Author Topic: New Taylor Braceing Method  (Read 10437 times)

458e

Re: New Taylor Braceing Method
« Reply #45 on: February 07, 2018, 08:08:44 AM »
I am fairly new to Taylor as a owner. I was never a Taylor fan. However I really appreciated the 12 string instruments, but not enough to purchase one.
But this Andy Powers really changed them for me. The GO was my favorite Jumbo in the search of a new 12 string. So I bought the 458e-R. Bought it mid last year and still loving it. This guitar sparked my interest in Taylor and the re-voiced etc 800 series caught my interest.
Fell in love with the 856ce and ordered one last fall, but without the ES-2 system. There are way better PU systems for acoustics on the market.

Andy Powers seems to really change things at Taylor and I am looking forward to check out one of these new V-bracing guitars. If it's that good and it works for 12 string as well, I would be intrigued to purchase another Taylor.

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #46 on: February 10, 2018, 09:47:52 AM »
Andy Powers seems to really change things at Taylor and I am looking forward to check out one of these new V-bracing guitars. If it's that good and it works for 12 string as well, I would be intrigued to purchase another Taylor.

I am also interested in how the new V bracing will effect other Taylor sizes and set ups.  Such as, will it work for the 12th fret models? will it work on the 562 12th-fret 12 string?  Is it enough bracing for a 12 string?  I am sure that the R&D department are working on it.
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.

zeebow

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #47 on: February 10, 2018, 11:48:51 AM »
i’m definitely excited to try this, i think it sounds fantastic in all of the videos i have seen. i’m also intrigued by the ergonomic design of the builders reserve

i completely get what taylor is saying - if intonation is better the notes all sound pure, much like how i feel when playing my lutz/cocobolo - the note accuracy is so good and it makes it so easy to sing along with and just has this purity to it.

1995 912C - englemann/eir
2009 xxxv-p - sitka/madagascar
2010 414ce - sitka/ovangkol (made on my wedding day!)
2011 914ce - cedar/eir
2014 martin 000-28 custom - adi/cocobolo
2017 BTO GC 12 fret - lutz/cocobolo
2019 BTO GC 12 fret - cedar/cocobolo
2019 sheeran w03 - cedar/santos rosewood
2019 lowden s35 12 fret - driftwood cedar/cocobolo
2020 lowden s35 12 fret alpine spruce/madagascar
2023 lowden wee wl-35 12 fret - driftwood cedar/madagascar
2023 martin 00-28 modern deluxe - sitka/eir

Frettingflyer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #48 on: February 11, 2018, 08:49:16 AM »
It sounds like the V bracing may be a real improvement, probably not for playing in a noisy bar, but for recording or playing in quiet unplugged settings. While I doubt it will cause me to want to sell my current Taylor’s for models with V bracing, I like the concept and the improvements in intonation and sustain could make for a fun instrument to explore. I like what they did with the builders reserve and hope that eventually this will work its way down to the GC level in 800 or below.
Looking forward to getting to play one in person, although not rushing out to find them. I am also looking forward to reading impressions on the forum when others find and try them.
Dave
2014 Koa GS Mini-e FLTD (for the wife)
2004 314ce,
2014 custom GC Coco/Euro spruce
2015 Wildwood 812ce 12 fret
2016 522ce 12 fret
2019 K24ce BE
2021 322e
2017 Blackbird Lucky 13
2019 Mcpherson Sable

lmacmil

• Veteran Member
« Reply #49 on: February 11, 2018, 11:19:36 AM »
I think this will turn out like many other sonic innovations.  The true "golden ears" will hear the difference.  That's maybe 5% of the guitar playing population.  The golden ear wannabes will claim to hear a difference but what they hear is biased by their expectations.  The rest of us will say, gee, that's a great sounding guitar, a comment we've made about dozens of other great sounding guitars.  Time will tell.
Taylor GA3
Taylor 150e
Taylor 224ce-K

DennisG

• Veteran Member
  • Veni Vidi Velcro: I came, I saw, I stuck around
« Reply #50 on: February 11, 2018, 05:53:13 PM »
I think this will turn out like many other sonic innovations.  The true "golden ears" will hear the difference.  That's maybe 5% of the guitar playing population.  The golden ear wannabes will claim to hear a difference but what they hear is biased by their expectations.  The rest of us will say, gee, that's a great sounding guitar, a comment we've made about dozens of other great sounding guitars.  Time will tell.

So, those of us who hear a difference are actually fooling ourselves?  Thank you for your insight into my character.
-------------------------------------
'21 Goodall GC - master redwood/Macassar ebony
'18 Taylor K14-BE
'18 Taylor 114e
'21 Taylor GT Urban Ash
'15 Martin uke

lmacmil

• Veteran Member
« Reply #51 on: February 15, 2018, 03:30:30 PM »
So, those of us who hear a difference are actually fooling ourselves?  Thank you for your insight into my character.

Not what I said sir.  Have a great day!
Taylor GA3
Taylor 150e
Taylor 224ce-K

Guitarsan

• Veteran Member
  • Keep calm and play on!
« Reply #52 on: February 15, 2018, 06:32:02 PM »

"The golden ear wannabes will claim to hear a difference but what they hear is biased by their expectations."
"The guitar is the perfect drug because when you play it you're in no pain, and when you put it down, there's no hangover." Paul Reed Smith

2021 Taylor 914ce LTD Sinker Redwood/EIR
2016 Taylor GS Mini-e Flamed Koa

zeebow

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #53 on: February 15, 2018, 09:01:18 PM »

"The golden ear wannabes will claim to hear a difference but what they hear is biased by their expectations."

i think lmacmil was just trying to say tone is subjective, some who have trained ears (like audio engineers) will be able to tell, some people will hear with their eyes, and some will just think it sounds good

he even clarified that he wasn’t making a comment towards DennisG, but just a generic one.

let’s get back to the topic and DennisG provided good feedback on what he has heard.

if i’m wrong and his post was malicious, i’ll correct it by removing it. in this instance i think it was just misintepretated bc there is no emotion translated with electronic text.
1995 912C - englemann/eir
2009 xxxv-p - sitka/madagascar
2010 414ce - sitka/ovangkol (made on my wedding day!)
2011 914ce - cedar/eir
2014 martin 000-28 custom - adi/cocobolo
2017 BTO GC 12 fret - lutz/cocobolo
2019 BTO GC 12 fret - cedar/cocobolo
2019 sheeran w03 - cedar/santos rosewood
2019 lowden s35 12 fret - driftwood cedar/cocobolo
2020 lowden s35 12 fret alpine spruce/madagascar
2023 lowden wee wl-35 12 fret - driftwood cedar/madagascar
2023 martin 00-28 modern deluxe - sitka/eir