Author Topic: Who would want to be a song writer!  (Read 3208 times)

Dakell

Re: Who would want to be a song writer!
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2017, 08:23:33 AM »

At this point, the modern Nashville songwriting and arranging systems have found a way to make money (which is fine), but in the process have become a parody of what they once were.

Of course I don't personally know any of you or anything about you so please don't get butthurt by my observation.

For the most part, we're all adults here, so there's no need to speak to us like we are thirteen-year-olds.  ;D

Formulaic hit songs have become the norm in almost every genre of music wouldn't you agree? It is what we have ascended to with corporate song creation factories and computer software programs that create "music". I can't think of a rock song in the past 25 years that sticks in my head like countless ones from the 70s still do! Of course my tastes harken back to when individuals wrote songs and worked out their own arrangements with their band, and visionary producers. As for contemporary country, don't even get me started as I totally agree with you. I'm reminded of a meme I saw recently that was a pic of George Strait saying "Luke Bryan? Never heard of her". Even the stage antics of current country performers leaves me wanting far less.

As to your second comment about me speaking to you as children, I'm at a total loss as to how you perceived that as my intent. Possibly because the term butthurt is one I lifted from my grandkids current vocabulary? I don't know. I can assure you it was the farthest thing from my intent. As I said, I don't know any of you personally, and particularly nothing about you. This reminds me of how on another guitar forum I traded comments with a guy several times discussing country music (I was always in agreement with him). I even went out and found the exact guitar to buy he recommended. When I asked him about his current career path he posted a pic of himself as being Shania Twain's guitarist! As far as I know, on this thread here at UTGF I could've been replying to an incredibly successful songwriter. In any case, please accept my heartfelt apology for any offense you might have felt from my comment. I'm still learning the culture here!

tedtan

« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2017, 11:43:29 AM »
Formulaic hit songs have become the norm in almost every genre of music wouldn't you agree? It is what we have ascended to with corporate song creation factories and computer software programs that create "music". I can't think of a rock song in the past 25 years that sticks in my head like countless ones from the 70s still do! Of course my tastes harken back to when individuals wrote songs and worked out their own arrangements with their band, and visionary producers. As for contemporary country, don't even get me started as I totally agree with you. I'm reminded of a meme I saw recently that was a pic of George Strait saying "Luke Bryan? Never heard of her". Even the stage antics of current country performers leaves me wanting far less.

I'm definitely in agreement with you there.

As to your second comment about me speaking to you as children, I'm at a total loss as to how you perceived that as my intent. Possibly because the term butthurt is one I lifted from my grandkids current vocabulary? I don't know. I can assure you it was the farthest thing from my intent. As I said, I don't know any of you personally, and particularly nothing about you. This reminds me of how on another guitar forum I traded comments with a guy several times discussing country music (I was always in agreement with him). I even went out and found the exact guitar to buy he recommended. When I asked him about his current career path he posted a pic of himself as being Shania Twain's guitarist! As far as I know, on this thread here at UTGF I could've been replying to an incredibly successful songwriter. In any case, please accept my heartfelt apology for any offense you might have felt from my comment. I'm still learning the culture here!

I intended my comment as good natured ribbing (hence the smiley) because that term is common among teenagers today. I took no offense from your comment nor was any intended by mine.

My apologies if the joking nature of my comment didn't come through in print.

Knight

« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2017, 01:29:33 PM »
From the responds I am understanding that:
1. You form a band, perform music well known by the group of people listening so they feel comfortable listening  to music they recognize performed by artist they like
2. Later as your band progresses,  the music is twisted, tuned to the bands style but still remaining familiar to the audiences. They still recognize the music but realize the band has changed up the song. This enables the band to baby step into their own style with hopes of retaining fan base
3. When your band has become recognized then out of necessity you need to perform original music that your band members either write or are purchased.
Taylor 322                                     (2016)
Taylor 320e                                     (2017)
Martin LXK2                                     (2015)
Martin Road Series 000RS1           (2015)
Guild Mark IV r                                 (1966)
Baldwin Baby Grand             (1955)