Author Topic: Hey everyone from RI  (Read 648 times)

Bmoney

Hey everyone from RI
« on: October 14, 2017, 08:04:05 AM »
Name is Brian

Been playing guitar (self taught no lessons) for about 25 years...I play the drums and saxaphone as well (those I actually learned from lessons...but havnt played in a looong time)

A floormate in College (UNH) taught me the chords and I figured out songs by ear....I stopped playing for years (probably the last 12 or so) but had my guitar.  Well my kids were watching "Boss Baby" and the parents play BLACKBIRD so I said..I want tolearn to play that!  went down to the basement pulled out my cheapy Fender accoustic electric and hit up youtube.....well I was once again addicted  (especially with ll the lessons on YOUTUBE!)

so...I have been playing non stop since June...I traded in the old fender and grabbed a Martin 000xae.....but got it home and noticed a big space between the neck and body...so that kind of turned me off of entry level martins...so I turned to taylor...

Ordered on GC online store pickup a Academy 14e.  when I went to pick it up I played a 114e...and was like nope...im getting THIS!

so wemth 2 weeks ago with a 114e....and love it. but like all hobbies I have I get upgraditis...and these forums with glorious pictures...doesnt help

a local 324 mahogany popped up on another forum...so I got a great deal on it...and grabbed it...I now have both..and am probably returning the 114e...and making the 324 the family guitar :) (discolsure: at first i couldnt play the 324...the 1 3/4 nut made finding chords harder....but i have adjusted..and the sound is so nice)

anyhow thats my story.....good to be here!

pics of the 324

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
Re: Hey everyone from RI
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2017, 01:53:08 PM »
Welcome to the forum, from a retired alto saxophone player and band geek!  ;D

Very nice 324, congrats!
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+
Pono Guileles: Mango Baritone Deluxe ○ Mahogany Baritone

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

Soof

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2017, 10:07:43 PM »
Welcome Brian !  Tis' a nice place to hang out.

You made a good choice getting those Taylors.

Question: What is the diff between your 2 Taylors.  Can you hear a distinct difference???
Martin D-20 12 string (1970)
Yamaha APX500III
Taylor 110e Prototype (2016)
Fender Squier Vintage Modified 70s Tele
Reville MV-XM (actually a very nice Gibson copy!)
Donner Strat (copy)

cotten

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2017, 02:55:45 AM »
Hi Brian! Good to see your smiling face here. You're among good folks. Hope you enjoy that 324!

cotten
Soli Deo Gloria

Bmoney

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2017, 08:06:15 AM »
Welcome Brian !  Tis' a nice place to hang out.

You made a good choice getting those Taylors.

Question: What is the diff between your 2 Taylors.  Can you hear a distinct difference???

thanks for the welcome!

Good question....I 100% can hear a difference.  the 114e is more twangy and metalic sounding...where the 324 is more dry and full sounding.  they both sound great just different. at first i actially didnt like the mahogany sound...but then realized how full and yummy it is :)...I am a big HT guy and know alot about speakers....and I feel guitars are alot like them in..you need a few days to get used to the new tone to make a choice...otherwise you are just making a decision on what your used to (not to mention what you paid for your new guitar)

the big difference for me was (and cotten can attest to this) the nut.  At first when i got the 324 it was HARD to play...with the wider string spacing.  but his advice was to give it a few days.  so i did....now i love it!  and going bcak to the smaller nut feels like a toy lol. 

but as far 100 vs 300.  there is definitly a difference and its more than just all solid wood vs layered.  the top wood is thicker on the 300 than the 100

Bmoney

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2017, 08:06:48 AM »
Hi Brian! Good to see your smiling face here. You're among good folks. Hope you enjoy that 324!

cotten

thanks my new friend!