Author Topic: 2015 512ce possible purchase  (Read 1602 times)

xriddler

2015 512ce possible purchase
« on: January 14, 2018, 09:46:15 AM »
Hi there I am new to the forum. I have read some post regarding some remodeled Taylor's such as the 800 series. My understanding is that the 500 series was revoiced in 2016. My local shop has a discount on a new 2015 model for a reasonable price but am I going to be losing out by not getting the newer version? I won't be able to a/b test them as they only have that one version available. Has anyone had experience with both models?

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
Re: 2015 512ce possible purchase
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2018, 10:13:50 AM »
Welcome exriddler-

The thing about Taylor is that they have always made top quality instruments regardless of the incremental changes they have made over the years. Some prefer older designs and some prefer newer designs. See my signature below - I like them both equally, because the common element is quality. If you like that 512, you should go for it, because the newer one is different, not better. Just my two cents..
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood

DennisG

• Veteran Member
  • Veni Vidi Velcro: I came, I saw, I stuck around
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2018, 10:52:43 AM »
I bought a 2017 814 DLX that blew my mind to the degree that I immediately sold off both my 2010 814 and my Goodall.  In my experience, the revoicing of the guitars is far more than incremental, at least on the 600- and 800-series guitars I've played.
-------------------------------------
'21 Goodall GC - master redwood/Macassar ebony
'18 Taylor K14-BE
'18 Taylor 114e
'21 Taylor GT Urban Ash
'15 Martin uke

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2018, 11:18:53 AM »
Welcome. I agree with Strumming Fool. The revoicings are different, but not necessarily "better". Some prefer the older models, some prefer the newer models. I have both. The best decision for YOU is trying the guitar and determining if It is what you want/need, in terms of price, tone, feel, etc. The quality is the same. The aesthetics may have changed, so there's a lot to consider. The one perception that seems to be out there is that the revoicings have made the older Taylor's undersireable, which is not necessarily true.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 12:00:04 PM by TaylorGirl »
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+
Pono Guileles: Mango Baritone Deluxe ○ Mahogany Baritone

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

xriddler

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2018, 11:50:10 AM »
The reason I'm going with the smaller body guitar is that my Simon and Patrick dread gives me arm pains. I'm 5'6 in height, how does a grand auditorium feel compared to a dread?

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2018, 11:56:32 AM »
While sitting, a GA is easier on the shoulder, because it has a narrower waist, allowing the guitar to settle in lower on your leg. That said, I'm 5'10" (or maybe 9".... due to my advancing years  ;)), and find the GA body size much more comfortable than a DN. The GC is even more comfy on the shoulder. Give them both a try.
Susie

Luckymud

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2018, 03:21:38 PM »
Not sure if it's okay to reference my guitar in the marketplace (mods please delete if not), but...

I've got a 512ce from last year in really great condition that's up for sale towards the top of the marketplace section.

I've played the pre-2016 version of the 512ce, but not the 12 fret. The 12-fret version I feel has more bass and "round-ness" to the sound. I liked it a lot better, and enough to buy the 2017 version. Turns out that cedar doesn't really mesh well with my voice, so I'm not playing it much. However, it sounds amazing, and really different from my spruce topped 12-fretter. It's warmer, and mellower. The 12-fret gc body is my favorite as it's insanely comfortable to hold and play, for long periods of time. Personally, I also liked the aesthetic changes they made in the newer versions, with the tortoise binding, instead of the ivoroid. I just think it looks a little nicer with the dark contrast binding. When I bought my 2017, I had considered buying an 2015 at a considerable discount for a NOS guitar, but I much preferred the look of the newer version.

Luckymud

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2018, 03:38:48 PM »
The reason I'm going with the smaller body guitar is that my Simon and Patrick dread gives me arm pains. I'm 5'6 in height, how does a grand auditorium feel compared to a dread?

I feel like the GA body size does feel different than a dread, mostly because of the pinched waist, but the lower bout is still the same width across as a dreadnaught. The GC size is substantially more comfortable, to me, than either (I'm also relatively short at 5'9). The 12-fret version will make the GC even more comfy as it moves your fretting hand closer to your body by a few inches, which to me makes a huge difference. I am completely in love with the Taylor GC 12-fret models with the single exception of the slotted headstock. They're fine, but aesthetically, I'd prefer the regular headstock. But given the sound and playability/comfort, it's really a non-issue.

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2018, 04:37:45 PM »

I'm also 5'6".In my younger days, I played dreadnoughts exclusively. I discovered in 1997 that the grand auditorium (approximately the same length, width and depth of a standard dread) with its narrowed waist gave me the volume and added balance that I needed in a much more comfortable package. To be totally transparent, I play standing up 95% of the time. However, if you like to sit when you play, the GA still works much better than a dread, but you still may prefer the GC.

xriddler

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2018, 10:06:30 AM »
Thank you for the responses everyone. I was able to a/b test the 414ce-r and the 512ce side by side. They are very different instruments and I really loved them both. I opted for the 512ce due to it having a shorter scale as I have relatively short fingers but they both sounded amazing. The 414 really had a bell like  sound and I really liked that. Makes me wonder if the 412ce-r would have the
same characteristics. The GC model was super comfy to hold too. As I don't gig I think the loudness of the GC  model is enough  as when I dig in it is still loud enough for me to hear.

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2018, 12:02:34 PM »
Great! Congratulations.....maybe you can post some pictures for us to see. I love seeing new Taylor's.
Susie

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2018, 02:13:55 PM »
Glad it worked out for you - enjoy your new friend!

xriddler

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2018, 06:11:13 PM »
This taylor really really is the most comfortable guitar I've held. For some reason I can't post pics with attachments

As my basement is really dry at 32 readings of humidity on my dehumidifier in the room next to my room. I made some diy sponge and holes cut out of a box humidifier for when I store it In  the case. is that enough without a sound hole humidifier? Would the humidity on the side of the guitar still get into the sound hole when I close the case?

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2018, 07:54:04 PM »
This taylor really really is the most comfortable guitar I've held. For some reason I can't post pics with attachments

As my basement is really dry at 32 readings of humidity on my dehumidifier in the room next to my room. I made some diy sponge and holes cut out of a box humidifier for when I store it In  the case. is that enough without a sound hole humidifier? Would the humidity on the side of the guitar still get into the sound hole when I close the case?

I do the same type of thing as you.  I use travel soap containers and put a sponge in it, drill holes in the top of the container and soak the sponge.  In the winter months, I use two in one case, one by the peg head and one next to the cut-away space by the body.  You should put a hygrometer in the case to check the rh. 
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.

HAPPYDAN

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2018, 11:21:06 AM »
Thank you for the responses everyone. I was able to a/b test the 414ce-r and the 512ce side by side. They are very different instruments and I really loved them both. I opted for the 512ce due to it having a shorter scale as I have relatively short fingers but they both sounded amazing. The 414 really had a bell like  sound and I really liked that. Makes me wonder if the 412ce-r would have the
same characteristics. The GC model was super comfy to hold too. As I don't gig I think the loudness of the GC  model is enough  as when I dig in it is still loud enough for me to hear.
I searched for and was lucky enough to find a 2016 412e-R about a year ago. I have a bad right shoulder, and the body size works very well for me. My prior was a 114CE, I could only play for 30-45 minutes before the pain was too much. No problem with 412e-R. It took a few weeks to adjust to the wider (1-3/4) fingerboard, but it's the boss for fingerstyle (90% of my playing), and the shorter scale (less string tension) is a little easier on the fingertips. It has a warm, mellow tone similar to mahogany or koa, and articulates individual notes very well. The strumming sound, for some reason, does not appeal to me however. I like my GS Mini's (maple/spruce) strumming sound better, but not so much F/style. Also, if it helps, I play (and sing) softer rock ballads, folk and folk rock, and some light country (Denver, PPM, Buffet, early Beatles, Whitley, S&G). Your style and preference has a lot to do with it. You're correct in assuming the GC is not as loud as, say the GA size. But it also does not overwhelm the singer (if it's an E, you can always plug it in).