Author Topic: Taylor Limiteds - Are they just about the looks?  (Read 14899 times)

BigSkyTaylorPlayer

• Veteran Member
  • Are we there yet.....
Re: Taylor Limiteds - Are they just about the looks?
« Reply #45 on: January 01, 2018, 10:45:46 AM »
My first Taylor was a 516 Fall Limited it was an upgrade from a 20YO $150 Yamaha, I didn’t know anything about guitars and was in the market for a mahogany.  I played a few and the guy brought out the 516 which that year was a Koa B&S...well, hello there beautiful.

I played it and my husband said buy it and here were are 7 years later and I love it.  Then I bought a new Mini, traded it in on a 566 Koa, and later added the Holden Village Mini.

I do think the limiteds are worth it, priced separately they are more expensive and they are...well, limited so not that many are out there.

So yeah the looks draw me in but the build and the value kept me...YMMV.

Have fun!

msbedard

« Reply #46 on: January 23, 2018, 05:47:58 PM »
I just purchased a used 2016 416ce Fall LTD that is a cedar/walnut combo. Haven't had it long but enjoying every minute of playing time.

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #47 on: January 23, 2018, 09:03:28 PM »
I just purchased a used 2016 416ce Fall LTD that is a cedar/walnut combo. Haven't had it long but enjoying every minute of playing time.

Hi mdbedard, welcome to the forum.  I bought a 414ce LTD in 2006 it was also a walnut back and sides, but with Sitka top.  I enjoyed it very much.  It takes a while for it to open up, but is wonderful in all its Taylor awesomeness.   
« Last Edit: February 03, 2018, 09:04:27 AM by MGap »
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #48 on: January 24, 2018, 10:17:21 AM »

Cedar top is one of my top-two favorites for tone and build!  And in a GS body adds even more to this wood combo, in my eyes and ears.  Congrats, enjoy it, and big welcome to the forum!!  :D

Edward

EFG

« Reply #49 on: January 31, 2018, 08:26:18 AM »
  Recently added a Taylor ( my first ) to the herd. Long time Martin fan with several in
  my collection along with a couple of Gibsons.  I played many different Taylor shapes
  and tonewood combos. Most sounded and played great but I wanted something different
  than the Martins and Gibsons. I found it in a 2016 514ce Limited Edition with a cedar
  top and granadillo sides and back. It is both beautiful looking and great sounding. And the
  Taylor complements the rest of the herd with it’s unique sound and striking looks
  Bottom line IMHO the Limited Editions offer a wonderful bang for the buck on all fronts.
    Ed

Sprintbob

« Reply #50 on: February 02, 2018, 07:52:44 PM »
My 2017 714ce 12 fret with cedar top, Koa back and sides, 12 fret short scale neck, and GA body dimensions is not another pretty face. It’s a brilliant execution of tonewoods and design that should become a standard model.
Collings 0001A (Adi/Mahogany)
Cordoba GK Pro Negra (Spruce/EIR)
Froggy Bottom H-12 (Adi/EIR)
Rainsong P-12 (all carbon fiber)
Robinson 12 Fret SS Dread (Spruce/Mahogany)
Santa Cruz Skye 00 (Adi/Cocobolo)
Taylor 714ce 12 fret (Cedar/Koa)
Taylor K-22ce 12 fret (all Koa)
Taylor 562ce 12 fret (all Mahogany)