Author Topic: Opinions sought on amp for T5z  (Read 2066 times)

KM Frye

Opinions sought on amp for T5z
« on: November 10, 2017, 08:32:41 PM »
Loving my T5z but not exactly in love with the sound of it through my JC-77.   Actually, the guitar sounds wonderful through the big Roland in 3 of the 5 modes (and the chorus does wonders, creating a nice "chimey" effect), but the amp just is not up to a full-on acoustic setting, whichsame is half the reason I bought the T5z in the first place..

I've looked at Behringer, Fishman and Roland Acoustic- all in about the same price range (about $500 in Canada). Pluses and minuses to all three, so I'm looking to the community to see which of the three  (or perhaps something I haven't thought of yet)  generates the best buzz with T5 and T5z users around these parts.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 08:35:15 PM by KM Frye »
Kevin Frye
Composer, conductor, player

Taylor T5Z
Rickenbacker 370/12
Gretsch 6122 CG
Fender FJ
Beaver Creek classical parlor guitar

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
Re: Opinions sought on amp for T5z
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2017, 05:46:06 PM »
Hi KM,

I am highly biased in this respect, so take it with numerable grains of salt, but here it is: really good acoustic tone and really good electric guitar tone are two different animals.  Some may be pleased with one amp doing both, but I never have, and here's why.

An acoustic amp's primary purpose is to be as acoustically transparent as possible, not coloring the tone so that the guitar's voice comes through.  Contrast this to an electric guitar amp whose very voicing is an integral part of your entire tone, particularly when you get into good tube amps.  It is no overstatement to treat an amp as an instrument in itself, as it has that much potential effect on your tone and dynamics.  That said, solid-state amps tend to offer less color, so this may be your avenue of choice.

There are those who are satisfied with one amp for both voicings.  If you are not, I'd suggest you consider a good A/B box that splits your signal: your "A" side for whatever electric tone you want (say, with your pedalboard and into a tube amp), and the "B" straight into a console/PA system for maximum acoustic tone.  Just a thought for ya :)

Edward

KM Frye

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2017, 02:09:47 AM »
Thanks... hadn't thought of the PA idea.  I was actually finding it a touch ironic. I bought the T5z so that I would not have to carry so many separate guitars, but was now facing the concept of having to lug around a second amp!!

There's a word for that...
Kevin Frye
Composer, conductor, player

Taylor T5Z
Rickenbacker 370/12
Gretsch 6122 CG
Fender FJ
Beaver Creek classical parlor guitar

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2017, 08:32:58 AM »
Thinking it over a bit and found this on a nice L.R. Baggs synapse.  35lbs, but it has plenty of power and some nice features.
https://pegheadnation.com/instruments-gear/new-gear/lr-baggs-synapse/
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2017, 10:55:05 AM »
...I bought the T5z so that I would not have to carry so many separate guitars, but was now facing the concept of having to lug around a second amp!!...
Not exactly.  There are varying degrees in which you can minimize the dreaded gear lug, and that is go straight into the house's PA through a DI box.  So you can have just a DI box for your acoustic tone and go with an amp for your electric, or go DI box for both, though you'd clearly have to experiment with your electric side depending on your existing rig.

And if there is no house PA (and you're it!), then a system like the Bose (et.al.) is a good portable solution where you may want to go direct for both tones if you're truly wanting to pack as light as possible.  There are many good DI's out there, but Radial is killer quality, and have a variety to suit almost every possible situation any gigger can have, particularly that of going direct from a pedalboard and maintaining good electric tone sans amp.  All of this really depends on what your existing rig is, how much you want to pare down, and ultimately how discerning you want to be about your house tone.

Edward