Author Topic: New Taylor Braceing Method  (Read 10367 times)

timfitz63

• Veteran Member
  • Getting better one strum at a time...
Re: New Taylor Braceing Method
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2018, 10:17:12 AM »
Quasi-manifesto alert, and all IMHO:

1.  When the Grand Orch model came out: I was excited (though bummed about the demise of the Jumbo), and looked forward to it, even ready to buy, which is rare for me, but the GO-concept was too cool!  Tried all 4 models, for well over an hour in a good room ..."good" but not great.  And now today, I am even less impressed with the GO guitars as opposed to an otherwise stellar line of Taylors.

2. Revoiced 800s came out.  Cool, I thought: this is their flagship and they're gonna kill it!  Well some loved it, others ended up lukewarm; I found it just "meh."  I do, however, think the 600 maple guitars benefitted quite well from the "800-revoicing," more so than did the 800s.

3. ES-2 came out.  I love the ES version 1.3 (model year 2010ff.).  So feeling the 1.3 was at the pinnacle of the ES development, I was jazzed to see another incarnation as each was better than its predecessor.  Utter disappointment.  Tried other guitars and definitely not enamored with this system.  This recent ES2 (2016) is better than the opening version, though.  Sure it's "good," and totally usable, but not at all what I consider to be an upgrade over the ES1.3 

Again, all the aforementioned clearly IMHO and wrought with my own biases.  But I always went in hoping for the best for this company that I continually have the utmost regard for, but likewise always maintain critical objectivity whenever judging tone.  So the chips always fall where they do for me, however it ends up. 

All to say I really do hope this V-bracing is what they claim to be ...but therein lays the problem: Taylor claimed a lot!  The claim more than they did with the GO body, the Revoicing, the ES2; this "biggest" of all changes has been "heavily sold" in marketing terms, which if they fail to deliver (and I respectfully believe these three examples failed to fully deliver), they expend the precious cache of respect and diminish the brand in the long run.  Hyperbole in the marketplace is rampant.  And because we see it, we respect those who don't employ it.  Here's to hoping Taylor delivers, and delivers big! :)

Edward

Edward, you spoke well. FWIW, I agree with you on all counts. I still believe that the GA, the GS mini, the NT neck and the ES1.3 are the true Taylor game changers for me. Maybe I'm old-fashioned, but I'm still drawn to the Taylor signature sound I came to know in the 90s. Prior bracing changes  (CV, AP) have been okay with me, but not better than older Taylors - just different. I have a deep-seated concern that Taylor's (Andy's) newer guitars will lose some of the personality of their original attraction for me (sparkle and balance), and become similar to other more traditional builders' guitars. That would really be a shame if it were to happen. But I too will keep an open mind and give the new bracing a fair test drive.

I guess I'm in the same boat as you guys:  quietly wondering whether all of the marketing hype will be justified...

I've never been blown away by the six-string GO's.  The 12-string GO's have been better in my opinion, but I still seem to gravitate more to the GS 12-strings on the whole.  I've never been "wowed" by the new bracing in any of its incarnations.  And I almost never make use of the ES in any of it's forms, so I can't even really speak to the relative merits of ES1.3 vs. ES2.

So "V" bracing...?  I'll just wait and see -- or rather hear -- for myself...
DN: 360e, 510ce, 510e-FLTD, 810ce-LTD (Braz RW), PS10ce
GA: 414ce, 614ce-LTD, 714ce-FLTD, BR-V, BTO (Makore, 'Wild Grain' RW, Blkwood), GAce-FLTD, K24ce, PS14ce (Coco, Braz RW, "Milagro"), W14ce-LTD
GC: 812ce-LTD TF, BTO TF ('Sinker'/Walnut, Engelmann/"Milagro"), LTG #400
GO: 718e-FLTD, BTO (Taz Myrtle)
GS: Custom 516e, BTO 12's (Taz Tiger Myrtle, 'Crazy' RW), 556ce, 656ce, K66ce, PS56ce ("Milagro")
GS Mini 2012 Spring LTD (Blackwood)
T3/B: Custom (Cu & Au Sparkle)
T5: C1, C5-12, S (Aztec Gold)

jjrpilot-admin

• UTGF Owner
  • Administrator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2018, 11:06:58 AM »
I will say that overall, I've been impressed by the way this community has responded to the V bracing news.   Other places have been pretty hostile. 

I'd just love to try one in person and listen for myself.   ;D
Col 1:15 "that in everything He might be preeminent."
2016 324 (Mahogany top/Tasmanian Blackwood b&s)
2017 Gibson J-45 Standard

Guitarsan

• Veteran Member
  • Keep calm and play on!
« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2018, 01:43:08 PM »
I will say that overall, I've been impressed by the way this community has responded to the V bracing news.   Other places have been pretty hostile. 

I'd just love to try one in person and listen for myself.   ;D

Put some headphones on and listen to this, best video yet, I think. Seriously, don’t bother with crap internal speakers. 
https://youtu.be/KNpwOq_AT30

The two guitars at the end? There is a difference, and I don’t need to be there to hear it. Do you? I confess this is the first video (of 10?) where I thought, ok, I can start to understand the excitement.

For grins, I started playing high G high fret single notes on my 814ce DLX 1st Edition. I'd pluck a single note, then immediately dampen it. There was a lot of sympathetic, audible vibration going on the other strings. Interesting. Maybe this is the disharmony they're referring to, caused by the "chaos" of the X brace design. I'm guessing there's a lot less of that with this V bracing, or what is going on is more in harmony.

At least I'm now interested in hearing it in person.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 04:35:08 PM by Guitarsan »
"The guitar is the perfect drug because when you play it you're in no pain, and when you put it down, there's no hangover." Paul Reed Smith

2021 Taylor 914ce LTD Sinker Redwood/EIR
2016 Taylor GS Mini-e Flamed Koa

Ted @ LA Guitar Sales

• Veteran Member
    • LA Guitar Sales
« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2018, 02:36:19 PM »
Thanks Ted! I was told by my local dealer they would be getting something w/ V Bracing in the 800 series soon....maybe misinformation we'll see.

My pleasure, TLAW. As to V bracing on 800 series guitars, there has been no official announcement as far as I know.

Marco Polo

• Veteran Member
  • James 1:22-25
    • Buick Factory GS Stage1 Registry
« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2018, 02:39:44 PM »
My current guitars move me now.

Once these new guitars hit the market in full force, I'll evaluate if they move me enough to change current inventory.  I seriously doubt the PS56ce is going anywhere.

To add to Edward's excellent post, the 800 series revoicing did not impress me to the point that I needed to sell my 2013 816ce...
Marco
1975 Gibson L6 midnight special
DI - PS56ce
Rosie   - GAce Fall-LTD
Bonnie   - 254ce DLX

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2018, 06:13:51 PM »
....I still believe that the GA, the GS mini, the NT neck and the ES1.3 are the true Taylor game changers for me....

And for me, as well ...gee, it's true that great minds think alike ;)

The GA body came in and changed everything ...decades later we know this to be undeniably true.  Likewise, the NT was indisputably a game changer for the entire guitar-making industry.  The ES1.3 was another improvement in the breed of electronic amplification.  And I totally forgot about the GSmini, yikes what a fabulous guitar! This filled a niche that no one even knew existed ...maybe better to say that it created a niche. 

Taylor is no slouch at innovation, to be sure.  And like any bold thinker, Bob and friends take risks where some don't pan out as expected or hoped (I still secretly wish RT existed, but whatever, I'll be ok ;) ).  And I have nothing but admiration for this courage to step out with "new think" instead of the marketplace's continual "old-think" rehashed, yet rebranded as breakthrough.

So yes, I am very much hoping for the best with the V-bracing.  I just wished they didn't "sell it" so hard and let the innovation sell itself.  It was their innovation and quality that propelled them and made Taylor the force that it is.  So resorting to cheese-marketing-101 is --for me-- a let down for a company that thrived on delivering substance and ultimately let the success do the talking.
I can't find the "beer" emoticon, but here's my toast to Taylor and hope for success on this one!  :D

Edward

DennisG

• Veteran Member
  • Veni Vidi Velcro: I came, I saw, I stuck around
« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2018, 07:28:45 PM »
With all due respect, Edward, I think referring to Taylor's enthusiasm about V-bracing hardly constitutes "cheese-marketing."  If they think the innovation is a game changer, then they're right (and smart) to say so.  Where I completely agree with you is that V-bracing had better live up to their excitement, or they will lose a certain amount of credibility.

For what it's worth, I spoke to the manager of my local store.  He was at NAMM, and he was blown away by what he heard from the guitars -- even though he was hearing them in a noisy room and even though he's a Martin guy.  He was very excited by the prospect of getting these guitars into his store so that he could hear them in a better environment.
-------------------------------------
'21 Goodall GC - master redwood/Macassar ebony
'18 Taylor K14-BE
'18 Taylor 114e
'21 Taylor GT Urban Ash
'15 Martin uke

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2018, 07:59:21 PM »
Fair enough, Dennis!  If they do consider it a game changer, I will take them for their word that they believe it.  :)

Edward

sojiro

« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2018, 11:58:28 AM »
Fascinating discussion. Thanks, all!

And thanks to Guitarsan for posting that YouTube link. That video had the best explanation of the V bracing that I've heard, and the demos were helpful. There's another video of various Taylor artists demoing the new guitars, and this was also useful. Based on these, it seems to me that V braced guitars would benefit players who play a lot up the neck past the fifth or seventh fret, especially lead runs.

I'm a little surprised that the response on this forum and others is mostly negative or at best very skeptical, even before anyone (besides Ted) has played a sample guitar. Why not give Taylor the benefit of the doubt that they know what they're doing where their guitars are concerned? For example, I think it's telling that all the guitars with V bracing are GAs, and don't include other models. This tells me that V bracing hasn't been tuned for other models and isn't ready to roll out.

Looking ahead, I can see that this will probably become like the debates over Tonerite and torrefied tops: some will hear dramatic differences and really love them, and others won't be impressed at all.

For me it's a total non issue until the change makes it down to the lower-end series, and I"m not even tempted to do a demo. I mean, the PS guitars retail for around $xx, and for that kind of money I'd be shopping for a Goodall or Froggy.

I don't want to derail this topic, but someone eluded to something that made me think. There's no question that the classic Taylor sound has changed in recent years, but is that a good thing? Martin is going in a similar direction with their revoiced D18, D28 and Authentics, and the result is certainly a different sound. But is it better? For those old enough to remember, is this possibly another New Coke situation?

For now, I'm good as long as Taylor doesn't start messing with the neck and action. Playability has been Taylor's bread and butter for years, and if they start trying to "improve" it, count me out. ("NEW beefier neck for players who like more to hold onto! Super wide neck for even more room for fingerpickers!")

Cheers.

$, per forum rules
« Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 01:53:06 PM by TaylorGirl »

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2018, 01:02:41 PM »
^^^Good thoughts, sir.

FWIW, if my comments may have come off as negative or skeptical, it was not my intention; and if so it's because I've inexpertly phrased it as such.  This is why I hope for the best for this bracing change.  That regardless of how I ultimately feel, that the change is embraced in a big way by the marketplace ...not by cork-sniffing guitarists, but by the masses who "validate' change with their wallets.  Witness the aforementioned successes like the GA, GSm, ES, etc..  None needed hyperbolic (yes, my opinion here) ad-copy salesmanship as the results yielded instruments customers flat-out wanted, and did so in a big way with sales volume, and this over years.  Not a bad trick ;)

I see not just my own sentiments here, but that of others too, are borne not of "skepticism" but more of "critical analysis" based not just on Taylor's own claim, but on what they have, in fact, produced in the past.  As I had said, some were groundbreaking changes, others not --arguably, "flops" as the market has responded with its vote.  So if the company --one as much as I admire and an industry leader in so many ways-- have claimed "x" and delivered less than "x" well guess what, I have grounds for valid criticism the next time a claim comes around.  This, I believe, is fair, and not negative; nor does it diminish whatever they have already --in fact-- accomplished.  Moreover, upon that next claim, I reserve the right to be bowled over and want to buy it if it does, in fact, pan out to be as they had promised.  I'm just calling em as I see em, that's all.

Further, I don't espouse the "traditionalist" view of a Taylor voice of this and that: I like or don't like what a guitar --any guitar-- brings or fails to bring.  Most certainly, a brand has its own signature tone with Taylor, Martin, et.al. clearly carving their own place in gearland.  So yes, I am a markedly clear Taylor Fanboy for many reasons: key is tone and playability, but its not because of any "traditional Taylor" tone as all my Taylors sound different ...which is why they are keepers.  That said, the revoicing of the 800 series didn't "bother" me in any way.  It wasn't to my liking, but that's cool since many others love/prefer it ...even brought those "non-T" folks over.  Again, not a bad trick!  What would bother me, however, is if Taylor replaced entirely their previous voicing because they felt this new coke ;) were superior ...yeah, that'd be bad for the brand. 

So yet again, I hope the V-bracing does the factory very well, and may indeed sway me.  But with equal vigor, I hope the flavors that already are enjoyed by a great many do not succumb to the great "new and improved" mantra that seems to pervade all too many makers.  I am waiting, somewhat now less eager than before the unveiling because of how they marketed this roll-out, but still eager nevertheless ...albeit with a critical eye and ears wide open, as always.  :)

Edward
« Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 01:07:09 PM by Edward »

nhbiker1961

• My duo
« Reply #40 on: February 02, 2018, 03:10:38 PM »
While the V-bracing may have more sustain or fullness or a better sound acoustically, I doubt it will be worth upgrading for people like me playing in noisy bars. Typically when plugged in, my audience cannot tell the difference between a solid wood Taylor and my 214. What I would like to see them change drastically is the ES2 system starting with the pre-amp and getting it to sound more balanced without compression pedals. Seems like it's too hot or not hot enough depending on the pre-amp. For me, this has been a long time frustration that eventually made my main gigging instrument another brand other than Taylor. I still bring the 214 with me on a few of those quieter gigs but I am looking for a major change in electronics before I buy another Taylor. But I am sure the new V brace will have some people lined up to buy new models. I think its a great sales gimmick but I am looking for something that will actually help what I don't like in Taylors, and for me, the bracing was not the issue. Just my 2 cents.
Taylor 414ce
Taylor 214ce
2-Godin A6
Fender-strat
Fender-teli
Peavey
Washburn 12 String
Godin SD
Epiphone Red Dot
Wahburn dobro
Les Paul
Peavey Bass
2 Fender Basses
Acoustic bass.

timfitz63

• Veteran Member
« Reply #41 on: February 05, 2018, 11:32:20 AM »
PIREP I got from Joe & Todd at Empire Music on the new "V" bracing, which they had the opportunity to sample out at NAMM:  Unlike the "revoicing" done to the 800 Series (et al.), the "V" bracing is not intended to affect overall tone so much as refine some of the shortcomings inherent to soundboards braced with traditional "X" bracing.  Chords and notes played on a "V-braced" guitar should have better sustain; and anything played up on the neck will be in better tune (no note "warbling").  At least those seem to be the major claims Taylor is making.
GA: 414ce, 614ce-LTD, 714ce-FLTD, BR-V, BTO (Makore, 'Wild Grain' RW, Blkwood), GAce-FLTD, K24ce, PS14ce (Coco, Braz RW, "Milagro"), W14ce-LTD
GS: Custom 516e, BTO 12's (Taz Tiger Myrtle, 'Crazy' RW), 556ce, 656ce, K66ce, PS56ce ("Milagro")

DennisG

• Veteran Member
  • Veni Vidi Velcro: I came, I saw, I stuck around
« Reply #42 on: February 05, 2018, 01:59:07 PM »
PIREP I got from Joe & Todd at Empire Music on the new "V" bracing, which they had the opportunity to sample out at NAMM:  Unlike the "revoicing" done to the 800 Series (et al.), the "V" bracing is not intended to affect overall tone so much as refine some of the shortcomings inherent to soundboards braced with traditional "X" bracing.  Chords and notes played on a "V-braced" guitar should have better sustain; and anything played up on the neck will be in better tune (no note "warbling").  At least those seem to be the major claims Taylor is making.

Makes me wonder.  If V-bracing isn't intended to affect overall tone very much (tone being the primary reason we buy a particular guitar), then why is Taylor making such a big deal about it?  Seems to me there was a lot less hoopla over the revoicing, which affected their guitars in a very major way.
-------------------------------------
'21 Goodall GC - master redwood/Macassar ebony
'18 Taylor K14-BE
'18 Taylor 114e
'21 Taylor GT Urban Ash
'15 Martin uke

timfitz63

• Veteran Member
« Reply #43 on: February 05, 2018, 02:39:23 PM »

Makes me wonder.  If V-bracing isn't intended to affect overall tone very much (tone being the primary reason we buy a particular guitar), then why is Taylor making such a big deal about it?  Seems to me there was a lot less hoopla over the revoicing, which affected their guitars in a very major way.

Yeah, I hear what you're saying.  While the "V" bracing seems, on the surface, to be little more than a tweak, the way it was described to me by Todd at Empire was that it addresses sublte-but-persistent things that have apparently niggled at acoustic guitar musicians for a long time -- specifically the way notes played high on the neck seem to 'warble' slightly out of tune.  I get the impression that the increased sustain was just a fortuitous bonus in much the same way that (to draw on an aviation reference) the drag on the F4U was reduced by use of the inverted gull wings, even though the main goal of the wing design in this case was to simply avoid long, spindly landing gear while providing adequate propeller clearance...

Perhaps it's not accurate to say it does not affect tone (those were my words, not Joe or Todd's); but rather that it provides tonal enhancement through the correction of some of the shortcomings inherent to "X" bracing.  Anyway, both Joe and Todd did seem to think "V" bracing was less hype and more substance; both claimed they could hear the improvement even in the noisy room where the guitars were being displayed.  Ultimately, it might just be something that defies explanation until one hears it for themselves...?

Guitarsan

• Veteran Member
  • Keep calm and play on!
« Reply #44 on: February 06, 2018, 12:10:41 PM »

So I've been thinking about all this. (Watch out)  8)

Andy has been clear - his design goal all along was "how do you make a top that is both flexible and stiff?" With the potential corresponding benefit being "increase stiffness, increase sustain" and "increase flexibility, increase volume and projection". So he set about to solve that problem. I'm guessing when he started prototyping his new bracing, he happened to notice "as a byproduct" the guitar also intonated better, then he figured out the why - the soundboard's vibration was more orderly and fundamental. So, maybe not completely, but I'm guessing the intonation was a pleasant surprise. And one that had a benefit for some situations, nevertheless. With all the background and stories, that seems the most plausible scenario.

Now, on to those benefits. I've never questioned my Taylor guitar's intonation, volume, or sustain. Heck, all of my Taylors sustain as much or more than I'll ever need. But for someone playing chords up high (when I play up high, it's typically individual notes) or for someone who sings, I get the potential benefit.

So, I'm not at all tempted by any of this. When I get a chance to try one I will, but I'm in no rush on that.

Last, I do agree with the majority sentiment, Taylor jumped the shark with this announcement.

"The guitar is the perfect drug because when you play it you're in no pain, and when you put it down, there's no hangover." Paul Reed Smith

2021 Taylor 914ce LTD Sinker Redwood/EIR
2016 Taylor GS Mini-e Flamed Koa