Author Topic: ES1 Upgrade  (Read 894 times)

SandyE

• 310 ce
ES1 Upgrade
« on: November 19, 2017, 04:04:16 PM »
Just purchased a 2006 314CE.  A couple years ago the previous owner showed me a receipt where he shipped the guitar back to Taylor where they did an
ES1 upgrade. I never owned a Taylor before so I wasn't familiar with the Expression pickup system.  From what I understand both the ES1 and ES2 have sensors at the bridge, but the ES2
has two additional sensors up the body. Can a 314CE with ES1 be upgraded to an ES2 with the 2 additional sensors? Some internet posts I've read said that there's not that much difference in terms of tone between the ES1 and ES2. Since I can always adjust the EQ on my amp, if such a ES1 to ES2 conversion is indeed possible, what would the benefits of doing so be? I'm a fingerstyle player
who does a lot of arpeggio and I try to express myself though emphasis of sometimes the highs,  and sometimes the lows. Don't do much strumming.  Thanks!!  :D

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
Re: ES1 Upgrade
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2017, 05:46:22 PM »
Hi Sandy,

Not exactly.  You're confusing the terminology: ES2 is a wholly different system from the three ES1 variants.  The upgrade to the ES2 requires milling in the bridge where 3 exposed "hex" head screws are visible which adjusts the pickup which sits behind the saddle.

Compare this to the ES1 where all three variants have in under-fretboard magnetic pickup, and body sensors that are mounted at locations under the soundboard (but not at the bridge).  The ES version 1.2 (second iteration, from 2004-06) is the 9v with two body sensors; the ES 1.3 (third iteration, 2007-10) has the single body sensor and revoiced preamp. 

So you can upgrade either to ES2 --their current ES system-- that will require woodworking modification, or ES1.3 ...if they still offer this system (which I hope they do as it is my favorite that I personally think sounds best).  Give the factory a call and talk it over with them as cost and availability if they still do the 1.3 will certainly vary.

Edward