Author Topic: So Easy...I Did It Twice  (Read 3785 times)

Marco Polo

• Veteran Member
  • James 1:22-25
    • Buick Factory GS Stage1 Registry
So Easy...I Did It Twice
« on: July 07, 2017, 07:36:15 PM »
I've been dreading the string change on the 12-String...but it was impending.  The string coating was all worn off over the soundhole and various spots over the frets.   I purchased a manual string winder from Ebay and Elixir 80/20 lights from MusiciansFriend in preparation for the day.  All set.  8)

In the beginning of June, I tackled the project.  The string winder made things so much quicker.  After the change, the guitar was not really speaking to me as it did previously.  It lost its voice.  I kept playing, about an hour daily...no changes.   ???

July 4th I had enough.  The guitar sounded dull and thin (worse than before the string change).  I threw a set of D'Addario PB EXP38s on it (in record time).  WOW...that's the cocobolo sound I fell in love with!  The strings made a HUGE difference!  ;D

I've never had a set of Elixir's go flat so quickly (the coating wasn't worn).  They were not brilliant sounding from the start as Elixirs typically are.  Disappointing.  Bad batch of strings?  I don't think they are counterfeit from MF.  Has anyone ever had the same experience? 

Play on!
Marco
1975 Gibson L6 midnight special
DI - PS56ce
Rosie   - GAce Fall-LTD
Bonnie   - 254ce DLX

timfitz63

• Veteran Member
  • Getting better one strum at a time...
Re: So Easy...I Did It Twice
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2017, 08:48:20 PM »
Never personally had that experience with Elixirs.  But I suppose you can get a dud from any manufacturer... ???
DN: 360e, 510ce, 510e-FLTD, 810ce-LTD (Braz RW), PS10ce
GA: 414ce, 614ce-LTD, 714ce-FLTD, BR-V, BTO (Makore, 'Wild Grain' RW, Blkwood), GAce-FLTD, K24ce, PS14ce (Coco, Braz RW, "Milagro"), W14ce-LTD
GC: 812ce-LTD TF, BTO TF ('Sinker'/Walnut, Engelmann/"Milagro"), LTG #400
GO: 718e-FLTD, BTO (Taz Myrtle)
GS: Custom 516e, BTO 12's (Taz Tiger Myrtle, 'Crazy' RW), 556ce, 656ce, K66ce, PS56ce ("Milagro")
GS Mini 2012 Spring LTD (Blackwood)
T3/B: Custom (Cu & Au Sparkle)
T5: C1, C5-12, S (Aztec Gold)

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2017, 09:43:21 PM »
I've been really happy with Elixir PB nano lights on my 12.
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+
Pono Guileles: Mango Baritone Deluxe ○ Mahogany Baritone

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

donlyn

• Veteran Member
  • De gustibus non disputandum
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2017, 10:08:19 PM »
Hey Marco Polo,

What was the guitar model? Was it the PS56? Did you get the guitar new or used?

Do you know what kind of strings were on it before you made the first string change? Do you know what the 'factory' set was (or should have been)?

While unlikely, it's possible that the music store it came from put on a different set of strings at a customer's request.

Just so you know, I have been putting off doing a string change for a while on my 355. So you weren't alone in that. And I'm still putting it off. (Forgive me, Tim.) I think I would rather change three 6-stringers than one 12-stringer. Come to think of it, I have done more than three 6-stringer changes while enduring this procrastination process.

Don
* The Heard:
85 Gibson J 200  sitka/rosewood Jumbo
99 Taylor 355  sitka/sapele 12 string Jumbo
06 Alvarez AJ60S  englemann/mpl lam m Jumbo
14 Taylor 818e  sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10  all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor  all walnut Jumbo
16 Taylor 412e-R SE  sitka/rosewood GC
16 Taylor 458e-R  sitka/rosewood 12 string GO
21 Epiphone J-200  sitka/maple Jumbo
22 Guild F-1512 s/rw 12 string Jumbo

* Tenor Ukuleles:
Kala KA STG
Kala KA APT5 CTG 5 string

Marco Polo

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2017, 12:41:00 AM »
Thanks folks. 

Yes, Don, it's the cocobolo PS56ce.  I bought it used last year and Taylor just did a neck reset and freshened it last November.  Since it was in El Cajon,  I'd wager the strings were Elixir PB lights.  They actually still sounded good...they just looked grungy.

Maybe it was my mistake buying the 80/20s...but I've used them without incident on my 110e for many years.

The string winder made the change so much easier.  I'm glad I bought one.  I don't dread the 12-string change anymore.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2017, 12:48:07 AM by Marco Polo »
Marco
DI - PS56ce
Rosie   - GAce Fall-LTD
Bonnie   - 254ce DLX

donlyn

• Veteran Member
  • De gustibus non disputandum
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2017, 08:20:57 AM »
So I just clicked on the 12-string picture and got an instant blow-up. Lovely looking guitar. If it sounds even half as good as it looks, it's a lifetime keeper.
* The Heard:
85 Gibson J 200  sitka/rosewood Jumbo
99 Taylor 355  sitka/sapele 12 string Jumbo
06 Alvarez AJ60S  englemann/mpl lam m Jumbo
14 Taylor 818e  sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10  all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor  all walnut Jumbo
16 Taylor 412e-R SE  sitka/rosewood GC
16 Taylor 458e-R  sitka/rosewood 12 string GO
21 Epiphone J-200  sitka/maple Jumbo
22 Guild F-1512 s/rw 12 string Jumbo

* Tenor Ukuleles:
Kala KA STG
Kala KA APT5 CTG 5 string

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2017, 08:28:03 AM »
So I just clicked on the 12-string picture and got an instant blow-up. Lovely looking guitar. If it sounds even half as good as it looks, it's a lifetime keeper.
I agree, it's gorgeous!
Susie

Marco Polo

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2017, 09:31:39 AM »
Thank you for the kind words.  More pictures can be found in my introduction thread Here .  I believe they are the same pictures in my signature below.  I truly feel blessed to be fortunate to own such a fine guitar.  The sound...the smell...the vibration in my chest as I play...and the beautiful wood.  I'm still pinching myself every time I remove it from the case.  Now if only my guitar skills could live up to this quality, but I'm working on it.

Actually, all my guitars can be found in the 'Family Snapshot' thread Here.

At this point, I believe I received duds from the factory as I've not experienced DOA strings before...unless MF has started selling counterfeits...
Marco
DI - PS56ce
Rosie   - GAce Fall-LTD
Bonnie   - 254ce DLX

tenbender

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2017, 01:31:51 AM »
Hopefully that was an isolated indecent from Elixer, I have always had good results with them

Marco Polo

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2017, 10:38:13 PM »
About a month ago, I started hearing signs the EXP38s from last July were on their way out...3 months old.  This is about half the life I usually get from Elixirs.  All uncoated treble strings sounded tinny and flat...yuck!  The wound strings were not as bad as unwound...but the guitar sounded 'off' and dull.  I procrastinated ordering another string set...pure laziness.

It's amazing what you find when you clean...a brand new set of Elixir 80/20 lights mysteriously appeared in my cabinet.
I wonder when I bought those?  While I prefer PB, I use what I have.  So tonight was the big change.  It took about an hour.  I took my time, also cleaning/oiling the fingerboard in addition the wiping the body.

These new Elixirs are are so much better than the set above installed last June that started this thread.  They are crisp and clear...exactly what I expect from Elixir. 

I think it was an anomaly that I received a bad set of strings.  I'll bet these new strings last the usual 6 months.  Now I need to order a PB backup set...
Marco
DI - PS56ce
Rosie   - GAce Fall-LTD
Bonnie   - 254ce DLX

TitanUranus

• mullarea
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2017, 06:22:57 AM »

It's amazing what you find when you clean...a brand new set of Elixir 80/20 lights mysteriously appeared in my cabinet.
I wonder when I bought those? 

It appears you may have String Elves...

Tell me this, do your keys ever just "disappear"? Those elves, they have a wicked sense of humor.
I play badly, but I make up for it by being slow.

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2017, 08:24:47 AM »
These new Elixirs are are so much better than the set above installed last June that started this thread.  They are crisp and clear...exactly what I expect from Elixir. 

I think it was an anomaly that I received a bad set of strings.  I'll bet these new strings last the usual 6 months.  Now I need to order a PB backup set...
Is it possible you got a set of fake Elixirs? I know they're out there on Ebay. Just a thought.
Susie

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2017, 12:59:05 PM »
Strings have a shelf life, depending largely on the env't that they're in.  They are metal encased in a coating, but we all know what humidity or salt air can do to metal.  Granted, we're talking a considerable amount of time here, and under less-than-perfect conditions, so in no way am I suggesting they'll go bad like a gallon of milk left on the counter in summer ;)  While I have never gotten a bad set of Elixirs, I had gotten one bad "G" in a set once ...dead as a doornail from the start.  I emailed them and they were kind enough to send me two replacement Gs.  Good folks at Elixir!

This is one reason why D'Addario et.al. have gone to plastic wrapping their sets: less packaging, sure, but also sealed to env't exposure.  Perhaps Elixir will go that way one day.  Or simply buy strings as you need them.

FWIW, I now keep only one set as a spare (used to keep 2-3), and that one set is relegated to the guitar case and never "rotated in" for use ...so my spare strings (elec and acoustic) are old! ...only good for a string breakage or whatever emergency.  Whenever I restring, I have come to now only use a reasonably fresh set.  I have no idea if this had made a difference or not, but heck, it's easy enough to do so has become my new habit of late.  And yes, I suppose I could try and rotate in my guitar-case backup set so as to keep it all fresh, but that would actually require my remembering something else ;)

Edward

Marco Polo

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2017, 08:22:30 AM »
It appears you may have String Elves...
Tell me this, do your keys ever just "disappear"? Those elves, they have a wicked sense of humor.

LOL!  I also found a set of PB mediums for the 816ce...but I've played that guitar so seldom lately it will be a while before I need them
Marco
DI - PS56ce
Rosie   - GAce Fall-LTD
Bonnie   - 254ce DLX

Marco Polo

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2017, 08:24:22 AM »
Is it possible you got a set of fake Elixirs? I know they're out there on Ebay. Just a thought.

Last couple years, I've been buying exclusively from MusiciansFriend.com.

Next strings I will order from Shoreline Music with my AGF discount :)
Marco
DI - PS56ce
Rosie   - GAce Fall-LTD
Bonnie   - 254ce DLX