Author Topic: Hello everyone  (Read 1355 times)

Grum

Hello everyone
« on: November 11, 2017, 10:01:04 AM »
Hi All. Newbie here from Essex (UK).
I have only recently started to learn to play and bought a used 114E. This was about a year ago. I practice and practice but struggle like anything. This may be because I am not very good or maybe at 59 picking up the guitar for the first time is a slow process. Anyway, I am enjoying plodding along in my own little world. I spoke to the wife about my next years birthday (60) and have persuaded her to buy me a 1998 812C. Now I am not allowed to see or even touch this one until the big day but I am determined that when I open the box, I can do it justice. So I have one year to get it together . . .  This 812C is a mighty carrot which is going to taste so sweet.

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
Re: Hello everyone
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2017, 10:33:46 AM »
Welcome to the forum Grum.  That is a great motivator.  Makes you eager to turn 60.  Good luck on the learning process, it is a gas.  BTW, my first Taylor was a 110, I loved it.
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.

Soof

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2017, 10:31:57 PM »
Hey Grum, Welcome !

Being 59 shouldn't pose any problem for you playing guitar.
I stopped in '93 and didn't start again till last year.  I'm now 72.
The only problem I now have, that I didn't when I was younger, is arthritis in my hands and wrists.
Some days it shortens my playing time. But it's no big deal.

So carry! As long as you enjoy playing guitar then you're good to go!

And yes, I think Taylor's 100 series is an excellent guitar.  I have a 110e proto with a mahogany top.  I love the "mellow yellow"sound.  Ah, make that "mellow" sound.  I.m a Donovan fan !!!
Martin D-20 12 string (1970)
Yamaha APX500III
Taylor 110e Prototype (2016)
Fender Squier Vintage Modified 70s Tele
Reville MV-XM (actually a very nice Gibson copy!)
Donner Strat (copy)

jjrpilot-admin

• UTGF Owner
  • Administrator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2017, 07:29:27 PM »
Hi Grum! Welcome to the forum!  And congrats on your Birthday and the 812! I bet it'll sound wonderful! ;D
Col 1:15 "that in everything He might be preeminent."
2016 324 (Mahogany top/Tasmanian Blackwood b&s)
2017 Gibson J-45 Standard

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2017, 07:57:25 PM »
Welcome Grum......to the forum and to the world of Taylor guitars. You have the right idea learning on quality guitars. It makes a huge difference. Enjoy the journey and have fun.
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+
Pono Guileles: Mango Baritone Deluxe ○ Mahogany Baritone

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2017, 10:04:22 PM »
Welcome to the forum. Grum!

Hope you enjoy your stay and the wonderful world of Taylor guitars!

My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood

Jersey tuning

• Veteran Member
  • Quid Me Anxius Sum
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2017, 06:05:46 PM »

I spoke to the wife about my next years birthday (60) and have persuaded her to buy me a 1998 812C. Now I am not allowed to see or even touch this one until the big day

Hi Grum.  My wife bought me a custom Taylor GC (sort of a supercharged 812)  2 1/2 years before a hugh birthday (65) as a gift specific for that birthday.  I didn't wait the full 2 1/2 years to start playing it...............More like 24 hours.........
CURRENTLY PLAYING

'30 Martin 2-17 solid Mahogany
'97 Tacoma PK-30 Sitka/koa
'99 Alhambra 11C classical cedar/EIR
'05 TAYLOR 614ce 
'07 Breedlove Atlas 12-string Sitka/Mahogany
'10 Froggy Bottom "C" Adi/Brazilian   
'11 TAYLOR BTO GC 12-fret sinker/EIR.  
'14 Alvarez Baritone Sitka/Mahogany
'18 Cordoba hybrid Flamenco Euro Spruce/Ziricote
'23 M. Colbert Baritone Alaskan Sitka/Black Limba multiscale with Manzer wedge

Knuckle47

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2017, 10:42:02 PM »
Hello Grum... you've inspired me to turn 65.  Trust me, as of 9 minutes ago, it was not on my list of favorites  ::)    I also never thought you guys were all about the same age...sent in my Medicare application 3 weeks ago !
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 10:45:26 PM by Knuckle47 »
Taylor T5z Cocobolo
Gretsch 6136 White Falcon1965
Gretsch 6118
Gretsch Country Club
Gretsch Brian Setzer
Gibson Les Paul Recording 1971
Gibson J200
Line 6 Acoustic 700
Godin concert nylon synth
Brian Moore iGuitar
Epiphone Joe Pass Emperor ll
1970 Les Paul custom
Fender Tele b-bender
Fender Strat

cotten

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2017, 11:46:42 PM »
Good to have you among us, Grum, especially with a story like yours! You didn't ask for advice, but if you don't mind a little... Be patient with your progress, but at the same time learn how to practice. Too many people learn a few chords and one strum pattern and then just do that forever after. Keep on learning new skills, training your brain and fingers how to do new things. Don't put undue pressure on yourself, but enjoy each step along the learning path. We're all on that same path with you, we're just learning different things. Hope you enjoy your time with us here, and that your 1998 812C will prove to be an effective motivator! (I love my 1995 Cotten 612c!)

cotten
Soli Deo Gloria

Grum

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2017, 01:09:03 PM »
Hi everyone.  Thank you for posting and your kind words.
At the moment, I have decided to do away with a pick. Not sure how smart a move that will be but the pick doesn't quite feel part of me. I don't really want to spend my time strumming but I am not clever enough for finger picking and so I am trying to do a bit of each. I am having a lesson every two weeks and my tutor has put together a couple of songs which includes a bit of melody with a strum in between . . .  its hard but I am enjoying it. The tune I am working on at the moment is 'Dirty Old Town' by Ewan McGregor. A lot of folks think its an old Irish song but actually its an English song about a city called Salford (next to Manchester). My Tutor thinks its a bit above my pay-grade but as I am determined to learn it, he is happy for me to give it a go.  :)
Cotten, I think you are right about learning how to practice and enjoying the practice too . . . 

Grum

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2017, 01:22:56 PM »
Sorry guys . . .  I am cracking up . . .  guitar overload. I meant to say that Dirty Old Town is by Ewan MacColl not McGreggor . . .  wasn't he Obi Wan Kenobi.

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2017, 10:28:53 AM »
Welcome Grum!

And a happy early Birthday wish to you, sir!!  That's a wonderful present to look forward to, and an even better wife who would encourage such madness!  Keepers, the both of them!  :D

Edward