Author Topic: Martin Guitars  (Read 6992 times)

Gordo in OZ

Martin Guitars
« on: August 20, 2017, 10:04:19 AM »
What gives all Martin guitars a similar sound? From the cheapest Mexican models to the high end they are quite distinctive? Is it bracing or what?
Taylor 714 CE (2015) USA
Larrivee California SE OM19 (2003) USA
Larrivee L-05 Custom (1995) Canada
Larrivee Maple Special Edition Parlor (2003) Canada
Guild D55 (1974) USA
Marshall AS50D
Mandolins, Autoharps, Concertinas, a Mountain Dulcimer and a Harmonium.

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
Re: Martin Guitars
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2017, 11:08:32 AM »
While many younger companies are still in search of their trademark sound (because there are so many copycats of the traditional sound), Martin has long since become quite comfortable in its own skin. It has a winning formula in its build philosophy that seems to survive its  occasional ventures into alternate approaches that have come and gone.

With innovation comes variation, but Martin continues to revert to its original designs.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 11:10:42 AM by Strumming Fool »
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood

Engelmann

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2017, 01:53:59 PM »
According to Martin themselves, the top three factors they consider are bracing, neck joint, and finish.

Jersey tuning

• Veteran Member
  • Quid Me Anxius Sum
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2017, 01:41:54 PM »
According to Martin themselves, the top three factors they consider are bracing, neck joint, and finish.

.....They all seem to dovetail together  ;D
CURRENTLY PLAYING

'30 Martin 2-17 solid Mahogany
'97 Tacoma PK-30 Sitka/koa
'99 Alhambra 11C classical cedar/EIR
'05 TAYLOR 614ce 
'07 Breedlove Atlas 12-string Sitka/Mahogany
'10 Froggy Bottom "C" Adi/Brazilian   
'11 TAYLOR BTO GC 12-fret sinker/EIR.  
'14 Alvarez Baritone Sitka/Mahogany
'18 Cordoba hybrid Flamenco Euro Spruce/Ziricote
'23 M. Colbert Baritone Alaskan Sitka/Black Limba multiscale with Manzer wedge

cotten

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2017, 02:30:35 AM »
While many younger companies are still in search of their trademark sound (because there are so many copycats of the traditional sound), Martin has long since become quite comfortable in its own skin. It has a winning formula in its build philosophy that seems to survive its  occasional ventures into alternate approaches that have come and gone.

With innovation comes variation, but Martin continues to revert to its original designs.
This makes a lot of sense. Far too much, in fact. I think it's the magic pixie dust.  ;)

cotten

(Love Martins, but still don't own one yet.)
Soli Deo Gloria

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2017, 07:10:38 AM »

This makes a lot of sense. Far too much, in fact. I think it's the magic pixie dust.  ;)

cotten

(Love Martins, but still don't own one yet.)

Darn! I knew I forgot something! I have owned many Martin's over the years. They are fine instruments. For my purposes,  the Taylor signature sound works better than the Martin signature sound - but they're still great guitars any way you slice it.

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2017, 10:17:23 AM »
For my purposes,  the Taylor signature sound works better than the Martin signature sound - but they're still great guitars any way you slice it.

I agree 100%, but I am amazed by the people who belittle my Taylor's. Why?  :-\  >:( I say, play what works for you and let others do the same.  ;) We can all be happy with our choices.  :)
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+
Pono Guileles: Mango Baritone Deluxe ○ Mahogany Baritone

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

cotten

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2017, 11:19:39 AM »
I've noticed something with interest over the years. Taylor players tend to be more kind toward Martin or Gibson players than they are to Taylor players. I'm serious! I often see disparaging comments from players of other builders' guitars toward Taylor, but I rarely see a Taylor player make similar comments toward others. Okay, maybe a bit more toward Gibson than Martin, but it's still relatively rare. I'm not sure why this is, though I could easily speculate. It's just something I've noticed. A lot.

I agree with TaylorGirl, play what you like and let others do the same. Even it they're idiots for not playing a Taylor.  ;D

cotten
Soli Deo Gloria

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2017, 12:46:19 PM »
I agree, cotten. Do you think it's because there's a feeling of threat and fear of what Taylor's doing?   ;)
Susie

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2017, 02:02:12 PM »
I agree, cotten. Do you think it's because there's a feeling of threat and fear of what Taylor's doing?   ;)

Another reason could be that people become aligned with a brand, they have so much emotion invested in it.  It is like a favorite football team, political party etc.  Win, lose, right, wrong does not matter their brand is the only one that matters, and that is that.  All others are substandard in comparison to their brand.  You might say they have scales over their eyes.  But, they secretly know how good Taylors are and it drives them nuts, throwing barbs helps them feel better.
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2017, 04:20:09 PM »

Another reason could be that people become aligned with a brand, they have so much emotion invested in it.  It is like a favorite football team, political party etc.  Win, lose, right, wrong does not matter their brand is the only one that matters, and that is that.  All others are substandard in comparison to their brand.  You might say they have scales over their eyes.  But, they secretly know how good Taylors are and it drives them nuts, throwing barbs helps them feel better.
Yes, that's it too!
Susie

cotten

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2017, 02:19:32 AM »
Not a very scientific poll, but I was talking about this once with a couple of brothers, both dedicated Martin fans who enjoyed poking fun at my 2000 914, until I let them play it. That changed their tune, so to speak. Don't get me wrong. My 914 does NOT sound like a D-28, but it DOES have a nice, distinctive voice that both of them enjoyed. Only after they said that did I ask why all the Taylor put downs previously.

They were not offended, but thoughtful. The older one finally replied, "I think it's a case of liking what I know, more than knowing what I like." He went on to explain that he'd always wanted a Martin, and once he got one, he's never really tried anything else. Playing my Taylor might not have changed his preferences, but it did open his eyes and ears to some possibilities that he had not considered. I suspect his answer is at least part of the equation

cotten.
Soli Deo Gloria

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2017, 07:15:09 AM »
I remember when I was a Martin-only guy. After one of my gigs, a fellow approached me, and after complimenting my performance,  he said, "I noticed you're playing a Martin - That's because they're better than Taylor's, right?"
I replied in a similar way that I responded earlier in this thread, that while Taylor's are fine instruments, I preferred the Martin for my purposes (at that time). My playing style and repertoire have since evolved , but it still holds true, although my preference changed: they're both great guitars,  but you play what you like, while still appreciating the alternatives. Period. The end.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 07:18:58 AM by Strumming Fool »

zeebow

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2017, 12:46:46 PM »
I remember when I was a Martin-only guy. After one of my gigs, a fellow approached me, and after complimenting my performance,  he said, "I noticed you're playing a Martin - That's because they're better than Taylor's, right?"
I replied in a similar way that I responded earlier in this thread, that while Taylor's are fine instruments, I preferred the Martin for my purposes (at that time). My playing style and repertoire have since evolved , but it still holds true, although my preference changed: they're both great guitars,  but you play what you like, while still appreciating the alternatives. Period. The end.

so is your next one going to be a custom 000-45? :) jk

for me, i got exposed to taylor by a youtube band called boyce avenue. ill never forget the first strum on a taylor, it was a 314ce. i played that and a 414ce and fell in love taylors immediately.

i don’t know much about martins, i picked up a couple but they weren’t right for what i needed and i was guitar nirvana with taylor.

gotta love choices!
1995 912C - englemann/eir
2009 xxxv-p - sitka/madagascar
2010 414ce - sitka/ovangkol (made on my wedding day!)
2011 914ce - cedar/eir
2014 martin 000-28 custom - adi/cocobolo
2017 BTO GC 12 fret - lutz/cocobolo
2019 BTO GC 12 fret - cedar/cocobolo
2019 sheeran w03 - cedar/santos rosewood
2019 lowden s35 12 fret - driftwood cedar/cocobolo
2020 lowden s35 12 fret alpine spruce/madagascar
2023 lowden wee wl-35 12 fret - driftwood cedar/madagascar
2023 martin 00-28 modern deluxe - sitka/eir

d18d28

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2018, 12:56:05 PM »
I wouldn't trade my D18 (crisp) nor my D28 (warm and powerful), but that Taylor 360 12 string (mellow) spoke to me from day 1.  I don't really understand guitar snobbery.  There is a lot I don't like about Gibson's CEO, and I've seen lots of inconsistency between identical models, so I'd avoid them, but some of them are keepers too.
Ken in Jax
'15 Taylor 360e SEB
'21 Taylor GS Mini-e Koa plus
'96 Martin D28 Sunburst
'67 Martin D18
'12 Martin 00-DB Tweedy
'92 Augustino CL-A classical
'99 DeNeve dobro (square neck)
Iseman Weissenborn
'10 Bart Reiter banjo
'18 LoPrinzi AK-AR-T ukulele
'13 Kanile'a K-1 T ukulele