" method than any other device that I have to think about and deal with.  That said, on a Les Paul I will add a rubber washer because with an LP, the stakes are high if that bad boy lets go!!!  It's all about what we're comfortable with and the lengths we're willing to go to gain that comfort. :)

Edward

DennisG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2018, 04:13:27 PM »
I've never seen a Cinch Fit, but in principle, I personally don't like fussing with strap "thingies" as I simply want to slip it on and trust it. 

The ES pin is a bit of a pain that is easily remedied by Taylor IMHO: simply make it with another 1mm or so of depth, done!!!  But as it is what it is, I'd rather go with the "nickel squish" method than any other device that I have to think about and deal with.  That said, on a Les Paul I will add a rubber washer because with an LP, the stakes are high if that bad boy lets go!!!  It's all about what we're comfortable with and the lengths we're willing to go to gain that comfort. :)

Edward

One end of the CinchFit attaches to the guitar strap; the other end has jaws that clamp onto the end-pin jack.  It holds the strap securely in place, yet can be removed in about two seconds.  Naturally, Taylor's non-standard end-pin jack is too wide to accommodate the CinchFit.  This clever device fits perfectly on my Goodall's end-pin jack and those of every other guitar I've tried it on.  Honestly, there are times when I've found Taylor's insistence on using this portly and shallow end-pin jack to be maddening.  It would be such an easy fix for them.
'18 Taylor K14-BE
'18 Taylor 114e
'21 Taylor GT Urban Ash
'15 Martin uke

EFG

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2018, 08:44:01 AM »
Ahhh got ya, Dennis!
The trouble I have with the ES end pin (and playing not plugged in) is that it is so shallow --too shallow IMHO-- and requires either a thin strap, or that you "squish" the strap so that it fits into the button properly and will stay there.  I did the latter as I use the Taylor suede strap as well as the old "Byzantine" strap ...both are hearty, thick leather that is comfortable, but doesn't fit into the shallow ES endpin.  Enter two nickels: wet the end of the strap, put a nickel on both sides of the hole, and squeeze it in a bench vice (or vice grips, C-clamp, whatever).  Leave it overnight and the leather dries that way, and now that area is permanently thinner and fits perfectly onto (or should I say into) the ES endpin ...and she stays!  Short of Pete Townshend windmills, I feel very secure about the strap staying put. Not exactly what you may be looking for, but it definitely works!!  :)

Edward

New to Taylor and I was surprised that the Clinch Fit I use on my Martin and Gibson will not work on the Taylor .  Tried the two nickels and wet strap end and now I’m good to go ! Thanks Edward
Ed

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2018, 05:25:58 PM »
Hahaha, another convert, nice!  Ya gotta love it when the cheap, low-tech solution is the best solution.  I had learned this trick and had done it to two of my Taylor straps yeeeeaaars ago and I still swear by this fix :)

Edward

EFG

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2018, 07:35:07 PM »
Hahaha, another convert, nice!  Ya gotta love it when the cheap, low-tech solution is the best solution.  I had learned this trick and had done it to two of my Taylor straps yeeeeaaars ago and I still swear by this fix :)

Edward

You are Da Man Edward!
 Simple but very effective solution
 And I love the name Edward 😂
   Ed

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2018, 12:11:35 AM »
Two Eds are better than one, mate! ;)

Edward

Soof

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2018, 12:17:32 AM »
I'm looking into the Loxx system, a German company.  I sent them an e-mail yesterday (saturday) so I figure I'll give them a few days to respond.  Their website shows a system for acoustic guitars.  It looks promising!
Martin D-20 12 string (1970)
Yamaha APX500III
Taylor 110e Prototype (2016)
Fender Squier Vintage Modified 70s Tele
Reville MV-XM (actually a very nice Gibson copy!)
Donner Strat (copy)

donlyn

• Veteran Member
  • De gustibus non disputandum
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2018, 07:44:38 PM »
Saw something on Amazon and didn't see it here, so:

https://www.amazon.com/Strap-Jack-Guitar-System-Acoustic/product-reviews/B01NCA718C/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_hist_3?ie=UTF8&filterByStar=three_star&reviewerType=all_reviews&pageNumber=1#reviews-filter-bar

Thing is called a "Strap Jack". Manufacturer claims it won't trigger battery drain, but some customers said it does in the reviews. Seems Amazon customers either loved it or hated it. Insert grain of salt here.

Don't claim to have the answer, but every bit of info helps.

Edit > More info courtesy of AGF:

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=347057
« Last Edit: May 07, 2018, 07:53:01 PM by donlyn »
* The Heard:
85 Gibson J 200  sitka/rosewood Jumbo
99 Taylor 355  sitka/sapele 12 string Jumbo
06 Alvarez AJ60S  englemann/mpl lam m Jumbo
14 Taylor 818e  sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10  all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor  all walnut Jumbo
16 Taylor 412e-R SE  sitka/rosewood GC
16 Taylor 458e-R  sitka/rosewood 12 string GO
21 Epiphone J-200  sitka/maple Jumbo
22 Guild F-1512 s/rw 12 string Jumbo

* Tenor Ukuleles:
Kala KA STG
Kala KA APT5 CTG 5 string

Earl

• Veteran Member
  • Quando omni flunkus moritati
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2018, 12:04:22 AM »
As I posted on that AGF thread in 2014:

I use [the Strap Jack] for my performing ukulele, which has a passive pickup (no battery). It was a way to use a strap without having to put in a second strap button in addition to the end pin jack. Mine is just a touch loose and does pull out sometimes. It depends on the ID tolerances of the end pin jack (they do vary).  I have considered using a turn of black electrical tape to tighten things up, or maybe crunching it a little with pliers to make it "toothed" or oblong.

I still have not tested it in my Taylor's to see if it runs down the battery, but I suspect not.
Taylors:  424-LTD (all koa) and a 114ce that lives with friends in Alaska.  Low maintenance carbon fiber guitars are my "thing" these days, but I will always keep the koa 424.  Several ukulele and bass guitars too. 
*Gone but not forgotten:  a 2001 414ce, 410, 354-LTD twelve string, 314-N, 416-LTD baritone, T5 Classic, 615ce, 2006 GS-K, 1996 (first year) Baby