Author Topic: GS Mini: no more ES2?  (Read 8083 times)

Luckymud

GS Mini: no more ES2?
« on: October 23, 2017, 09:58:48 PM »
I happened to see that the recent GS Minis at Sweetwater don't have the es2, and it looks like Taylor is now going with the same barn door controls now as the Mini Bass. Thoughts?

...I think it looks awful :(

troystory92

Re: GS Mini: no more ES2?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2017, 10:49:05 AM »
I talked to a customer service rep about this.

The gs mini is a travel guitar. They didn't even plan on ever putting electronics in it.
But customers wanted it so they did.

Idk why they would downgrade it from the Es-2 but they did. The benefits of the es-b is the tuner and the dramatically extended battery life (I think 300 hours). The sensors are placed the same way as the es-2 (three screws in the bridge) but the pre amp is much smaller and thus, less powerful. I'm unsure exactly how much this affects live sound but the rep told me if I was serious about using it live, to get an es-2.

I played a new gs-mini with the es-b and didn't hate it. I'd have to try it out to see how it sounded through my pa.

I have a gs mini-e hog on back order with the es-2 system, but I don't even know if I'm still getting it. It was supposed to be delivered two weeks ago...

I may just end up trying to find a used one with the es-2 online or get a purely acoustic one and install a pickup, Idk yet. Too many options. I just want the es-2 one :(

Oh well, life goes on

taylorgal

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2018, 06:07:33 PM »
I was really bummed to see this development. I'd been wanting a gs mini koa but really didn't want the barn door. I found a used (very lightly) one on reverb with a few upgrades. Very pleased with it.
2015 512ce 12 fret
2010 512c
2011 Ltd ns214 ce
Holden GS Mini
Seagull Rustic Entourage Parlor
Ovation 1517 Ultra, circa mid 80's
Cigar box guitar made by local builder

tink

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2018, 03:05:10 AM »
Here in the UK (and I guess Europe too) people are struggling to get the right size 9v batteries for the es2 system. I think there is even a Taylor video explaining how to cut off a bit of the battery housing. Ouch!

BarbMaxey

• Sound... makes movement...
    • ReverbNation
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2018, 09:40:58 AM »
I have the GS mini hog— didn’t like the “plug n play, so had an LRBaggs Ibeam I stalked. It does great! Have used it on gigs.  Don’t want to compare it’s sound to my 700’s but plugged in, in small venue; sound is ok. I do like the Ibeam-can mix sound between top mic & under bridge sensors.
Barb Maxey
www.reverbnation.com/barbhamiltonmaxey
https://www.youtube.com/user/sixstringvibes
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2021 Taylor GT811e
2013 Taylor 716ce
2013 Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
2011 Taylor T5 X
2005 Taylor T5 S-1
1963 Guild M-65 freshman
2015 Epi 339 Pro
2009 Composite Acoustic Cargo
2001 DeArmond Bass

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2018, 12:21:57 AM »
Can you order a GS Mini without electronics?  Both of my Gs Minis which are now a few years old do not have electronic and I prefer it that way.
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.

troystory92

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2018, 08:21:22 AM »
Can you order a GS Mini without electronics?  Both of my Gs Minis which are now a few years old do not have electronic and I prefer it that way.

Yes, the Mahogany version now comes with no electronics.