Author Topic: What is your favorite song to play?  (Read 12925 times)

FrankenTaylor

What is your favorite song to play?
« on: June 13, 2017, 11:45:00 PM »
What is your favorite song to play?

My favorite song  to play is Rock on the water. ;D
"Let your smile change the world, don't let the world change your smile."

(Unknown)

timfitz63

• Veteran Member
  • Getting better one strum at a time...
Re: What is your favorite song to play?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2017, 09:22:02 AM »
If by "favorite" you mean the song you get the most enjoyment or satisfaction from playing, I'd have to say "Sweet Talkin' Woman" by Electric Light Orchestra.  It's got a simple-but-catchy chord progression (meaning I make few mistakes whenever I play it, and it sounds interesting); it's well-suited to a strumming soloist on a guitar (especially a 12-string, which is my particular favorite) while still being recognizable; it's got a simple rhythm (important in my case); and is just a song that I find fun to play.

If by "favorite" you mean a song that you like the most and have learned to play on the guitar, I'd have to say "Dust In The Wind" by Kansas.  For me, it's the consummate acoustic-guitar song and is instantly recognizable when played.  But being primarily a strumming player, and this being a finger-picking song, my ability to play it well is inconsistent -- so it's challenging to me.
DN: 360e, 510ce, 510e-FLTD, 810ce-LTD (Braz RW), PS10ce
GA: 414ce, 614ce-LTD, 714ce-FLTD, BR-V, BTO (Makore, 'Wild Grain' RW, Blkwood), GAce-FLTD, K24ce, PS14ce (Coco, Braz RW, "Milagro"), W14ce-LTD
GC: 812ce-LTD TF, BTO TF ('Sinker'/Walnut, Engelmann/"Milagro"), LTG #400
GO: 718e-FLTD, BTO (Taz Myrtle)
GS: Custom 516e, BTO 12's (Taz Tiger Myrtle, 'Crazy' RW), 556ce, 656ce, K66ce, PS56ce ("Milagro")
GS Mini 2012 Spring LTD (Blackwood)
T3/B: Custom (Cu & Au Sparkle)
T5: C1, C5-12, S (Aztec Gold)

donlyn

• Veteran Member
  • De gustibus non disputandum
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2017, 03:58:25 PM »
If by "favorite" you mean the song you get the most enjoyment or satisfaction from playing, ...

I like Tim's qualified definition, so I will use it. My favourite song to play is "Apache", based off the Jorgen Ingmann version (not the Marvin/Shadows one). It has the advantage of sounding real good no matter which guitar I play it on (even a 12 string, Tim). It has enough tricks to keep it interesting, and is always available for a few more tweaks. Sometimes I play a verse/chorus of "Ghost Riders in the Sky" as an intro, eliding into a 'drumbeat' opening for "Apache" (I hold an Am and rhythmically slap the strings for that effect). Since Ingmann multi-tracked his own recording, and features 'many guitars' (see original album cover for that reference), as a finger-picker I have been able to fill out the piece a bit with just one guitar.

I will extend the answer a bit with my favourite song to do with a vocal, which is currently Buddy Holly's "Love's Made a Fool of You", but done through the filter of Tom Rush's version. More mellow and laid back. Not a complex song, but I just get a kick out of it.

Don

* The Heard:
85 Gibson J 200  sitka/rosewood Jumbo
99 Taylor 355  sitka/sapele 12 string Jumbo
06 Alvarez AJ60S  englemann/mpl lam m Jumbo
14 Taylor 818e  sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10  all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor  all walnut Jumbo
16 Taylor 412e-R SE  sitka/rosewood GC
16 Taylor 458e-R  sitka/rosewood 12 string GO
21 Epiphone J-200  sitka/maple Jumbo
22 Guild F-1512 s/rw 12 string Jumbo

* Tenor Ukuleles:
Kala KA STG
Kala KA APT5 CTG 5 string

Knight

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2017, 07:12:41 PM »
The one I just learned to play from start to finish
Taylor 322                                     (2016)
Taylor 320e                                     (2017)
Martin LXK2                                     (2015)
Martin Road Series 000RS1           (2015)
Guild Mark IV r                                 (1966)
Baldwin Baby Grand             (1955)

Soof

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2017, 10:33:02 PM »
"Apache" and "Ghost Riders" are both excellent.  As is "Dust In The Wind"

For me , my FAVE is "If You Could Read My Mind" by Gordon Lightfoot, (Rainy Day People is also a good one).
They both sound good  on 6 and 12 strings.
Sometimes I try my hand at singing while strumming and picking, but alas, it won't even get me a cup of coffee !

Martin D-20 12 string (1970)
Yamaha APX500III
Taylor 110e Prototype (2016)
Fender Squier Vintage Modified 70s Tele
Reville MV-XM (actually a very nice Gibson copy!)
Donner Strat (copy)

Dakell

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2017, 06:29:02 PM »
My favorite is the first fingerstyle piece I ever learned. Morning Has Broken by Cat Stevens. I really jumped off the deep end trying to get into fingerstyle with it. I had a good friend who recently passed away who was a prolific guitar collector. His favorite guitar was the one he owned the longest. It's a hand made Yairi DY90 they call the super abalone because of its Martin D45 abalone appointments and was made and signed by Kazuo Yairi. My friend always handed it to me first when I'd visit and he wanted me to play Morning Has Broken. He only knew basic chords but liked to hear more advanced stuff on his favorite guitar. He bought it new in 1982 and maintained it in mint condition. When he knew his time was short on earth he asked me to play that song on it at his funeral and then take it home with me. This will be in 2 weeks in Houston, 4 hours from me. He was cremated and they held off on his celebration of life service till then. It's gonna be a tough gig but he was a good friend and it's what he wanted so I've been practicing it relentlessly. I've done some pearl inlay work and am thinking about about doing a small piece on the lower bout of In Loving Memory Dave Grana. I think it would go good with the massive amount of abalone already there. That song will be forever cemented as my favorite and I'll have a stellar cannon to play it on as well.

Epic Audio

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2017, 09:19:44 AM »
Cool topic. My favorite song to play is always the one those listening enjoy the most... Love songs to my fiance work pretty well as do silly songs like Sushi-Yucky for my young nieces or 80's classic rock for my friends of that era.

When I am playing for myself my favorite changes with mood, thoughts, what strikes me at the time, last music I heard, how the guitar sounds and feels at that moment (as it tends to change) and environment. Sometimes I really enjoy playing songs I played in my college band (brings back a lot of great memories). Other times I like to play originals a good friend of mine wrote or even my originals. Sometimes I want to play a song for the sake of the song, sometimes I want to play for the guitar (to hear and feel the nuances of the tone). I will often switch from having my favorite being one recently written or learned to one of the oldest. 

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2017, 10:03:32 AM »
I have many favorites, so it's too difficult to choose just one. But, I just recently taught myself "Kentucky Sunrise Waltz", like Jim Hurst plays it, fingerstyle. Love it. Now I'm working on "Remember When" (Alan Jackson) for a friend who loves to sit and listen to me play. It was sung at their wedding. It's a really pretty song. I'm always discovering new, wonderful songs. My mandolin-playing duo partner has also got us into a lot of songs that sound great together. Music is so fun. Oh, and Hector the Hero is very cool.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2017, 12:23:56 PM by TaylorGirl »
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+
Pono Guileles: Mango Baritone Deluxe ○ Mahogany Baritone

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

Jersey tuning

• Veteran Member
  • Quid Me Anxius Sum
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2017, 11:59:29 AM »
As a singer/player my favorite song is "Behind Blue Eyes" by the Who.  Enough interesting fingerstyle playing plus great lyrics.  Honorable mention to Joni Mitchell's Urge For Going. and the Door's Crystal Ship
CURRENTLY PLAYING

'30 Martin 2-17 solid Mahogany
'97 Tacoma PK-30 Sitka/koa
'99 Alhambra 11C classical cedar/EIR
'05 TAYLOR 614ce 
'07 Breedlove Atlas 12-string Sitka/Mahogany
'10 Froggy Bottom "C" Adi/Brazilian   
'11 TAYLOR BTO GC 12-fret sinker/EIR.  
'14 Alvarez Baritone Sitka/Mahogany
'18 Cordoba hybrid Flamenco Euro Spruce/Ziricote
'23 M. Colbert Baritone Alaskan Sitka/Black Limba multiscale with Manzer wedge

Marco Polo

• Veteran Member
  • James 1:22-25
    • Buick Factory GS Stage1 Registry
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2017, 04:42:11 PM »
I have several favorites that put a smile on my face and make me feel good....

Boston's 'More Than A Feeling' stands out...in addition to 'Hitch A Ride'
Marco
1975 Gibson L6 midnight special
DI - PS56ce
Rosie   - GAce Fall-LTD
Bonnie   - 254ce DLX

HondaMC1

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2017, 02:28:50 PM »
"Asking Too Much of You"
Written by Toy Caldwell from The Marshall Tucker Bands "Together Forever" album.
Still sang by Doug Gray at concerts.
Taylor 814ce
Taylor GS Mahogany FLTD
Taylor 654ce 12 String Red/Maple
R. Taylor Style 1 Spruce / Maple
Taylor T3 Bigbsy Tobacco
Taylor T5 Koa
Taylor T5 12 String Black with Inlay (sold)
Taylor Solidbody Standard Tobacco (sold)
K4
Genz Benz Shen Pro 200
Roland AC60
Carvin X100B - PA620
Bogner 40/20w
Bose L1 and LII w/ B2 subs

donlyn

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2017, 05:44:00 PM »
... Honorable mention to Joni Mitchell's Urge For Going.

Interesting, in that when I posted that link to Tom Rush's "Urge for Going", I would have said 'Urge' was my favorite for guitar and vocal (again, done through the filter of Tom Rush's version). However that youtube link led me to Tom Rush's version of Buddy Holly's "Love's Made a Fool of You", which has somehow become my latest fun song to do.
* The Heard:

* Tenor Ukuleles:
Kala KA STG

Jersey tuning

• Veteran Member
  • Quid Me Anxius Sum
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2017, 11:07:11 AM »
... Honorable mention to Joni Mitchell's Urge For Going.

Interesting, in that when I posted that link to Tom Rush's "Urge for Going", I would have said 'Urge' was my favorite for guitar and vocal (again, done through the filter of Tom Rush's version). However that youtube link led me to Tom Rush's version of Buddy Holly's "Love's Made a Fool of You", which has somehow become my latest fun song to do.

My version is 90% Joni, 10% Tom.  Both do it in "A" form capoed. 
CURRENTLY PLAYING

'30 Martin 2-17 solid Mahogany
'97 Tacoma PK-30 Sitka/koa
'99 Alhambra 11C classical cedar/EIR
'05 TAYLOR 614ce 
'07 Breedlove Atlas 12-string Sitka/Mahogany
'10 Froggy Bottom "C" Adi/Brazilian   
'11 TAYLOR BTO GC 12-fret sinker/EIR.  
'14 Alvarez Baritone Sitka/Mahogany
'18 Cordoba hybrid Flamenco Euro Spruce/Ziricote
'23 M. Colbert Baritone Alaskan Sitka/Black Limba multiscale with Manzer wedge

donlyn

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2017, 03:03:40 PM »
My version is 90% Tom, 10% me, and I do it in A, no capo; I like open strings. Any Joni influence is purely coincidental, probably Tom's fault.  ::)
* The Heard:

* Tenor Ukuleles:
Kala KA STG

Guitar Cowboy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2017, 08:21:52 AM »
I agree with Knight ... the one I'm trying to  learn well enough to play in front of people. Currently its Bon Jovi's "Wanted Dead Or Alive . My wife and I were in Phoenix a month ago and we almost always see this "Singing Cowboy -Marshall Pioneer Pepper "  He does Ol' Time Cowboy Songs like Happy Trails, Red River Valley,  Rawhide , etc.  We've seen him numerous times and he's always getting requests to play newer country  and he never does them , claiming that's not what he does...very understandable. This last time , however, on his last song,  he busted into the opening lick for "Wanted"  and proceeded to play it all the way through. It was great, the crowd loved it, and I said to myself " Ooh, there's one I can do. I've been having fun with it and I'm hoping to play it at my July open mic.
Steve
2020 326ce V-class soundhole cutaway prototype
(Mahogany/Urban Ash)
2019 E14 Limited Edition V-Class (Spruce/Ebony)
2019 814ce V-Class (Cedar/Rosewood)
2016 GS mini-E Koa
2015 618e 1st Edition (Torrified Spruce/Maple)
2014 K26ce (AA Koa- Wildwood CV) 
1980-something Yamaha  FG345II Dread